pheasant hunting

gsp4life

in your opinion where would you say the best pheasant hunting in north dakota would be? i think i would have to say in or around mott. but just want to hear what you guys that go up there all the time think. always trying new spots each year you know. thanks

I hunt Mott every year and while the bird numbers are very dense I would almost have to say that 14 miles to the west near the town of Regent, the bird numbers may be even higher. I found this to be true especially in the last few years. The reason might be because of the number of Outfitters in the Regent area who tie up large tracts of land and manage it specifically for pheasants. Not uncommon to see a 1000 birds in one field.

I agree the Regent area for numbers. The knock on doors for permission to hunt is over however. Be prepared to spend$$.

Don't be an optimist, the numbers are going to be down from last year. This winter has been to severe and long.---Bob

So here is a little different spin on your question. Is north east SD or south easy ND better, or is there really no difference?

i've never hunted sd. gonna make a trip this year hopefully. been really looking at uguide's setup and looks and i'm sure is, amazing. but looks like the spots fill up fast. but i thought nd was very good last year. who knows what this year brings.

Is north east SD or south easy ND better, or is there really no difference?

In general I would say NE SD is better than SE ND. Not that there aren't some good areas in ND. But you also have to define NE SD. To me it's from Hwy 14 on the south to the ND border and from the MN border on the east to the Missouri River. That's a lot of area and hunting can vary a great deal with it. The SW quarter of NE SD would be the best. The very NE corner of SD I would say would have the lowest pheasant populations.

I've never looked but I would guess the Game, Fish & Parks probably have something on their web site that give the pheasant populations by area or county.

I'm sure you can have a good hunt in either SD or ND. I hunted the Mott, ND area a number of times several years ago and had good luck. But I think that area was hit hard by the winter.

alot has to do with how you feel about competing with other hunters. some areas with lower birds numbers have lower hunter numbers, so getting on land may be easier, as well as not having the public land pounded so hard. I would say this--the farther you are from towns, especially those with healthy populations, like Aberdeen, Brookings, Watertown, Huron, etc, the better...if you can get 30-50 miles from decent sized towns, it will help your cause. so will hunting mid-week. good luck.

Extreme SE ND is not that great for numbers, you need to get in 75 miles or so. And numbers dwindle sharply as you go North, but still some good pockets.

Back