Outstanding Pheasant season for 2010

I think that sounds about right from my observations. Some smaller broods, perhaps in some areas. I think a good supply of roosters leftover from last year will also help make up for some weather related problems.

sounds like the count will be slightly lower than 2009, not too sure i believed the 2009 count, the 2008 season was much, much better than '09.

Good news, happy for SD - I'm startin to get a slight drool already, huntin season ain't that far away!!! :D :thumbsup: :10sign:

I think here close to home in CO is in for a pretty good year too!!! :)

That's great news considering the winter SD went through. Good numbers or bad, my boys and I will be heading back out this fall.

Scott

sounds like the count will be slightly lower than 2009, not too sure i believed the 2009 count, the 2008 season was much, much better than '09.

Well it was, but I think an awful lot had to do with the weather. We pretty much lost the last two weeks of the season and the crops were in until Thanksgiving.

Spin Doctor

landman, how did "it's not going to be a drastic drop" turn into "outstanding season"? The GF&P PR machine is already working fabulously.

Just got back from a weekend in S.D. It was extremely wet (212 west through Watertown to Clark county and Hamlin county). Family and locals I talked to said fewer pheasant this year. I didn't see any and I usually see at least a few (I was only driving highways though, never went down any secondary roads). If the weather doesn't change, the crops will be in late again this year. I think I am going to plan for later hunt(s) this year.

Thor

A friend of mine was in a Walleye Tournament a few weeks back in SD and has been going to the same one for a few years. His unscientific opinion was "last year I saw roughly 10 birds per square mile and this year about 5 birds" I think its safe to say bird numbers will be down this year. The question is by how much?

Birds up

I am out at the farm this week doing some field maintenance and I am seeing buku pheasants. Cleary more that I have seen in last 3-4 years. Went to town yesterday on 15 mile gravel road in dew and fog and there were so many broods on road you could not go at full speed. I've seen birds in all sizes including week old chicks. There are a lot of prevent plant acres in SD this year and I have about 80 on mine and that is where I have been seeing quite a few birds.

I'm predicting counts might actually be up this year.

Uguide may be blowin' a little smoke, but i have done a lot of travelin' lately and have seen lots of birds in the traditionally good areas. As always, things change year to year in almost all areas, some for better, some for worse.

marketing is a wonderful activity..........how about some pics?

Now that would be some marketing. One photo does not make a statewide increase. Some here will know my predictions are fairly accurate and I would be surprised if the counts are not up over last year. No one else here is willing or informed to predict this. We'll know in a couple weeks.:eek:

hmmmmm, sounds like an opportunity for a friendly wager. I'll bet a bag of dog biscuits that UGuide is right.

I got up early to go have coffee with neighbors this morning. They are over by my east farm which is 6 miles from main fram. I took video camera with and will load it up to youtube so you can make your own conclusion. Might be the new UGUIDE roadcount pre-GFP survey. :p

I did not want to pay the $2.95 so I did not get to read the article.

Back