Opening weekend reports

My group of 8 hunters 1youth and 4 labs bagged 25 roosters. Was pleasantly surprised with the number of birds we saw. Could of/should of done better if we had been shooting better. May I need to accept the fact that age may be taking it till as 4 members of the group were 62.70,70 and 81. Nevertheless we had a great time and it was good to get the group back together after a 4 year hiatus

My group of 8 hunters 1youth and 4 labs bagged 25 roosters. Was pleasantly surprised with the number of birds we saw. Could of/should of done better if we had been shooting better. May I need to accept the fact that age may be taking it till as 4 members of the group were 62.70,70 and 81. Nevertheless we had a great time and it was good to get the group back together after a 4 year hiatus

I assume that was mostly private ground?

I know the conditions weren't great overall, but I was expecting some better reports. Friend of mine hunted around Hays. They were disappointed.

Last edited:
Hunted around WaKeeney (N. and S. of Collyer, really). I will echo what others said about surprisingly spooky birds for opening day. Made me think that the Youth Season may be catching on? Anyhow, we shot a few, which is better than I expected. Bird numbers in that area - by rough guesstimation - are still only 35-40% of what they were in the 2007-2009 time period. Still enough around to hunt, but success is relative. What shocked me was the number of hunters who still go out there with such low numbers. There certainly isn't enough birds on quality WIHA to justify the hunter numbers.

One or two more good winters and springs and they will be back.

NW Kansas

My two labs and I 'guided' a group of ~20 (from CO, AR, and TN) on private ground. At times it sounded like goose hunting - so many birds were flying and so many guns were firing! Saturday resulted in 35 KIAs and several that we couldn't find even with the dogs(!). Although way better than past years, these guys still talk of the good old days when they'd harvest 60-75 birds. Still plenty of birds here - they missed way more than they harvested :)

Hunted close to home in NE Kansas for a few hours Saturday morning. We saw LOTS of quail in big coveys. We also saw 5 roosters in 1 field. I was hoping to see a few more pheasants but considering where we were I wasn't remotely disappointed. We managed to bring home a few quail so it was a great start to the season. The cover was thick and there was absolutely no wind. Once it cools down and all of the milo is out the hunting will get better.

Hunted west of I-135 and east of highway 83, south of I-70. Private ground. Hunted different parcels within about a 20 mile range. Quail were about average and significantly fewer pheasant than last year. Believe a wet spring is to blame. Shooting was surprisingly good so more birds bagged than opener last year, but far fewer seen. While we shot more birds than last year, but had a much better hunt last year as there we more opportunities.

More hunters out than I've seen in years. Most were disappointed. Overall reports were disappointing. Have family coming to hunt in a couple of weeks, not sure where I'm going to take them to try and get them into decent numbers of birds.

Best of luck to all.

Point

Hunted phillips/smith county family ground..I have mixed feelings about the birds numbers..saw birds but not what I was anticipating. A lot of quail though..just need a dog. group shot 10 roosters and a few quail first day..(should of have more pheasants) .. Sunday half a day 8 roosters and 3 quail.. hopefully cold weather comes soon and improves it. Also flushed two prairie chickens

Hays Area

Cover is thicker than I can remember in last 15 years. Also, there is water running in bottoms that have been dry for the last 5 years. Some draws were so wet they were un-huntable. Heard there were quail everywhere but with that cover how do you find them? Lots of un-cut milo. Decent quail and below long term average pheasants AND you will work your butt off for them. My thighs hurt so bad I could hardly walk yesterday from dragging my feet thru the CRP.

IMO you guys are giving out way too many location details, pheasants are down everywhere.

Bird populations suck because of loss of CRP and the ethanol boondoggle....do you really want a ton more hunters in your spots?

IMO you guys are giving out way too many location details, pheasants are down everywhere.

Bird populations suck because of loss of CRP and the ethanol boondoggle....do you really want a ton more hunters in your spots?

WIHA pretty much sucks everywhere. We walked a ton of it opening day running into multiple groups, none of which saw a single bird or fired a shot. Only people killing limits or close to are on private ground.

We hunted mostly private ground this weekend and it was pretty rough considering the reports we had gotten leading up to the weekend. We did see a ton of hens, but the boys were no where to be found. Lots of quail, but we typically don't shoot them as we have them around home. Lots of prairie chickens also, funny thing is there is no chicken season out there this year and there are more chickens this year than years past out there

WIHA pretty much sucks everywhere. We walked a ton of it opening day running into multiple groups, none of which saw a single bird or fired a shot. Only people killing limits or close to are on private ground.

I don't believe this for one bit. I know quite a few different people who did well on some walk-in. I will hunt tomorrow on walk-in and I guarantee it won't suck. If you didn't see a single bird you are in the wrong part of the State or your're doing something wrong.

I don't believe this for one bit. I know quite a few different people who did well on some walk-in. I will hunt tomorrow on walk-in and I guarantee it won't suck. If you didn't see a single bird you are in the wrong part of the State or your're doing something wrong.

I agree. There was WIHA around us on Saturday and there was a good bit of shooting early on. Quieted down as the day went on. By Sunday I was not seeing a lot of hunters.

How dry is it?

Hearing reports of it being very dry and maybe that is limiting number of birds being found. Maybe more birds will be found once it rains and cools off some?

The one year we were out there early (usually go after Christmas) it was soooooo dry. We were stepping on quail , couldn't find singles and I'm convinced you make more noise the drier it is. Pheasants blew out earlier. Went back later , much better success. Very cool people are seeing chickens!!

I was out there about 10 years ago hunting south east Kansas. We didn't do very well. Making a return trip this year. Hoping for the best. I plan to go after thanksgiving. Hoping scenting conditions improve by then.

We hunted two public spots and found a covey in each. Both coveys were huge and had a number of young birds. The dogs had a hard time locating bird with not wind, dry, and thick cover that in places was still a little green. Tough conditions for the dogs. I had to leave Indy my best bird finder at home and we took all young dogs.

Here is a little video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l_y_QBig94

I know of two groups who shot limits on WIHA so that just isn't true. I am going out this weekend, I hunt mostly private ground, but will hunt one WIHA patch and I guarantee I will shoot some birds on it.

Sorry to hear that all of you lost your cameras/phones. ;)

Four pages and no pictures just doesn't compute.

Cass

Back