Off season food advice

I apology for the length of what it will take me to put this question out.
I feed a 30/20 899 Kcal/cup food all year long. I like the stool size and energy in the season. Where I'm questioning myself is cutting back in the off season. Off-season amount is a little over 2 cups per day/2 feedings or she will gain weight. (yes, I do not provide the calorie burn for her that hunting does, yet she gets exercised almost every day). I find she is just hungry. We go out and she immediately goes to the garden to gnaw on old kale plants or hits the bird feeder for seeds, hits the corn field for cobs....AND I can't even talk about deer poop on our walks. (that really frustrates me). I never liked going to a "less caloric" food as the stools get so big and I don't feel like they are getting the best diet.
I am new to the site and surely this has been discussed to death, so I will apologize again. However if anyone has thoughts and time to reply, I appreciate that. I know the previous dog food post asked for brand and some on there mentioned mixing but I would benefit from this specific question.
In closing, I want to compliment the fiber of people that are on this site as well as the administrator. Far too many sites I follow are full of egos, bashing, and people I just wouldn't care to meet. This site has been refreshing, helpful, and actually inspiring. I look forward to hopping on and seeing what other pheasant/dog lovers have to say.
Thanks much,
Mike from WI

I'm afraid I don't have a lot to add other than to feed according to body shape whether that is 1 cup or 4? which in most sporting breeds is that slight hour glass shape in thru the hips and waist. Should be able to feel a hint of ribs running your fingers down their side. I'm assuming a clean bill of health at the vet?

Mine sometimes will munch on some mulch that shows thru the snow. He's in great shape so I know he's not malnutioned.

Thanks Weimdogman. I didn't post my question very well. Should have been , "Who changes food in the off season to account for dog not feeling as full. Or something like that. I'm leaning your way. Will see what coat and eyes look like with a change. Quick question for you. I feed at night during hunting season and AM and PM in the off season. Any thoughts on that and if that has an impact on a dog's appetite in regards to what we are discussing?

Hello,
I have a high energy GSP, he gets 3 cups of 30/20 a day off season. One cup am two cups pm. During the season, he gets four, 2 am, 2 pm when we’re not hunting. On days before hunts he gets all in the pm. On trips where we go 3 or 4 days straight he gets fed in the pm 4 cups plus a half can of wet. I float all his food in water, to slow the in take as he inhales his food. Never had a issue with appetite. I feed Nutri source performance.

Individual results may vary.

Some dogs process some foods better then others. All 30/20 foods are not the same. Caloric count comes from a laboratory not my / your dog's digestive system.

I honestly believe Weims are ancestors of goats the way they consume grass.

Everything I have read says food produces energy 24 hours later. I feed heavier in the am because of this.

I feed Victor Professional at 30/20 a month before and during season then switch to Victor Performance 26/18 out of season. Although I work the dogs year round, there's no comparison in activity to the actual hunt. Also, keeps me from having to change serving amounts. Great coats, energy and stool year round.

JMc, Thank you. I'm going to give that route a try.

I feed the same year round, just so I dont have to worry about transitioning on/off food. Realistically if I would change anything, I would change the amount

Canned green beans are a great way to supplement less food. Dogs love them, get filled up, and no calories.

Hello,
I have a high energy GSP, he gets 3 cups of 30/20 a day off season. One cup am two cups pm. During the season, he gets four, 2 am, 2 pm when we’re not hunting. On days before hunts he gets all in the pm. On trips where we go 3 or 4 days straight he gets fed in the pm 4 cups plus a half can of wet. I float all his food in water, to slow the in take as he inhales his food. Never had a issue with appetite. I feed Nutri source performance.
I am interested in why you don't feed PM only year around? I switched to once a day feedings with my pack years ago and love it. The dogs seem to as well.

The way a dog digest food, I feel you should only feed once a day. For a young puppy, 2 or 3 feedings should be given but for an adult dog, you are better to feed once a day in the evening for the dog to reap the benefits hunting the next day. Feeding a high quality 30/20 food, very few dogs are going to require much more than 4 cups in the off season. I have a 65 lb male that gets 4 cups in the off season and could probably cut down to 3.5 but I like mine looking healthy. My 57 lb female gets 3.5. I feed Pro Plan. My old male was 91 lbs with ribs showing and would get 4 in the off season and 5 during hunting season.

I reduce the amount I feed a little in the off season. It seems to work to keep a consistent weight.

As for eating other things, I wish I had the answer. Where I exercise my dogs, the big temptations are goose poop and sometimes green wheat.

I feed once a day. As stated, I do drop down in protein and fat in the off-season. Really have no reasoning or data to back it up, it just works for my GSP's. They maintain there weight and coat. Stool doesn't change of if it does, I'm sure not noticing (still pick up a ton with two dogs). As for transitioning, I never worry about it. I'll start mixing off-season kibble with in-season kibble when I get close to the bottom of the feed tub. Never a problem. I might add, I feed my GSP's on large baking sheets. This prevents gulping down big bites of kibble. They have to chase it around. Works great.

I feed PPP Sport Salmon 30/20 year round. I just got a new Vizsla pup and I have him on it now too. I thought about going to a lower calorie/fat food during the off season but decided to just keep them on it year round. My GSP was thin and undersized when I got her and her coat was dry. She has filled out, coat is great and her poop is firm. I decided not to screw with success and just reduce portions.

Back