Pheasant Slaughter near Liberal

basspow

Stopped by a local farmer to get permission to hunt some of his circle corners,
on Friday afternoon. I had hunted his corners last Dec. He said stick around and go with his group. He put on a big two day feed that was great for the group of 50+. Not having a place to hunt I went along. It was an army of hunters mostly from Ok. Birds got up by the hundreds in the incircled corners.
Sat eveing the bird count was well over 100. Not very many cocks made it
through the firing line. Next year I will wait and go in Dec. Had to keep my dog on a check cord and listen to him whine No Place for a big running dog inthat kind of situation.:cheers:

Thats too bad. But, I guess it's all about how many we kill these days. Seems alot of people have forgotten how nice it is just to get out and enjoy the outdoors with good friends and catching up with old friends on opening day. Now everyone seems to think if they didn't get a limit the day/weekend was wasted. What a shame.

To me this can be described in one word "disgusting". I have parked and watched these battalions attack a field, shoulder to shoulder like the Redcoats attacking the Colonists. They swoop down on a grass patch like it was full of rodents and they had to be eliminated or we would all perish. It is an all out war on pheasants. Much as I have tried I cannot see what satisfaction they gain from hunting this way. More correctlyl, it should called pheasant shooting.

The real sad part is I have never seen them stop and wait while someone goes behind them and searches for cripples. And the ones that seem to fall dead and don't get retrieved on purpose give me the feeling they were hens.

They have the right to gang up like this is they want but maybe they could just go out in the barnyard and shoot some chickens with the same satisfaction. Or maybe stay at home with a nice video game and shoot all they want.

Too bad, they are missing the real joy of the chase.

Those damn okies! That's probably the only time this year most of those guys will go "hunting." I'll bet it looked like a bunch of pumpkins going through the field - - a bunch of fat guys wearing orange.

Easy there one eye your painting Okies with a pretty wide brush!:eek:

You should hear what Coloradans say about Texans...:eek:

Oh brother is this guy for real?:rolleyes:

To me this can be described in one word "disgusting". I have parked and watched these battalions attack a field, shoulder to shoulder like the Redcoats attacking the Colonists. They swoop down on a grass patch like it was full of rodents and they had to be eliminated or we would all perish. It is an all out war on pheasants. Much as I have tried I cannot see what satisfaction they gain from hunting this way. More correctlyl, it should called pheasant shooting.

The real sad part is I have never seen them stop and wait while someone goes behind them and searches for cripples. And the ones that seem to fall dead and don't get retrieved on purpose give me the feeling they were hens.

They have the right to gang up like this is they want but maybe they could just go out in the barnyard and shoot some chickens with the same satisfaction. Or maybe stay at home with a nice video game and shoot all they want.

Too bad, they are missing the real joy of the chase.

Good post. I hear of all these guys with piles of birds, and they are proud of it.
I went out this weekend, my buddy and his son shot birds over my dogs... I couldn't have prouder. They stood their birds nice and it was fun to watch. I shot one time on Sunday. And had a blast.

Pathetic

You should be ashamed! I would rather get NO birds all day and work my dog. I go for the fun, friendship, outdoors, and challenge. In the interest of being civil on here...you are disgustiing

I too tried hunting w/ a big group for the first time this season (20-25). They were a great bunch of guys and there were lots of birds flushing all around, but there are some dynamics of hunting w/ a big group that I don't like (too many wounded birds, not being able to stop the group to REALLY look for cripples, etc.). I doubt I'll do it again, but if you don't have a dog, this would be a good way to get into birds. That many ppl walking a field really pushes the birds out and was pretty neat to see. The experience was very worthwhile, it's just not my kinda hunting. I enjoyed hunting with 6-8 ppl the next day and watching the dogs work a bit more. I don't think we should beat this guy up too much for joining the group. It sounds like he decided he'd rather hunt by himself next time anyway so maybe we could cut him some slack?

Now, what do big opening day groups do to the bird population for the rest of the season??? I'm sure there is a bioligist somewhere that could give us some insight on the impact. Isn't that the reason big groups bother you guys? I'm sure there would be a lot more birds in the late season if KDWP limited opening day group size. 50 people? The birds don't have a chance, but if it is legal, we shouldn't beat up the guys that take advantage of this advantage.

Before we start throwing stones, we have to look at all sides of this good story.
First lets look at the good sides of this story. In order to get 100 to 200 truly wild pheasants to flush at one time out of a Kansas field is a good thing (a sign of a good hatch) very few people witness such an event in their lifetime. The most I have seen out of a single flush was around 50, twenty years ago in the small community of Easter, Texas in the panhandle.

The fact that people are willing to drive hours to pheasant hunt and spend money on food and lodging is also a positive thing.
When you are on a guided pheasant hunt, most peoplel don't have dogs, you do what the guides tell you to do. I have also lined up to walk a field.

This is a wild pheasant hunt, as long as this is a fair chase, sometimes it take a large group in big center pivot field to get the bird to fly. The land owner knew what was needed to do to get the birds to flush.

Now let look at the other side of this story. A great deal of people love to hunt wild pheasants (not tame pen raised birds) the problem is that we need to expand the wild North American pheasant range.

State wildlife official in Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado and many other states are doing nothing to expand the wild pheasant range in those states. Its not cool to support pheasants now days, it was 30 or 40 years ago.

I've heard of a couple of these feast and hunts on private property

someone should check with folks who know the landowner- Harpers game Farm has sold lots of pheasants

how big was this farmers field where a 100 roosters were killed

right close to me a fella got folks to pay to hunt and he released 80 Blue Quail

This is a tough site to post on, a guy gets hammered for joining a big group when he didnt have anywhere else to go. Sir you should have immediately packed your bags and headed home how dare you have done something so hideous as to partake in a "disgusting" act as that. I dont think I have ever ran across so many people that believe the way they hunt is the only way to do it. And I have for sure never ran across sportsmen as pure in ethics as the majority on this website. I'm pretty sure there have been big groups hunting since the introduction of pheasants. The real culprit to declining numbers is habitat loss and cleaner farming.

And lets get down to it, the real reason we all hunt is to kill something. Now I love to watch my dogs work and that is my favorite part but I want to harvest/kill some birds too. If all you really care about is watching your dog then go get some quail and a call back pen, then you can do it every night and save a lot of money in the process. Sorry to rant guys I've just been fed up with guys getting attacked on here for no reason.

Also a group of 50+, over a hundred birds shot. A little over two birds per hunter, not that great of a ratio. Split them up into ten groups of five and I bet they kill double the amount of birds and take up five times the amount of ground.

So what if someone comes on here and posts about a group of fifty friends that get together to hunt. They say they split into ten groups and go out seperatly. They then say that between the ten groups they killed 140 birds. Now would that still be disgusting or since they were in smaller groups would it be better perceived as hunting and not just shooting?

Also a group of 50+, over a hundred birds shot. A little over two birds per hunter, not that great of a ratio. Split them up into ten groups of five and I bet they kill double the amount of birds and take up five times the amount of ground.

So what if someone comes on here and posts about a group of fifty friends that get together to hunt. They say they split into ten groups and go out seperatly. They then say that between the ten groups they killed 140 birds. Now would that still be disgusting or since they were in smaller groups would it be better perceived as hunting and not just shooting?

Or...if 100 guys went out in 50 groups...50 different spots...one or two dogs per group...two guys...two dogs...enjoyable day...with good sportsmanship...I would consider that hunting and not shooting. I wouldnt care about the numbers...but the art of hunting...I have had great days even without getting my limit. But 100 guys in a field walking...dogs not knowing what to do...where to give the dead birds...is NOT what I consider the way to hunt. From what I read...that is a Cluster____. Just my humble opinion...

Maybe I imagined this, but either Kansas or Nebraska I believe has, or had at one time, a hunting party group maimum of 13 as a safety measure. Like thats going make it easier to keep eyes on everyone! I personally don't hunt in large groups, but am not offended by it. The social aspects are a big part of those hunts, and tradition of doing it once a year is the reward. I doubt any lasting damage is done to the resource, and in fact they push out and shoot birds we small group guys would never corner. Good show!

This is a tough site to post on, a guy gets hammered for joining a big group when he didnt have anywhere else to go. Sir you should have immediately packed your bags and headed home how dare you have done something so hideous as to partake in a "disgusting" act as that. I dont think I have ever ran across so many people that believe the way they hunt is the only way to do it. And I have for sure never ran across sportsmen as pure in ethics as the majority on this website. I'm pretty sure there have been big groups hunting since the introduction of pheasants. The real culprit to declining numbers is habitat loss and cleaner farming.

And lets get down to it, the real reason we all hunt is to kill something. Now I love to watch my dogs work and that is my favorite part but I want to harvest/kill some birds too. If all you really care about is watching your dog then go get some quail and a call back pen, then you can do it every night and save a lot of money in the process. Sorry to rant guys I've just been fed up with guys getting attacked on here for no reason.

no- it's an easy site to post on- pheasant hunting- you need to back off-
a guy goes to ask a farmer to hunt and joins a group of 50, has to keep his dog on a check cord all the time- I don't know of anyone with a good dog who would do that- everyone I've ever known is hunting with his dog

oh- there have been many times over the years I've taken a camera and left the gun- a good day isn't about killing

I've had groups of 40+ come and hunt this farm- lots of shooting- lots of hurrying ahead- walk in a line- not ever have I seen anyone go back and look for criples- and I saw lots of hens shot at- that's why this land is shut down this season- why- because large groups shoot at most anything that comes up- then they rushed off the go run another field- again right here-

word in town was everybody filled out- ya right

what is starting to happen- large groups are not allowed to hunt- I wouldn't be bragging about being in a large group and shooting 100 birds- that's what gets land shut down-

wait till after the season- go drive arround and stop in and talk to the farmers- want to hear what they think of large groups that kill
would you like to make a little wager about how a couple farmers feel when they hear of that 50 some hunters shooting 100 birds in one farmers field

Good post labs. I have thought this in a few threads. It's pretty easy to sit back and 'claim' higher ethics. But some of this rings of jealousy as much as "ethics"...IMO.
As an 'invited guest', I hunted w/ a group of 24 this weekend. A HUGE part of it is a social event. These guys have been getting together as a tradition for several years. As years pass guys get added, or drop out. They all chip in on a private lease, and it ain't exactly cheap. For most, it's a "once per year" outing.
They rented over a dozen motel rooms. They bought 2 dozen rib-eyes at a local resteraunt. Probably spent $500 at the liquor store. Purchased twenty tanks of fuel. ect. ect....
We killed 88 roosters by 11:30 Saturday. Everyone was overjoyed. So you know what they did? They went back to town and spent some money.

Maybe I imagined this, but either Kansas or Nebraska I believe has, or had at one time, a hunting party group maimum of 13 as a safety measure. Like thats going make it easier to keep eyes on everyone! I personally don't hunt in large groups, but am not offended by it. The social aspects are a big part of those hunts, and tradition of doing it once a year is the reward. I doubt any lasting damage is done to the resource, and in fact they push out and shoot birds we small group guys would never corner. Good show!
Thanks :). I hunt a lot alone, or with one other buddy. I do get more satisfaction out of "grinding out" roosters, just me 'n the dog. But all this "holier than thou" crap sticks in my craw just a little.

I don't think we should beat this guy up too much for joining the group. It sounds like he decided he'd rather hunt by himself next time anyway so maybe we could cut him some slack?

Now, what do big opening day groups do to the bird population for the rest of the season??? I'm sure there is a bioligist somewhere that could give us some insight on the impact. I'm sure there would be a lot more birds in the late season if KDWP limited opening day group size.
Chad, I don't care for big group hunts either. Fair chase implies the birds have an escape route and surrounding a pivot corner with 50+ guys kind of eliminates the "hunting" aspect. But I agree with you. There's no reason to pile on a guy who tried this once because he had nowhere else to hunt, referred to it as a slaughter and said he's going back to solo or small group hunting the next time out.

As for the impact of early season big group hunts, well I'm not a biologist but with an 80% annual mortality rate, loss of habitat and the elements kill a lot more birds than hunters do. On the other hand, we hunters should be forever mindful that these beautiful wild birds deserve our respect and stewardship and should NEVER be taken for granted.

Keep it friendly guys... :cheers:

Back