protection while hunting

Thomcro

Do any of you wear hearing protection while pheasant hunting? Have you found a product that works well?

I used Otto electronic ear plugs for a few years and like them. Last year I found out that I could use my HSA account to buy some SoundGear Custom fit ear plugs and they are really nice!

The hearing in my left ear is pretty much already shot because of hunting and shooting over the years and there's no way to reverse it. I have to wear a hearing aid to hear anything at high frequency nowadays. I do not wear it when I hunt.

My advice to anyone that still has their hearing left is to protect it. Once you damage it, there's no solution. Prevention is the only way.

I use a custom-fit ear mold that you can custom-fit with hot water:
percusive ear molds
I like these because they are relatively inexpensive,
they are custom-fit to your ears,
they are not affected by high winds,
they do not require batteries,
and they allow normal hearing until a shot triggers the percussive filter.

I'm still trying to find the right hearing protection. In my Army days, I dealt with explosives pretty much all the time and am trying to minimize any additional hearing loss. I have tried Walker Ear electronic hearing protection and I don't like the background noise that you get when it's windy. I have worn muffs but I can't hear the wing beat when a birds busts. This fall I am going to try Orvis Adaptive Hearing Protection. Apparently, they allow low level noise through and cancel out high decibel noise really well. I will let everyone know how they work after I shoot a few hundred rounds down range.

I use a custom-fit ear mold that you can custom-fit with hot water:
percusive ear molds
I like these because they are relatively inexpensive,
they are custom-fit to your ears,
they are not affected by high winds,
they do not require batteries,
and they allow normal hearing until a shot triggers the percussive filter.
I tried these, twice. Adhered to their fitting instructions to a "T". I was shooting skeet. After a round my ears were ringing so badly I might as well have worn nothing. There is no magic in life (the percussive filter) in my opinion. I returned the product.

I tried these, twice. Adhered to their fitting instructions to a "T". I was shooting skeet. After a round my ears were ringing so badly I might as well have worn nothing. There is no magic in life (the percussive filter) in my opinion. I returned the product.
I have not had any problem with them shooting 100 target sporting clays for 2 years.

I did have a problem with a custom molded pair from my audiologist...
my ears would have ringing for a couple days after shooting 7/8 oz loads in skeet.
Turned out to be ear wax acting as a tuning fork....problem solved after the audiologist cleaned out all that ear wax.

I've never found any percussive filter to work as good as standard plugs and or muffs. I'll use them for hunting, but if I'm gonna be shooting a lot, aka clays, no way I'd use any percussive filter product.

I use standard Razor compact ear muff; 1) for sound deadening and 2) they help keep my ears warm! I've tried percussive ear plug and just can't get comfortable with them. I use Bose noise canceling ear muffs on planes as I just can't keep ear pods in my ears.

Back