Now I know

dodger

That this is a Pheasant forum.. an I dont have the first place to hunt them at.. but I'm in the process of making a trip to the black hills section of South Dakota to hunt turkeys... Any of you guys live around that area, an if so do you have any pointers? Its 1450 miles from my front door to the area I want to hunt... an would like to be in a good area.. trip is may 2nd-7th

i think there's a place called "pine ridge" or something like that up there and i think it's on an indian reservation i looked into at one time to go up there and hunt it seemed like a good place to go just never got around to it , i don't think it was overlly expensenive either.

i think there's a place called "pine ridge" or something like that up there and i think it's on an indian reservation i looked into at one time to go up there and hunt it seemed like a good place to go just never got around to it , i don't think it was overlly expensenive either.

theres alot of fees to go through including having to get a Indian Guide as well (paid as well) to hunt turkey. youre better off going to Rapid City and find a farm that will let you hunt.

Any Indian Reservation hunts are costy.

you can find your place to hunt. All numbers listed below are tribals.

Tribal Reservations
State licenses are not valid on trust lands of an Indian tribe unless authorized by the tribal council. Individual tribes may require a tribal permit to hunt on their lands. Contact the individual tribes to find out what licenses they offer and the cost.

Not all the land inside the South Dakota reservations is under tribal jurisdiction. If you hunt on private land deeded to non-Indians, you must have a state license.

Lower Brule--605/473-5666
Pine Ridge--605/455-2584
Rosebud--605/747-2289
Cheyenne River--605/964-7812
Standing Rock--701/854-7236
Yankton--605/384-3804
Crow Creek--605/245-2187
Sisseton/Wahpeton--605/698-3911
Flandreau Santee Sioux--(605) 997-5123

Last edited:
theres alot of fees to go through including having to get a Indian Guide as well (paid as well) to hunt turkey. youre better off going to Rapid City and find a farm that will let you hunt.

Any Indian Reservation hunts are costy.

Not necessarily true. On a couple of the reservations it is cheaper for a non-res to hunt there than on public/private land in the state. It is worth checking into. Not a all reservations require a guide.

Thanks guys, I'm from Mississippi.. its gonna be 20 hours of driving... an I want to smoke some birds... keep the info coming

thanks again

I envy you guys.. we dont have pheasants in Mississippi.. only turkey , deer, rabbit, tree rats an predators... oh an we shoot doves an ducks too... herd they are some mighty fine eating... whens the season

Thanks guys, I'm from Mississippi.. its gonna be 20 hours of driving... an I want to smoke some birds... keep the info coming

thanks again

Dodger, Black Hills is one of best places to hunt turkey in the country. A lot of state a federal land. I don't hunt there myself as I have a place in WI to hunt Easterns. The hilss are a beautiful place to hunt. If you do the work you can cash in on a tom but you may also need to stop at the meat locker on way out of town to get some smoked turkey. That's the beauty of the hunt. Wish I could be more help.

If you get the Outdoor channel. at 4:00PM central on Hunting The Country today. They are hunting Turkey's on a reservation in South Dakota. You might pick up some info on this program that would help you out on your hunting trip. Also, this program might be on a couple more times this week, if you can't watch it today

Onpoint

Last edited:
dont get the outdoor channel.. I hate to watch hunting on TV... I contacted one reservation an like what i herd.. but an gonna kepp looking an not make a decision just yet

Quote dodger
"dont get the outdoor channel.. I hate to watch hunting on TV"

----------------------

:eek: ...OK..nice fella

Quote dodger
"dont get the outdoor channel.. I hate to watch hunting on TV"

----------------------
:eek: ...OK..nice fella

hes abit right. its more fun to DO the action than it is to SIT and watch someone do it.

thats what i hate about basketball and baseball.. Football i can stand watching it, but basketball and baseball are sports i RATHER be playing.

however i do like to watch Whitetail shows bc i like to some day travel and find a GOOD spot for a monster Whitetail. so far Wisc is a good state for that.

no the reason I dont watch hunting on tv is that everything now a days is about the trophy.. not that thats a bad thing, but its takes away from the enjoyment.. say a kid watches tv an all they see is BIG BUCKS being killed an then they go afield an only see a little 4 point.. they feel kinda down because they didn't get the chance at a trophy animal.. now I kill a wall hanger atleast every yeah... I hunt hard for whitetails an kill a few each year an atleast one makes the wall.... thats the reason... I looked into a reservation an am curious to know if anyone knows if there are turkeys around the Promise area of South Dakota.. around the river

Do some looking into crow creek. While PD shooting we saw several out of staters hunting turkey.

I put in for my tag on one reservatin, an now were looking in to the blck hills... doing homework, already got a good point to start from that is a little beaver pond in the hills... buddy hunted a few years ago in that are aan said there were gobbler tracks everywhere... looking into Wyoming too...

Back