Prairie Grouse, partridge, and other assorted upland birds

To me, I feel a great deal of the problem occurs with not drawing (gutting) the birds soon after shooting and then not keeping them cool prior to full out plucking or cleaning. As mentioned, I think a lot of people don't like red meated birds like sharpies and waterfowl because they over cook them; cooking to only rare or medium rare enhances the taste greatly. Otherwise you can get that strong, over cooked liver taste that no one likes.

Look up some of Hank Shaw's wild game recipes. I live in Arkansas so we harvest and eat a lot of ducks and its all about how you cook the dark meat game birds. As everyone has already mentioned, cook sharptails from rare to medium rare and no more. Sharptails are excellent cut into walnut size pieces and quick cooked in a little butter or olive oil in a frying pan over high heat. Dip in your favorite dipping sauce for a great before supper appetizer with a cold beer.

Look up some of Hank Shaw's wild game recipes. I live in Arkansas so we harvest and eat a lot of ducks and its all about how you cook the dark meat game birds. As everyone has already mentioned, cook sharptails from rare to medium rare and no more. Sharptails are excellent cut into walnut size pieces and quick cooked in a little butter or olive oil in a frying pan over high heat. Dip in your favorite dipping sauce for a great before supper appetizer with a cold beer.
Yeah, I've tried a lot of dark meat and never liked much of it. My Dad likes it though, I'll just take the beer instead.

Whenever I hear people complain about eating sharptails, I know that person isn't much of a cook. Perhaps a bit harsh, but true. Cook them medium rare at most. The meat looks like lean steak, and should be treated like lean steak. If you still don't enjoy the flavor, certainly don't harvest them.

dusky (blue) grouse = delicious

What part of the country can you find these dusky grouse?
Usually anywhere along the Rocky Mountains. They're a mountain bird through and through. Think ruffed grouse in the mountains terrain. Not Chukar in the mountains terrain. New Mexico, Colorado, parts of Wyoming all have decent populations of Blue Grouse.

Both Sharpies and Prairie Chickens have dark red breast meat and personally I do not care for the taste. Huns on the other hand are a lighter meat similar to pheasants and very good eating.
Yeah, huns are excellent. Sharptails are a tad gamey,but fun to hunt.

We grilled sharpies and Huns on Wednesday…shot that morning, marinated in Italian dressing. Young sharpies are exquisite, older birds are good, but better if made into bacon wrapped poppers stuffed with pepperoni and red pepper.

Although pheasants are my favorite bird to hunt, for a eating quail and chukar are my favorites. Both white meat grass seed eating birds.

Hank Shaw has some great ideas. I agree that you have to cook them to AT MOST medium rare. Same with ducks and geese....though, divers should be marinated a bit.

Cut sharptail breasts into small chunks and marinate in mustard (preferably Sauer's). Mix flour, corn meal, and a small amount of salt and pepper in a ziplock. Drop the mustard coated chunks into the flour/cornmeal and then deep fry. Make sure you have plenty because they will go fast.

Whenever I hear people complain about eating sharptails, I know that person isn't much of a cook. Perhaps a bit harsh, but true. Cook them medium rare at most. The meat looks like lean steak, and should be treated like lean steak. If you still don't enjoy the flavor, certainly don't harvest them.
I really don't think it has much to do with the cook. I pride myself in being an excellent cook but I am not fond of Sharptails. Guess I'm still looking for a simple recipe that works for me and makes the Sharpies more palatable. Several have mentioned Hank Shaw's recipes. I had to laugh when I read what he said about Sharpies.

Sharptail grouse is distinctive, unique — and strong-tasting. It is not to everyone’s taste. Unlike most upland game birds, sharpies have dark meat like ducks or doves, and that meat is decidedly gamey. Almost funky. You have to either embrace it or run screaming.

Most of my buddies and I shoot prairie grouse in September, perhaps mostly young birds, and we agree that they are fantastic! We marinate them in Italian dressing and grill medium rare or even rare, use some Montreal steak seasoning...amazing!!!!
Mike, how long to you marinate the Sharpies? Do you do the breasts whole or slice them into pieces? Hope to get a couple Sharpies in the morning to try your recipe on.

Back