Opener

GPowers

Chickens open this weekend anyone else going?

This will be my 1st ever time and I'm pumped to get out and walk the fields!

Was a time I never ever missed opening weekend for sharpies---now I'm just to old and well really to old to do it right so I don't any more--sad. :(

Where ya heading to--I always hunted Murdo to Presho to near the river.
Good luck where ever you hunt--never forget that if you flush a flock be ready as it always seems that one or two don't flush with the group--you start to reload, take a couple of steps and away they go--again have fun.:thumbsup:

We are heading over to Pierre and staying there. I guess we will hunt where ever we find to be the "area", like I would Pheasant hunting. Should be fun, I just hope it isn't too warm.

Good luck!!! And be careful with those dogs this time of year. I always try to hunt close to slough's or some other water source when it is warm.

opener

the grouse numbers are improved this year over the last 2. good luck and keep us posted on how you did, and some pics.

Curious how you did Gpowers.
I will be heading out next week I hope!

Just got back from our trip. My buddy and I got there Opening day and went out around noon. The weather was very warm (mid 80's) and we worked the dogs for about 2 hours after the 6 hour drive over. We flushed 8 Chickens and shot one. Day two (Sunday) we started at 1st light and hunted until around noon, we ended with 5 and quit when it got hot again. Monday we started at 1st light an saw birds that were getting smart and seemed to want to flush 50 plus yards in front of the dogs. Tuesday was our best day we shot 3 in the 1st field, even after we busted the birds in the 1st 100 yards. Then we hunted another patch and shot 3 more in only a mile or so, so a rare limit was nice. Today was the last day and it was super foggy, we started at 1st light and worked a strip we hadn't been in. We didn't move a bird so we went back and packed up and left for home.

The dogs were burned out with the heat and dry grounds. My lab was still in good shape but the pointers around the Motel were beat up pretty good and most had some torn up pads or worse! One guys Shorthair got bite in the face by one of those nice rattle snakes. Luckily we didn't see a one but they had a few encounters, so be prepared for those nasty things if you are headed over anytime soon. The weather for the next 5 days is calling for HOT conditions.

Although this was our 1st time we really enjoyed ourselves. I'm not sure that kind of hunting is for me and my type (choice) of dogs, but it was fun to try something different. My buddy has a pointer and shines in that kind of hunting so that's the real reason why we went. I met some nice folks and many pointer guys, they run packs of dogs over to hunt! Seeing all those pointers and having the only Lab made me feel like I wasn't in the group or something...LOL, but Nov. is coming and Amber will have her best days then.:thumbsup:

All in all I'm glad I went and got to do it. :cheers:

When you are saying "Chickens". Are referring to Prairie Chickens or Sharptails, or both??? Just wondering.

We only shot 1 Sharptail and 13 or 14 Chickens. The Sharptails were the ones that flushed way out on us. The Chickens held nice and tight for the most part.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I've shot a lot of Sharpies but never a PC. Do PC's taste like Sharpies? Or are they better? Of course it wouldn't take much to be better tasting than a Sharptail. :)

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I've shot a lot of Sharpies but never a PC. Do PC's taste like Sharpies? Or are they better? Of course it wouldn't take much to be better tasting than a Sharptail. :)

You know, I'm not sure. I hope they taste better I guess we will find out. :D

If not then stew meat special. :D

taste

I have tried to eat sharpies, just couldn't get it done, boiled them up for the dogs, they thought I was trying to poison them, no problem eating the chickens and I wouldn't share them with the dogs. dark meat but not purple

cheers

Hey GP, if you are out there again and get some Chickens drop one off in Watertown on your way home! :)

I would have given them all to you, I have 100 pheasants to shoot yet this year.... I give away a lot of meat, cant eat that much!:thumbsup:

I have had better luck with the sharptail by treating them like beef.

Age it a few days.

Overnight in favorite steak marinade. I like a Chipotle marinade with lots of Cilantro in it.

Cook on a very hot grill to medium rare.

david0311

The best way I found for sharpies and carp as well--(old story coming)

Is get a plank board (pine if available) stuff bird with apple place on plank--cook at very high heat for two hours--or more

Let bird and plank cool--

Throw away bird--

Eat plank--:rolleyes:

Back