Plateau Year 1 on CRP good idea?

As the crops come out, it should get better. Also, there are few plant forms that hold up to snow as well as NWSG. A good stand of Kochia will stand well, but the thermal value may be less. Pheasants will bury down in the grass and not be affected by the cold as much. Enjoy!

PD, she's got a little kochia in it too and it is thick. My other pure kochia stand is short because I think of the cooler wetter weather in the region.

I like kochia. You can fall down on it and not hit the ground.:D

What do you think about broadcasting something over the new WSG to add some diversity? What would you add? I am thinking alfalfa and sweet clover. Any other suggestions?

Since I don't know what performs well in your area, I hate to be too specific. Check with your wildlife people, extension, or NRCS to find out what is more locally acceptable on your soils and with your climate. I would throw maximillian sunflower, Korean Lespedeza, and Black Medic.

Since I don't know what performs well in your area, I hate to be too specific. Check with your wildlife people, extension, or NRCS to find out what is more locally acceptable on your soils and with your climate. I would throw maximillian sunflower, Korean Lespedeza, and Black Medic.

That all sounds like some good stuff to add and does well in our area but what the heck is Korean Lespedeza?

It's another annual legume. It has a larger seed than the sweet clover, is lower growing, and probably more drought tollerant. I've planted it here for quail and for deer. I've planted it alone and in a mix with wheat.

Back