Preferred Shotgun for Pheasant Hunting

Good morning everyone - I continue to try to learn as much as possible about pheasant hunting, only getting into it now in my early 30s. I'm assuming that this has been discussed ad nauseum but my question is, what is your preferred shotgun for pheasant hunting, in terms of both style and gauge? If you feel like responding why you like that style/gauge, that could also be very insightful. I'm trying to figure out which direction to go myself.

Thanks again,

Brian

Be prepared for many unique and different answers to this one so I'll get it started. Personally my old A5 Sweet Sixteen drops birds like a hammer but in all honesty I prefer to carry a Browning Cynergy Field in 20 gauge. The gun carries light, swings great and drops birds. That's all I need.

There are many fine shotguns to choose from. The one will be the one YOU shoot best whether it is an auto, double or pump. If it fits you and you can hit with it consistently that will be the one. Be prepared to buy and sell a few without remorse when they don't work for you or go the custom fit route with a gun you really like.

Personally I have always shot O/U Citori Superlight's. They fit me the best and I shoot them well. I have used pumps, autos, and even SXS's but always come back to my Citori's. I do have to admit I am trying to use a SxS now as I think it is pretty classic to kill birds with a side-locked 12ga similar to an AyA #2. If I can't get it to shoot for me it will go on the block.

12 gauge is my preference as I handload all my shotshells and can tailor loads to the particular game I am chasing from light to heavy. You really can't go wrong with a 12. They have a lot of advantages. You can almost always find pheasant loads everywhere. I know of a gas station in Nebraska that sells them. Most of the guys you'll be around shoot 12's so if you run short you can borrow some or you can find two freshly lost shells in the road like I did last Saturday :rolleyes: (Fiocchi #5 1-1/4oz).
I do have the 20ga Citori I started hunting birds with. It has seen many miles and killed many birds. It has even been reblued once. It is a great gun but I like my 12's.

Barrel length will also be a consideration. I run 24" and 28" Citori's. I really like my 24". It's short and mounts like a dream. Love it for early season birds with open chokes. Tremendous grouse gun. My later season gun is a 28". The extra 4" of barrel make my swing easier in heavier clothing shooting at birds that are farther out. The 28" also patterns better with the heavier loads I use in Dec and Jan. Longer barreled guns tend to swing easier than short barreled guns.
Inter changeable chokes will be a key component. It is great feature to go form open to tight when the situation or season calls for it. When I start shooting grouse in Sept I have a cylinder choke in the bottom barrel and an IC in the top. As season progresses I slowly tighten up the chokes until I have light modified in the bottom barrel and modified in the top (combination I am currently using).

No matter what you pick just make sure it shoots for you otherwise it is nothing more than a walking stick that goes "boom"....

Last edited:
I hunt with a browning maxus and have also used my beretta. For some reason nothing beats my grandpa’s Remington wing master it seems to be the straightest shooting shotgun I own.

I have been shooting a light 20 ga SxS double trigger 20 gauge , it has choke tubes and 3inch chambers , We encounter both Quail and pheasant on our hunts ,I normally run lead 7,or 6’s in my Ic tube and lead 5’s in the modified tube , If running steel 5 ‘ in the open tube and steel 3’s in the modified tube , I really enjoy the instant choice of choke and load ,I was blocking for a buddy on a set of old railroad tracks this lacs weekend and had a Rooster get out long I quickly selected the tight tube loaded with 5 Praire Storm and he went tumbling , Make mine a light 20ga SxS with two triggers :

I have been shooting a light 20 ga SxS double trigger 20 gauge , it has choke tubes and 3inch chambers , We encounter both Quail and pheasant on our hunts ,I normally run lead 7,or 6’s in my Ic tube and lead 5’s in the modified tube , If running steel 5 ‘ in the open tube and steel 3’s in the modified tube , I really enjoy the instant choice of choke and load ,I was blocking for a buddy on a set of old railroad tracks this lacs weekend and had a Rooster get out long I quickly selected the tight tube loaded with 5 Praire Storm and he went tumbling , Make mine a light 20ga SxS with two triggers :

I do the same thing with my 20 gauge sxs. If you're hunting roosters with pointers the shots came be really close and the 7's or 6's in the IC is all it takes.

I shoot a Browning Maxus. I'm 6'3" so its nice that it comes with spacers to add to the LOP. Most firearms feel too small. My 6'5" son shoots a Winchester SX4 which also allows to add to the LOP and is very light. I carried it afield and it was a joy to carry and shoot and about $500 cheaper than the Maxus. Both are 3.5" guns since we do a lot of waterfowling as well

I'm like JMc. All I carry in the pheasant fields any more is my 1960 Belgium Sweet Sixteen. 26" vent rib barrel choked IC. If I do my job it does everything my 12's use to do and it's the "Sweetest" shooting shotgun I've ever had.

I seem to take my gun cabinet with me on all trips.....I have O/U in 12 and 20, sxs in 12 and 16 and 870's in 12 and 20. For me it is all mental, if I'm struggling with one I switch. I shoot the next one till I start struggling again. All three gauges have been very effective in taking down pheasants. Find a gun that fits you well and you shoot well. The makes of my shotguns are Browning o/u and add, Remington 870 and o/u, lc Smith and and kassner o/u. Kassner and lc Smith get most rounds sent down range.

I prefer either 26 or 28" barrels depending on the cover hunting, 26 woods, either length prairies. My kassner is a 20 o/u with double triggers, but with heavy loads if i fire back trigger it fires both barrels. This is my preferred gun very light weight and comes up very natural for me. My LC, is newly acquired and 16ga 28" barrels. Has double triggers. Like many have said before have a child choice is nice, I prefer double trigger to single select, have been caught in no man's land when barrel was not fully selected. I do forget some times when shooting my single trigger double barrels, but usually only once. Chokes on all my doubles are fixed most IC and Mod, one o/u is mod and full as I shoot trap with it too.

Last edited:
...I prefer double trigger to single select, have been caught in no man's land when barrel was not fully selected. I do forget some times when shooting my single trigger double barrels, but usually only once. Chokes on all my doubles are fixed most IC and Mod, one o/u is mod and full as I shoot trap with it too.

It's interesting to see how many people on this thread use side by sides. I also like avoiding the potential problem of the shooting barrel not being fully selected by using double trigger guns, although I do use single trigger guns when I have to wear heavy gloves. I use LM and IM chokes most of the time.

I'm no expert on the matter of shotguns or pheasants, and only have one option. I carry a Franchi Affinity 12, 28". Its a nice light weight semiauto, easy to carry, fits me great and swings nice. I keep a modified choke in it for pheasants.

First of all regardless of what gun it has to fit reasonably well. If it doesn't you won't be happy with it. That said... if you absolutely have to have it there are talented gunfitter/stockmakers that can make it fit.

Personally, for hunting I prefer Autoloaders, always have for hunting. In My case I have two, both 28" barrels. A Beretta A302 in 12 Ga. which is 33 years old and has been relegated to back-up gun and my main gun a Beretta A391 Urika also in 12 Ga. The 391 was a specially made for Cabela's model that ran for a couple years nicknamed the "ultralight" which has silver colored receiver and tips the scales at just under 7 lbs. I like the little bit extra firepower they have over the doubles. You may be wondering about my Avatar and I do have a 725 Sporting in 32" that I use for Sporting Clays only.

It's a personal preference..
There are MANY different types of shotguns for Pheasant hunting... O/U, SxS, pump or autoloader. And many different brands (Benelli, Browning, Beretta, Remington, CZ, Franchi, etc..) Do you know what gauge of shotgun you would like to shoot? Many hunters use 12ga, 20ga, 16ga or 28ga for pheasant hunting.

You'll need to see which fits you best (function, weight, size, gauge, price.) I may like the function/action of a O/U, but someone else may prefer a autoloader. It's preference. I would suggest going to your LGS and handle a few different brands & styles to help you narrow down your choices.
I'm not sure what you're budget is like, but they can get "expensive".

I prefer 12ga, but I would not hesitate to pick up a 20ga or 28ga shotgun if I found a good deal on one.
I use an old 12ga pump and a 12ga autoloader for pheasant hunting. I would like to add a O/U to the collection.

I have a preference for pumps (12 ga.), for some reason. Maybe because I tell myself the pumping action lowers the barrel for the second shot. I had my grandfather's Browning A5 autoloader, and it just didn't feel right.

But, as was said above, make sure the gun fits, either when you buy it, or have it fit by a fitter. It cost me $300 to have mine fit, but it made a difference right away.

After being sure the gun fits you, spend time at the range every off-season. That makes a huge difference in killing birds, vs. just winging them. I can tell when I have not gone to the range, as I don't drop birds as well come hunting season. Practice, practice, practice.

Enjoy whatever you get!

I carried a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12ga pump for years and it never ever failed me. It only used 2 3/4" shells but that was just fine with me. I recently switched to a Baretta Urika 391 and it took a little bit to get used to but it's also a great gun. I only use Federal copper coated #5 or Kent Fastlead #5 and they work great in both guns.
All the information posted here is very helpful and informative but can be confusing. Bottom line to me is: If the gun doesn't fit right and you're not comfortable with it, then you won't enjoy a day in the field. Compare this to a pair of boots, if the boots don't fit but they are $300 boots, would you want to wear them all day?
Also, remember that all firearms will require upkeep and maintenance at some time. SXS's and O/U's are the easiest to care for followed by pumps then auto loaders. Do you have the capability and confidence to break down an auto loader for maintenance or will you need to find/pay someone to do this for you? Just my thoughts. Good luck for n your search.

My preference is for an O/U 16 ga with extractors, because I hate leaving shells in the field. I also consider guns tools, so I shy away from guns I’d be scared to get scratched or wet or worn. I shoot an old Marlin Model 90 most of the time on pheasant, though I’ll occasionally carry an old 16 ga. Wingmaster or Ithaca Model 37 if I’m in pretty likely quail country, because I often need those extra rounds...

I’ll cop to a strong preference/bias for American made products, even used.

I guess since you say you’re just getting into it I feel I should point something out. Hunting with the right dog and in the right place at the right time absolutely overshadows the importance of what gun you are shooting with. I’m not saying it’s not important, and I’m not saying that talking about it and shopping, fitting, practicing etc... is not an absolute joy, just that you should not let it take your focus away from covering off those other, much more important aspects of getting started. Of course, those others are the subjects of many other threads, and you’ll have fun going through those too. But if you gain access to the right productive covers and hunt over a good dog, you can probably kill them with a tennis racket! LOL

As far as guns go, for what it’s worth, my prediction would be that you will likely go though a few guns until you find one that is 'right' for you. I wouldn’t worry about that - guns, especially high quality ones, hold their value for resale like not many other purchases, so resale and trades is always an option. For me, I started with a semi, having been a duck hunter before I was a pheasant hunter, so that’s what I had (Beretta xtrema II). That was fine, but I found that my third shot was usually a wasted Hail Mary, but also I’ll admit it - I grew envious of the 'look' of a few guys I hunted with using doubles. A plastic camo gun just didn’t 'fit' with Pheasnt hunting for me. I wanted a more traditional look to go with my new waxed cotton chaps! LOL LOL LOL I tried an inexpensive OU and it fit me poorly. It was not valuable enough to invest in fitting it, so I sold that and bought a beretta 686 OU ultralight. I loved the beautiful fit and finish, so I had it fitted to me. I shot better with it fitted for sure, but it was so light that it beat me up when practising, and its light weight also meant that it didn’t seem to swing or follow through very well. It’s comes to the cheek very quickly and I love it for grouse and woodcock to be able to throw up the Gun and snap off a few quick shots. But for pheasants I ended up getting a regular weight OU 687 silve pigeon II beretta with beautiful wood that I loves the look of. I had that fitted as well and now, five years later, I’ve never looked back. It makes me happy to own for it’s high quality, reliability and yes, for its fine looks and fit and finish. It shoots where I look and follows through beautifully, and I kill far for pheasants than I miss with it. But, when it comes right down to it, I’d trade those fine guns in for a rusty old Cooey single shot if I could not have my beloved DOG and my treasured COVERS. ��
Dave

Back