Prairie Storm $24.99 a box!

Cabela's has them for $18 or $19 a box. Bought two boxes of fiochhi golden pheasants and one box of prairie storm. I've been switching off and on between the two. So far ever bird shot with the federal is doa, the fiochhi not so much. Could be my shooting and in my head but I will be switching to the federal's next time I restock. If I went through cases of shells the price might bother me but I dont.

gander mt. is one of the worst places to buy anything.way overpriced on everything even on sale priced items!!! I buy from the small guy and get a good deal and good fellowship from my hunting and fishing buddies!

In a economy like we have now, a company decides to introduce a high end shotgun ammo that is near twice the price in some cases. Brilliant....They should fire their whole marketing department.

Onpoint, part of the deal with the Prairie Storm shells is that a percentage of each sale goes to Pheasants Forever. I don't know what percentage that is, but suspect it may be at least a couple bucks anyway and maybe more. The other part is most likely the "flightstopper shot". More costly to manufacturer I guess. Either way, when it comes to ammo, it's like the ole saying goes "It's the indian not the arrow" that does the killi'n.

I think you are paying for mostly hype if you buy this ammo.
I'm all for supporting PF, and have been a member and contributor of treasure and labor to the PF cause since the organization began.
No need to spend this much treasure for an effective and deadly pheasant load.

Cabela's has them for $18 or $19 a box. Bought two boxes of fiochhi golden pheasants and one box of prairie storm. I've been switching off and on between the two. So far ever bird shot with the federal is doa, the fiochhi not so much. Could be my shooting and in my head but I will be switching to the federal's next time I restock. If I went through cases of shells the price might bother me but I dont.

I agree. I have always used Remington nitro's but this weekend i went with the Prairie Stroms. Every bird was doa and no runners.

Here in Canadaland, I pay through the teeth for ammo. A box of Winchester Super Pheasant is $39.99. A box of 10 turkey loads (Federal Mag Shok w/ Flitecontrol Wad) $16.99, and Winchester XX Mag are $32.99. I'll pay what I have to.

I only shoot one kind of shells #5 1 1/4 oz and cheap under 10 bucks if your on the bird your on if its a bad day no shell is going to change it for u

Prairie Storm upland loads in Steel Shot

I see in the new PF Journal that Federal is offering Prairie Storm in Steel Shot this year in 3" 20 and 12 gage #3 & #4 shot.

At a bargin price too, just $25.95 and $27.95. Better buy a couple of cases---NOT:rolleyes:

Yea I saw that in the latest PF magazine also. Some of the most over rated ammo EVER made in my opinion and costliest.

Yea I saw that in the latest PF magazine also. Some of the most over rated ammo EVER made in my opinion and costliest.

I agree. But as long a John Q. Public continues to buy it, they will continue to make it and market it.

I see absolutely no need or use for Prairie Storm. Appears they are trying to make ammo that will pattern like a Full choke through a IC choke. I know I'll never buy a box.

Yep I know I'll never buy another box. Just had to try last year and indeed it worked just fine but so does a lot of other ammo and at much less cost.

It also rips things up if you shoot a bird that is to close to you, and a heavy gun is nice to as it does have a bit of recoil. LOL

I think I'm going to use my 16 ga a lot more this year.:cheers:

I think I'm going to use my 16 ga a lot more this year.:cheers:

That's about all I've been using the past 2 years. An once or 1 1/8 oz. of shot is all that is needed to kill a rooster cleanly.

I'm pretty much stuck with 12,20,28 and 410 for chasing Roosters in Sodak. All my 16's are fixed choke and I can't afford Bismuth or other high priced lead substitutes. I hunt public land pretty much exclusive out there. Minnesota's a a different story. Public land in Minnesota(WMA's) are still open to shooting lead in most cases. I enjoy carrying some really sweet quality old guns in Minnesota with classic lead shot loads.

I'm pretty much stuck with 12,20,28 and 410 for chasing Roosters in Sodak. All my 16's are fixed choke and I can't afford Bismuth or other high priced lead substitutes. I hunt public land pretty much exclusive out there. Minnesota's a a different story. Public land in Minnesota(WMA's) are still open to shooting lead in most cases. I enjoy carrying some really sweet quality old guns in Minnesota with classic lead shot loads.

If you want to shoot your 16's I've got some Kent Tungsten Matrix loads I will sell you. I bought a case last year on sale. Still expensive at $17 per a box of 10 but that's about half of retail. I'd part with a couple boxes if you want to try them.

If you want to shoot your 16's I've got some Kent Tungsten Matrix loads I will sell you. I bought a case last year on sale. Still expensive at $17 per a box of 10 but that's about half of retail. I'd part with a couple boxes if you want to try them.

Very kind offer Zeb. I may take you up on that.

gander mountain...

Expensive shells...I priced Hoppe's #9 cleaning fluid at Gander: $7.00 a bottle. Same stuff at Walmart, under $3.

Pays to shop!

If you bought at Gander you paid to much 99% of the time. I like my Golden Pheasant 5's and also my Estate 5's. Both do their job if i do mine

I think the box with the cute picture is $32, the shells are free. Those prices only add insult to the wallet on a bad day shooting. Whats wrong with regular #5's. I seen guys using low brass 6's and doing well, just need to know how to shoot.

I think the box with the cute picture is $32, the shells are free. Those prices only add insult to the wallet on a bad day shooting. Whats wrong with regular #5's. I seen guys using low brass 6's and doing well, just need to know how to shoot.

That's a big 10-4 good buddy! I shoot a 16 ga. with 1 1/6 or 1 1/8 oz of shot. Others shoot nothing but a 20 ga. and we kill just as many as the guys shooting 12 ga. 3 inchers or these stupid Prairie Storms.

Moral of the story: The shell isn't going to make you a better shot!

To split hairs, some shell is always going to make you a better shot. There is always one shell that will pattern the best and have the best lethal impact in each individual gun. whether it costs .25 or 2.00 per shell.

Back