Old Double guns

odenney

Seeing who else hunts with old double guns, I use a 1927 LeFever 12 gauge double that is choked Mod/Full, it does very well for birds that have wised up, my other one is a 1937 L.C. Smith in 16 gauge choked Imp Cyl/Mod. It has the Hunter Arms single trigger with the beaver tail forearm. Both are great shooters and lock up like a bank vault. Heading out to Iowa end of next month with L.C.

Sounds like you have two really nice classics. Good for you to still be using them. I had a 16 ga. LC Smith which I foolishly traded away. Wish I could get it back. Lesson learned. My current "older shotgun" is a post-war Belgian Guild gun ( probably made in early '50s) in 16 gauge. If I ever win the Lotto, I'll be able to get another classic. !

I don't hunt with one now, but a Fox of some kind is on my long-term list. It will probably end up being a "one gun for the price of two" proposition because it will likely require choke work, chamber work to accept 2-3/4 shells, and a restock. Most of those older Foxes have a ridiculous amount of drop in the stock dimensions.

I have a Fox 12, and I can live with the stock, but try patterning Fox mod and full sometime. Tight and insane tight is more like it. 80%+ patterns with modern shells at 40 yards.

I have an LC Smith 16ga 2 barrel set.(1) 26" cy/imp cyl (2) 28" mod/full.Made in 1939 and other than a little wear on the case color it's really nice. It' a natural born killer. I can shoot it as good as any other gun I own, modern or vintage. I shoot others but I hunt primarly with this gun. Drop is not bad, Oh I also locks up as tight as a bank vault

I have an old 16 gauge Stevens 5100. I purchased it about 5 years ago at a garage sale for $100.

I refinished the stock and installed a new recoil pad. I also had to regulate the left barrel as it did not shoot to point of aim. I love the gun and shoot it as well as any gun that I own.

Super find and buy

A good friend found a 16 gauge double Parker at an estate sale, that was made in 1920, that was still new in the original box and had never been fired, he picked that jewel up for $1000. He uses it for hunting all the time, and it will be making the hunting trip the end of next month to Iowa. He also has a nice L.C. Smith in 12 gauge that will also go.

Hi, here are my vintage doubles, all SxS's made from circa 1887 to 1940 and the country of origin:

12b James Purdey, Best (SLE, DT) English
12b Holland & Holland, Royal (SLE, DT) English
12b E.J. Churchill, Premiere Quality (SLE, DST) English
12b John Blanch, Best (Backaction, DT & Damascus bbls) English
12b Henry Atkin, Best (SLE, DT) English
12b Joseph Harkom, Hammergun (DT) English
12b Samuel Allport, Hammergun (DT) English
16b John Wilkes, Best Grade (SLE, DT) English
16b Charles Hellis, Best Grade (BLE, DT) English
16b Charles Boswell, 2d Quality (BLE, DT) English
16b D. Gotobed, Hammergun (damascus bbls) English
16ga Carl Goluch, Hammergun (made by Franz Sodia) Austrian

As you can tell, I like English guns......a lot!

Best!

Greg

Seeing who else hunts with old double guns, I use a 1927 LeFever 12 gauge double that is choked Mod/Full, it does very well for birds that have wised up, my other one is a 1937 L.C. Smith in 16 gauge choked Imp Cyl/Mod. It has the Hunter Arms single trigger with the beaver tail forearm. Both are great shooters and lock up like a bank vault. Heading out to Iowa end of next month with L.C.

Cool! My Lefever is also a 1927. I've only had it for two years and it's been out hunting once. I've got other guns that see more use but I love that old timer. What part of Iowa are you going to?

Hunting in the North East part of the state, my friend is coming up from Florida with his 5 English setters and three others that are related with / hunt with we will all head out the end of next month. Living in Indiana it was never a big pheasant populated state, (not over the last 60 years anyway) we do the clean up hunts after the state completes their put and take hunting program. We usually do very good on that a lot of laughs with great friends.

Hi, here are my vintage doubles, all SxS's made from circa 1887 to 1940 and the country of origin:

12b James Purdey, Best (SLE, DT) English
12b Holland & Holland, Royal (SLE, DT) English
12b E.J. Churchill, Premiere Quality (SLE, DST) English
12b John Blanch, Best (Backaction, DT & Damascus bbls) English
12b Henry Atkin, Best (SLE, DT) English
12b Joseph Harkom, Hammergun (DT) English
12b Samuel Allport, Hammergun (DT) English
16b John Wilkes, Best Grade (SLE, DT) English
16b Charles Hellis, Best Grade (BLE, DT) English
16b Charles Boswell, 2d Quality (BLE, DT) English
16b D. Gotobed, Hammergun (damascus bbls) English
16ga Carl Goluch, Hammergun (made by Franz Sodia) Austrian

As you can tell, I like English guns......a lot!

Best!

Greg

OOOOMMMMGGGG:eek:

Ericb, where did you come across your 27 Lefever and what did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking

I won it on gunbroker. I'd been looking for a good one for a long time. I took a chance and was the only bidder so I got it. Turned out to be in really nice shape with some of the case colors showing. I paid about $325 after shipping. The seller was in N.Y. I think. 30" barrels choked M/F.

I think I did alright. Tell me about yours.

Ericb I got mine at the Indiana 1500 gun and knife show, I paid $400 for it, he thought it was made in the 1950's but checking the serial number and making sure the forearm one matched the one on the water board I was sure it was before that (249095) as I was walking out a guy asked me if it was for sale, I told him I had just bought it, he said I will give you $800 for it, I told him no thanks. I took about 30 more steps and a guy offered to buy it for $800 also again, again I said no. I finally got out the building and walking across the parking lot a guy offered to buy if for $1000 then $1200 still I hung onto it.

I like mine, but I'm not so sure that I could pass up any of those offers. The fact that it's the same year my mom was born and I bought it the year she passed away kind of make it sentimental for me. Of course, I didn't know what year it was made until I got it home.

Do you shoot heavy pheasant loads through yours or stick with light loads? I kind of baby mine.

That is kind of crazy, my mom was born the same year also, and that is why I hung onto it. If I had that kind of money to throw around, I figured I really didn't need any of the offers. I shoot 2 3/4 1 1/8 ounce, I have other guns if I want to go bigger. I am on the lookout for a nice Fox, to kind of top me off. I have doubles in 12, 16, and 20. The 20 is a new one made by Stoger it makes a quick quail and rabbit gun with 26 inch barrels and a single trigger

I have a Remington 16 gauge with Damascus barrels, is there any shell I can use in it ?

Hevi shot classic doubles or rst shells. You could also reload some low pressure loads that would be safe I'd think.

That is kind of crazy, my mom was born the same year also, and that is why I hung onto it. If I had that kind of money to throw around, I figured I really didn't need any of the offers. I shoot 2 3/4 1 1/8 ounce, I have other guns if I want to go bigger. I am on the lookout for a nice Fox, to kind of top me off. I have doubles in 12, 16, and 20. The 20 is a new one made by Stoger it makes a quick quail and rabbit gun with 26 inch barrels and a single trigger

I sent you a p.m.

Just won an Ithaca 12ga N.I.D. in a gunbroker auction, so I guess I'll be hunting with two old doubles this fall. And not getting any better as far as the shotgun addiction I guess.

Back