Opening weekend hunt Mitchell

KSCraig

I'm in need of 6 more hunters (to fill out group of 20) for opening weekend outside of Mitchell. Landowner expects $400 each for 3 day hunt and I don't feel like making up the 6x$400 = $2400 difference. Great land (1000 acres?), crops, CRP. Been hunting wild birds on this ground for 15 years and have always limited out. Great bunch of guys from KS, MO, NE, MT, IL, TX and dogs to hunt with. You are on your own for lodging.

wow 20 peaple huh and you guys pay that much to shoot i say shoot becouse with 20 peaple in the same field thats what it is a crap shoot i may be wrong but if you lowered the amount in your group you may not have to pay anyone to hunt on their land you might be able to get away with doing things the old fasioned wayand then the safety factore would be alot better also glad i found out at least where one group will b that way i know not to go there

No disrespect, Gove, but yes, "you may be wrong". If you have ever hunted SD on opening weekend on private land, then you would know that $130 per gun per day is quite reasonable. And, if you know what you're doing (and we do), then 20 hunters is safely manageable in the large, wide open fields we hunt. Safety first and always! Good luck this year.

with all due respect to everyone reading this thread, for me, personally, i would never hunt with 20 guys, even if i knew them personally....if something unfortunate happens, between guns and or dogs, any sane person would point to the fact that 20 guys hunting together is almost a guarantee that something less than desirable is going to happen...not for me, ever.

1000 acres is over a square mile, so it probably can be done safely. However I agree it too crowded for my taste.

I usually hunt with no more than 1 or 2 guy's I know well. However, while checking out a new hunting spot the landowner asked me/my dog to join his group of 15. After the first field, I put my dog in the kennel for his safety. On the 2nd drive, 2 young hunters from MN were shooting running birds on the ground in front of blockers, and 2 different hunters had pellets bounce off their foreheads. That was way more than enough for me, and I didn't wait around for drive #3 to see what else might happen........................

Managable groups will work, BUT the hunters need to be mature and not so jumpy to shoot at every bird without thinking about where the other hunters might be. Inexperienced hunters should learn the ropes before jumping in on large groups.

It's entirely possible that members of the forum don't want to jump in on a group of 20 they don't know or ever even met..........................

He did not ask for everyone who did not want to go to respond negatively.

I agree.No response is better than the negs. Breaking up into 2 or 3 groups would be fun on a nice chunk of bird habitat. This is kinda what this site is for??
bobby g:(

UGUIDE and beaglebob1, you are both right about there not being any requests for negative responses. Is this forum about not having any dissenting opinions or potential disagreements? Opinions shared in this thread are based on experiences by forum members, and are not a slam against the original posters. If sensitive posters don't want any negative responses, please clearly state if that's the case.

On the other hand, if this is such a hot deal where are all of the positive responses of those chomping-at-the-bit for a spot on this venture???

UGUIDE and beaglebob1, you are both right about there not being any requests for negative responses. Is this forum about not having any dissenting opinions or potential disagreements? Opinions shared in this thread are based on experiences by forum members, and are not a slam against the original posters. If sensitive posters don't want any negative responses, please clearly state if that's the case.

On the other hand, if this is such a hot deal where are all of the positive responses of those chomping-at-the-bit for a spot on this venture???

CRP,
I believe the tone of some of the dissenting opinions may leave one disenchanted about posting or using the forum in the future.
Bobby g
:p

Which "tone" in particular do you feel was so bad? From my observation, after reading more than a few of these threads, the biggest "feather rustling" topic encountered involves the subject of pay-hunting. It involves pitting those who are not in favor of the pay-hunt vs. those that are. In the case of the former, there are many folks (and forum members) out in hunting land that will be forced to quit hunting if forced to pay for the priviledge. On the other side of the ledger, those on the receiving end of the pay hunt have referred to the non-payers (on this forum) as the "wanting something for nothing" crowd! Now that's not exactly the kind of "tone" that invites a pleasant response.

On that note, it's time to check out.

Which "tone" in particular do you feel was so bad? From my observation, after reading more than a few of these threads, the biggest "feather rustling" topic encountered involves the subject of pay-hunting. It involves pitting those who are not in favor of the pay-hunt vs. those that are. In the case of the former, there are many folks (and forum members) out in hunting land that will be forced to quit hunting if forced to pay for the priviledge. On the other side of the ledger, those on the receiving end of the pay hunt have referred to the non-payers (on this forum) as the "wanting something for nothing" crowd! Now that's not exactly the kind of "tone" that invites a pleasant response.

On that note, it's time to check out.

Never said that anything was so bad.. Just someone reading the response about a man wanting to get some folks together for a hunt and getting unpleasent responses.Maybe I am to courteous to others, its a flaw I have always had..Take care
bobby g ;)

Being courteous is a great character trait to have. If more people were courteous, getting along would be much easier. Another trait is discernment. Many of us learned many moons ago that everyone is entitled to have an opinion, even if it doesn't match up with ours. In fact, diverse opinions are not a bad thing, and sometimes we can learn a thing or two.

We have waited all year for hunting season, and it's now only a few weeks till the fun starts. Let's all agree on that!!!

bottom line for most, 20 guys in a field (with blockers) along with 4-8 dogs is a circus...hard to argue with that!

Being courteous is a great character trait to have. If more people were courteous, getting along would be much easier. Another trait is discernment. Many of us learned many moons ago that everyone is entitled to have an opinion, even if it doesn't match up with ours. In fact, diverse opinions are not a bad thing, and sometimes we can learn a thing or two.

We have waited all year for hunting season, and it's now only a few weeks till the fun starts. Let's all agree on that!!!

I agree on that.:cheers:

bottom line for most, 20 guys in a field (with blockers) along with 4-8 dogs is a circus...hard to argue with that!

That was never the point.
Release the dogs:cheers:

Gents, thanks for your responses. Yes, 20 guys and dogs in the field at once can be a "circus". Consider me the ring(neck) master (pun intended). The hunt starts with a safety meeting which includes "nothing gets shot on the ground, period", "safetys on unless you are pulling the trigger", "if you don't know where the blockers are, don't shoot", and "no beer until we are out of the fields" to name a few. Violation of any of the rules get you expelled. Fact of the matter is, between my dad and I, we have hunted this ground with many of these guys for 30 years and have never drawn blood on dog nor human. Of course, it helps that youngest guy is in his 30s and we seldom hunt more than 3 hours to limit out. OK, fire away, negatives!

I'll admit I may have been a little harsh but as everyone has stated before we are all entitled to our opinions and if it works for you hell yea do it have fun dont get me wrong i still dont like the idea of 20 peaple and paying to hunt but if it works for you good I fortunately do not have to pay hunt and probly never will i fall into the i'd rather quit section

Last edited:
Back