Opening weekend hunt Mitchell

Rather quit?

I'll admit I may have been a little harsh but as everyone has stated before we are all entitled to our opinions and if it works for you hell yea do it have fun dont get me wrong i still dont like the idea of 20 peaple and paying to hunt but if it works for you good I fortunately do not have to pay hunt and probly never will i fall into the i'd rather quit section

You're not serious. You'd surely rob your piggy bank if that was the only way you could hunt. If it comes down to it, I'll go w/o everything except food, water, shelter, and maybe my wife to still be able to hunt. Using what's left of my $ wouldn't be a concern if that was my only option for getting in the field.

Gents, thanks for your responses. Yes, 20 guys and dogs in the field at once can be a "circus". Consider me the ring(neck) master (pun intended). The hunt starts with a safety meeting which includes "nothing gets shot on the ground, period", "safetys on unless you are pulling the trigger", "if you don't know where the blockers are, don't shoot", and "no beer until we are out of the fields" to name a few. Violation of any of the rules get you expelled. Fact of the matter is, between my dad and I, we have hunted this ground with many of these guys for 30 years and have never drawn blood on dog nor human. Of course, it helps that youngest guy is in his 30s and we seldom hunt more than 3 hours to limit out. OK, fire away, negatives!

well, have fun and be safe......good luck. :cheers:

My first pheasant hunt was in 1982 in the Carthage area and I hunted with a large group of people. It was my first experience and I thought it was great. Been hooked ever since. It's not the way I like to hunt now, a few people and dogs but it served a great purpose. You have to start somewhere. Some people like the socializing at the end of the day-story telling over a cold one. Some one who works hard and doesn't have time check everything out can depend on guides who puts them on birds. There's something for everyone when pheasant hunting SD, even road hunting (not big on that either). Sounds like a reasonable offer to me. Every year there is always someone posting that they are stuck in their motel room and can't find birds. If you've spent a lot of money on motels and traveling a guide could make the difference between a good hunt and a bad one. Just my 2 cents.Happy hunting

You're not serious. You'd surely rob your piggy bank if that was the only way you could hunt. If it comes down to it, I'll go w/o everything except food, water, shelter, and maybe my wife to still be able to hunt. Using what's left of my $ wouldn't be a concern if that was my only option for getting in the field.

If the only way I could hunt was to pay ouot the nose then yea that would probly b the end of it at least for right now with todays economic development

Sorry Craig, should've put you first since this is YOUR thread! Happy Hunting Grounds to ya!!!

@steele - You said it real good, there is room for everyone & for every style of hunting (paid or not) all across rooster-land!...I would have no problem joining the right group of 20 guys on a complete-private hunt like this (although that's a pretty tall order & personally I would def split up into smaller groups around the property during the day & save all the big-group bizwax for the cool-beverages & bullshoot around the fireplace at nite) - but I would dang sure have to know every single one of who it is I was hooked up with in the field or at least be completely comfortable with someone I trust who could solidly vouch for the remainder! ;)

@KSCraig - You SOUND like the kind of savy "ringmaster" (Ha-Ha) that I would have no problems with. The BIG group w/blockers is not my thing, but know lots of guys for whom it is & they have a blast at it - more power to ya & have a good time - hope you pick up at least a couple of the guys you are looking for on this forum! The price sounds pretty reasonable to me! :thumbsup:

@Gove & KB - I personally will not pay to hunt as long as I don't really have to, or if what I am paying for is not SIGNIFICANTLY better than what I do not. I would hope all the UPH guide/landowner moderators on this site are smart enough to sit back & let these kind of threads openly run their course & take notes (might help 'em a wee bit in making smart business decisions). There is a world of difference between paying a reasonable fee & "paying out the nose" to hunt! I don't have any problem whatsoever with reasonable (which I fully understand is a fairly relative/disputable term depending upon the reasonee's economic circumstances)...But I'm with you Gove on exorbitant over-the-top guide/hunting fees - I & most of the people I associate with simply don't have that kind of money in the first place, & personally I still wouldn't pay it out of principle even if I was a multi-millionaire! But hey, if a guide/landowner can find a way to get that kind of money (say $300-500 per day & upward for a few pheasants) & there is someone out there who has the money to burn & is willing to part with it - KUDOS, each to his own! :cheers:

Last edited:
Large party hunt

Granted ...the large party hunt is certainly not for everyone.
However...when driving 1000 miles to come to SD I usually get to enjoy both styles of hunt and the large party is the most effective way to bag a lot of birds. Our large parties usually limit out because of the effectivness of being able to surround a piece of cover and eliminate escape routes. We hunt with 15-20 guys for 2-3 days. It is an extremely effective and productive way to hunt. The other 2-3 days we hunt with smaller groups...sometimes 2-4 with a dog or two. We are usually hunting smaller areas where bird numbers are smaller...but hunting pressure is lighter. In these situations every rooster becomes a trophy! Both are very rewarding and fun. Anyone who has ever hunted with a large party knows that a very clear concise "safety talk" is essential. As has already been said...no shooting birds on the ground, no shots at low flyers, and a perfect awareness of where everyone is located at all times. I would only party hunt with people I know and trust!
After bagging a few doves and seeing the enthusiasm of my old lab on some great retrieves...I'm ready to head to SD!! Safe hunting and God bless you all!

@Boomer - way to weigh in, well said & God's blessings right back-atcha!!! :thumbsup:

When I was younger and/or brand new at pheasant hunting I would have opted in a heartbeat for a big group with limits for all over scratchin 'em out hard all day long with a few guys and a couple dogs or even just me & the pooch all alone sometimes - Ahh, the seasons of life...

But then again, at the very tail end of the season when it is just me & the pooch - and a single bird is a hard won trophy even though we hopelessly watch hundreds flush wild & are totally unable to contain them all bunched up in large tattletale groups with all those well-"seasoned"/edumacated eyes & ears on steely-nerve alert - Oh, what I wouldn't sometimes give for a couple hundred people lined up elbow-to-elbow around the entire parameters of the field!!! :eek: :D

Here's hoping KSCraig who started this thread & all his boys have a real hoot together! :cheers:

This thread has certainly run full circle, and (thankfully) is finishing on a high note. It has also brought out a whole bastien of opinions on both sides of the "group" or "pay" issues. After reading KSCraig's comments regarding the "over 30" hunters and safety rules (with teeth) it doesn't sound as bad as many of us thought. Like others have stated, we have seen those huge fields where you could probably use 20 guns to effectively corral the birds.

All that being said, the worst part for me is the idea of a whole bunch of pointers/flushers flying around potentially out-of-control................................

Sounds like a great opportunity for a group on the ropes with nowhere to hunt. I say this because the price isn't exactly cheap. Sometimes you get what you pay for though. I think most of us know the inherent risk associated with hunting in large groups. You just need to decide if you want to take the risk for what sounds like a great hunt. A group of 20 spread out and managed properly can work just fine especially in areas with large amounts of acreage to cover. The biggest risk as I see it would be the experience level and the rules ie. ground pounding, excessive drinking.

I'm in need of 6 more hunters (to fill out group of 20) for opening weekend outside of Mitchell. Landowner expects $400 each for 3 day hunt and I don't feel like making up the 6x$400 = $2400 difference. Great land (1000 acres?), crops, CRP. Been hunting wild birds on this ground for 15 years and have always limited out. Great bunch of guys from KS, MO, NE, MT, IL, TX and dogs to hunt with. You are on your own for lodging.

E-mail sent

I'm in need of 6 more hunters (to fill out group of 20) for opening weekend outside of Mitchell. Landowner expects $400 each for 3 day hunt and I don't feel like making up the 6x$400 = $2400 difference. Great land (1000 acres?), crops, CRP. Been hunting wild birds on this ground for 15 years and have always limited out. Great bunch of guys from KS, MO, NE, MT, IL, TX and dogs to hunt with. You are on your own for lodging.

I am interested.could get at least 4 guys. I am in Vegas now on vac. You could call me at 2177414473. We are from the spfld, I'll area.
Thanks
Tom Booker

Back