Paradigm Shift

JMc

Super Moderator
Who would have ever thought that teachers would be teaching from their homes, students are not at school and no sports in where...TEXAS of all places. I have been in education for 37 years and have never seen anything like it. To brag a little, our staff are warriors. They have jumped feet first into digital learning and the students have followed suit. Our Food Service staff are preparing and handing out meals to our kiddos as well. As the Superintendent, I'm proud to be the instructional leader. If you want to see what's going on in my District, check out our Facebook page at Sanford-Fritch ISD.

I'm not looking for comments or those home school, charter school, private school, public school arguments. Just letting you know what's going on in my world. Hope everybody is safe, healthy and getting things done...at home.

Jim

Last edited:
Lots of variation it seems. Good for your district, glad to see you are having success.

We have two grandchildren here, preschool and first grade. The first grade teacher has posted nothing except a message that she is “missing” all the kids. No assignments, no links, no help.

The preschool teacher is doing a good job. She has assigned work and will drive by the house so they can show her the art work from the window. She posts videos of her doing art work and reading stories.

We have purchased two tablets, purchased some educational apps that the guidance councilor recommended, subscribed to some education sites and are trying to get work in front of them. Lots of PE, home economics and shop classes.

I know the teachers have other problems as do we all but I taught for 32 years, it doesn’t take that much to post some work.

Pop an email to your child's administrator and let them know you would like some work. Another great option is www.kahnacademy.com. One of the best if not the best online curriculum you can find and it's free. Good luck and sorry about the problems.

Pop an email to your child's administrator and let them know you would like some work. Another great option is www.kahnacademy.com. One of the best if not the best online curriculum you can find and it's free. Good luck and sorry about the problems.

Yes, we have found Kahn academy, it is good. I emailed the principal after the first five days of no contact. She asked for patience and that everyone is working hard. That was early last week, nothing since. The reading teacher has four posts a day, all helpful.

I had my assignments and old tests up on the web 15 years ago, it’s not unchartered territory. Our son had to have his university classes going on the web before spring break was over.

My staff went above and beyond all expectations the past two weeks as we have dug in for remote learning for our 800 middle school students. It never comes as a surprise at how my staff and educators in general rise to the occasion during a crisis. It sure makes a leader proud. Make sure to take some time this weekend for yourself. As Spring is settling in on the Northern Plains of North Dakota, I have found myself (and family) getting walked 4+ miles in the countryside by Ms. Ellie, our 3 yr old Vizsla. Good luck in the upcoming weeks and thanks for all you do! View attachment 9841

Who would have ever thought that teachers would be teaching from their homes, students are not at school and no sports in where...TEXAS of all places. I have been in education for 37 years and have never seen anything like it. To brag a little, our staff are warriors. They have jumped feet first into digital learning and the students have followed suit. Our Food Service staff are preparing and handing out meals to our kiddos as well. As the Superintendent, I'm proud to be the instructional leader. If you want to see what's going on in my District, check out our Facebook page at Sanford-Fritch ISD.

I'm not looking for comments or those home school, charter school, private school, public school arguments. Just letting you know what's going on in my world. Hope everybody is safe, healthy and getting things done...at home.

Jim

Jim,

These are different times to be teaching for sure! I am on the school board for my local school district. We are the eighth largest District in Minnesota ISD 728. We have had a lot of extra work put in by our administration and staff but the ned result is that we are feeding over 6,000 students a day and our distance learning started this morning. We are figuring things out and I think we will succeed. Our superintendent is leading the way in our community and tryingb to make sure that every hole and gap is filled. If you ever wanted to bounce some ideas off of him he would love to help. His name is Dan Bittman and he is a true leader in times like these. Praying that everyone in your district and on your staff stays healthy.

Just found out that our State Education Agency purchased 50,000,000 masks, 100,000,000 gloves and millions of gallons of sanitizer. If students and staff are required to wear masks and gloves, I may just retire after 36 years in education. Can you imagine a Pre-K student trying to learn with a mask and gloves. GRRRR, rant over.

We are trying to do our best to comply here in Minnesota, but our governor is crazy. He won't give us his final word on how we are to open school next fall till July 27th. That gives us a month to comply and come up with a plan. Meanwhile all of our covid numbers are declining drastically but we are still under his thumb. I could go on with my rants for paragraphs but I will stop there. Good luck in the fall!

Jim

I'm a big supporter of public education. It has made our nation smart, moral, and rich. Thank you for what you are doing and keep up the excellent work.

Last edited:
Back