Pheasant call

Madison COunty

Has anyone ever used a pheasant call in the mornings or anytime to locate roosters or to see if any respond out in the field?

The Pheasant call is easy to use. In the early mornings, the call can be used to entice a cock pheasant into giving away his location by answering with a cackle. When you have moved into gun range, use an excited raspy series of cackles, to flush the cock pheasant out for a clear shot.

Features

Classic, hardwood barrel for loud, yet true tones
Specially designed reed for super-loud and raspy cackles
Great for locating and flushing cock pheasants

Interesting!

Last edited:
lol

i don't even know where to go or what to say on this one madisonco:rolleyes:? is this a new trick you picked up since we hunted last:D? you will have to show me the call next time we hunt and i'll tell you what to do with it:thumbsup:! :cheers:

Todays hunt

Hunted 3 hours today and saw 3 roosters and 2 hens. Maybe if I had a call I would have seen more.:D

Birds where I hunt seem to be holding alot tighter now....it seems like you almost have to step on them to get them to flush.

All right I have to plead guilty. My wife and daugthers bought one 4 years back. It's a Faulk, good company, but hail from Louisiana? what they know about pheasants crowing. I have used it. It sounds good with a little practice. It will get calls early in the season, from a long, long way out! Like across 320@ CRP field. I have had birds run closer or fly to it. You know their are there, but you have a better tool, the four-legged friend with a choke bore nose.

or how about this one the quail call? I have tried and tried to call quail with it i cant get them to respond, heres a question is it legal to use it after you have busted a covey?

Quail call

or how about this one the quail call? I have tried and tried to call quail with it i cant get them to respond, heres a question is it legal to use it after you have busted a covey?

I don't see why it wouldnt be fine to use. You can use duck and goose calls, why not a quail or pheasant call? But I dont make the rules so cant say for sure.

Early in the year you can get quail to call back, and I have had males come in to hen calls. This has been while spring turkey hunting.

In the fall you don't get many replys, but it does happen some times. But I have not had much success at all getting them to call back after you have broken up the covey. But if you give them a little time you will hear them start calling to each other.

I think the call works best if you have your sweety sew up some full colored rooster suit to call in. If it has a game bag and a slings for your gun it's golden! ( after all you need your hands free for calling). If you can strut a little, to bring the fire up in the local roosters would be nice, since their coming to fight the interloper. As they say, with ducks, the call is great, but good decoys, and lastly motion in your decoy spread, that's the ticket. Pictures would be nice:D

Weather permitting, calling with a short "cluck------cluck-------cluck" can get other roosters calling. Time of day helps too.

I was out at sunrise in SD last week hunting Prairie Chickens/grouse. The roosters in the area were cackling back and forth to each other. "I'm over here, your over there" type calling.

Sometimes calls get them to respond, other times you can't get them to talk to save your life.

Also, when I was pass shooting last week, there were hen's chirping across the street from where I was sitting. I began chirping back to them. They'd walk right up to me talking away. Obviously once they found out I was there they were gone. Roosters too. Two roosters started fighting each other.:thumbsup: Guess they though I was some kind of hot hen talking the sweet talk. lol

Good times my friend:cheers:

interesting post...my sister who lives in georgia..where I am from but I live in MN now got me a pheasant call for christmas. I thought it was a gag gift that she thought was a real one..So people are saying there is an actual use for them?

really guys?

wow!!! what else can people come up with to make noise with in the field :rolleyes:? well madison co i guess your not alone:eek:? although some of these were given as gifts and yours was self induced:thumbsup:. well good luck and yes i'll still hunt with you and your new noise maker:D. :cheers:

I thought it was a gag gift that she thought was a real one..So people are saying there is an actual use for them?

Yep.:) Think of a pheasant as a mini turkey (in a way). Same family of birds with similar behaviors. Turkey's talk, answer calls, and so on. Pheasants do too.

The down side is later season and nasty weather tend to shut them up.

The suit

I think the call works best if you have your sweety sew up some full colored rooster suit to call in. If it has a game bag and a slings for your gun it's golden! ( after all you need your hands free for calling). If you can strut a little, to bring the fire up in the local roosters would be nice, since their coming to fight the interloper. As they say, with ducks, the call is great, but good decoys, and lastly motion in your decoy spread, that's the ticket. Pictures would be nice:D

Do you have a picture of one of these suits?:D Just got my call in the mail today. I have to work all weekend but hope to try it out soon!:thumbsup:

just wondering

i was just wondering if the people that use these calls hunt with pointers? because lord knows adding one more thing to their bag of tricks to make noise with while hunting is'nt needed!:rolleyes: and yes madisonco i'm glad your new toy came in. i can not wait to hear it:thumbsup:. :cheers:

i was just wondering if the people that use these calls hunt with pointers? because lord knows adding one more thing to their bag of tricks to make noise with while hunting is'nt needed!:rolleyes: and yes madisonco i'm glad your new toy came in. i can not wait to hear it:thumbsup:. :cheers:

No I do not use pointers I hunt with labs;)

Yep.:) Think of a pheasant as a mini turkey (in a way). Same family of birds with similar behaviors. Turkey's talk, answer calls, and so on. Pheasants do too.

The down side is later season and nasty weather tend to shut them up.
I've used a call for years but before I had a dog. Just like 1pheas4 said, they're a flocking bird that want to be with their own. I've seen them posture and fight in the fall too when hens were present.
I've called them to me across a busy two lane road and by calling had them stay until I got close enough to them they didn't want to run away. The down side to calling pheasants to you so you can shoot them like a turkey is that they almost always see you before you see them. They're harder than turkeys to see coming to you due to the normally heavier cover they're in.
Listen to wild birds and you'll pick out the different calls. There are at least 4 of them. The chirping will keep them from running too but the calls are mainly for hunting w/o a dog. Imagine trying to call turkeys with a dog running around. The call if done even slightly close to right will call other hunters to you which can make you an uninvited blocker but be careful.

Back