Prairie Grouse, partridge, and other assorted upland birds

Went on my first pheasant hunt in 2002 and the guy showing us the ropes called them “cluck cluck’s”. He told us that they were horrible to eat and the shot would put the roosters on alert. I did not pull the trigger on one until about 2010 when about 30 flushed on the edge of some CRP and corn. I shot a triple ( actually shot a limit of ducks, roosters, and “cluck cluck’s” that day)...when I got back home, I seasoned the breast halves and seared them for about 10 seconds on each side in butter. I will never let a “cluck cluck” go again!!! Haha

As little as 30 minutes, as long as 4 hours or more…best about an hour or two…stab the whole breast with a fork 8-10 times to tenderize…keep the meat abit away from the direct heat of the coals…

Grill them whole, to avoid overcooking..liberally season with Montreal steak seasoning…dip in ranch dressing, various steak sauces, etc…very good with a marmalade and brandy and butter sauce…sauté until the preserves/marmalade starts to carmelize…butter and brandy are a must!!!! That is great with waterfowl as well…apricot, blueberry, raspberry, almost any sweet fruit jam, preserves, marmalade sautéed with butter and brandy…learned to love coots as a kid cooking them that way…teal breasts are divine that way!!!! Good luck George!

You're using the fruit/butter/brandy marmalade as a dipping sauce, correct?
Yes…but when we used to cook coot, teal, merganser breasts, we’d cook them in that sauce…you could do one breast in there while you’re making that sauce, just for the heck of it…in that case, I’d slice the breast into strips and add them late in the cooking process…then you’d have a great dipping sauce for the grilled meat…👍

Back