Opening weekend reports

WIHA pretty much sucks everywhere. We walked a ton of it opening day running into multiple groups, none of which saw a single bird or fired a shot. Only people killing limits or close to are on private ground.

I would agree with you to an extent.15-20 years ago WIHA was amazing it was private land for everyone. It was rare we hunted a WIHA that didn't have birds. These days I have pretty much given up on WIHA. I am not saying there are no birds on WIHA. I am saying that the % of WIHA tracts that have good huntable numbers is relatively low. These days I have 3 kids 3 and under at home. My wife is a saint and still lets me hunt more than the average dad. With the limited schedule I am on I would rather spend time working on connections for private land outside the season than walk 5 WIHAS to find 1 with birds.

I hope this does not come off as me bashing WIHA. I love the program. Without it I would probably not be a bird hunter today.

I know of two groups who shot limits on WIHA so that just isn't true. I am going out this weekend, I hunt mostly private ground, but will hunt one WIHA patch and I guarantee I will shoot some birds on it.

We came across some really nice WIHA ground near where we hunted. Didn't see any birds since they had already been hunted, but other guys in our group saw a large covey and a couple dozen pheasants at another WIHA place late in the day. They're out there you just have to put in the window time to find them.

I would agree with you to an extent.15-20 years ago WIHA was amazing it was private land for everyone. It was rare we hunted a WIHA that didn't have birds. These days I have pretty much given up on WIHA. I am not saying there are no birds on WIHA. I am saying that the % of WIHA tracts that have good huntable numbers is relatively low. These days I have 3 kids 3 and under at home. My wife is a saint and still lets me hunt more than the average dad. With the limited schedule I am on I would rather spend time working on connections for private land outside the season than walk 5 WIHAS to find 1 with birds.

I hope this does not come off as me bashing WIHA. I love the program. Without it I would probably not be a bird hunter today.

You said what I was saying, I am just a little more blunt about it I suppose. Sure there are birds on WIHA, but your odds of shooting good numbers or birds or even seeing good numbers of birds are so much lower when compared to private ground. But for most of us (including me) it is the majority of what we have to hunt.

We had 4 adults, 2 high school kids, one with no experience, one with two years experience, my niece who is in junior high, and nephew who is still in elementary school with their single shot .410's. Only hunted walk in. Saw birds in every field. Ended up with 9 pheasants and 10 quail on Saturday. Couldn't find 2 birds that went down with head and feet up in tall grass. First and last fields likely could have shot a few more but the sun wasn't right to verify if they were hens or not.

going to go back out the day before thanksgiving to a different area just to check it out and try and get some more birds in front of the dogs.

End of the day tailgate pic which I'm not too proud of those kind of pics, but we were running out of light for a staged pic. :) and a pic of my dad with my dog that they teamed up on for a trail, wild flush, and retrieve.

1BAB6960-1A92-4E7D-8FF7-77C06CC98E91_zps3xzvjvhs.jpg

6238FE5A-3BF0-47F0-A9AB-99DE8AF6D348_zpsjxcdtudw.jpg

We didn't see record numbers by any means, but we saw enough to keep the dog and I interested. I couldn't have been happier with my shorthair, he pointed and retrieved many more birds than I was expecting for his age. Here is a pic of the two of us after one of our fields.

IMG_1535_zpsqgqvvxm8.jpg

Last edited:
Weekend Hunting Report

We hunted private and WIHA in south-central Kansas this weekend. Good dog work in morning.
Tug pointed several covies. We did hunt a WIHA about 20 minutes after a big group of hunters had finished it with some success. Tug was able to point and track 2 roosters and we put them in the bag.
Overall in the 2 days we shot 5 roosters, 4 quail and 1 turtle dove. We had a great time.time.

Last edited:
Back