Not very birdy pup

carpfisher

We had what we call a "Fun Trial" at the club this week end. My bud brought his 5 month old Spring out to run with my Sam. Because it is a fun (read training) trial if desired, they will flag the bird location. Pups was on a 50' check and Sam is hunting. Low cover so it was easy for pup to move around. Aft first she kind of hung back but then got the idea and was chasing Sam around. Sam locks up on the 1st bidr so we ease Sophie down wind "help" her find the bird. About 30 sec.'s of sniffin' around , she finds the bird tucked in the grass. So, kudo's for finding the bird but she really was not very excited about finding the bird. Just kind of sniffed it for a while then started to wander off. Eased her back in and flushed it with my toe. again, not much reaction. Good news: no reaction to the .410. Sam retrieved and when we brought the bird, quail, to her, she seemed a bit scared of the bird. we didn't force anything and she continued to "hunt" (chase)with Sam.

So, my concern is a general lack of birdiness. Should we be worrying? Yeah, it was her 1st field time and all that, but still. My 3 Bird dogs were bird nuts from the 1st scent. I just haven't seen a dog that showed so little interest interested in something that was alive.

Is the other dog very dominant? I had similar issues when I got a second pup. She seemed less than as enthusiastic as I thought she should have been. She also seemed somewhat scared of birds. It took some time but eventually I figured out she was afraid of taking the other dogs bird. Try working more just one on one with the pup. It also helped pup when I got back to basics like just putting a wing out in the yard and let her find it then a lot of positive reinforcement. Hope this helps or gives you an idea or two.

I can see 3 things done wrong from your 1st post. 1, get them started earlier. 2. never start on live birds in the field. 3 never use a gun the pups first experience. If you like, I can email you my beginnings of a gundog read I wrote.

The trainer I have used for three dogs uses live,clipped pigeons for most of the two - week training, possibly chuckers at the end of the period.

The dog is at the end of a long rope at all times, handled by an assistsant.

The clipped birds are thrown out and the dog gives chase; this is repeated throughout the sessions. They don't take the dog to a field, but train on a lawn/short grass.

Apparently this exercise "imprints" the dog at an early age, makes chasing the birds fun. At the end of this cycle, the dog is extremely excited about the idea of birds.

The next phase is performed in 10-12" grass with flags - usually with chuckers

The trainer does shoot over the dog in the second week...this process works!!

I see no cause for worry. Very young dog. She was also on a check lead which is limiting. I used to run and train my Brit pup at an off leash area that had a few wild pheasants but no hunting. He locked on his first point at six months. It's a growth and maturity thing. Don't go negative on this very young dog.

I can see 3 things done wrong from your 1st post. 1, get them started earlier. 2. never start on live birds in the field. 3 never use a gun the pups first experience. If you like, I can email you my beginnings of a gundog read I wrote.

I agree 100%. If I were to add anything it would be a #4 Don't have your new pups first experience be with another experienced dog. Some dogs do fine with this, but others get intimidated when they don't fully understand what you expect.

Some pups will shy at first from clip wings too. So you need to use deads. Sometimes they want to chew the deads or clips, then frozen is the key to start. We never shoot over a dog that fast. Delivery for a spaniel is key. Short fun and often. Once they bring birds back, then we puppy 1/4 them to get them rolling. Gunners tossing birds etc. Once they start finding game as they 1/4, we intro clips. If that goes well we intro flyer's for chase. Once chase is strong, then gun intro at a distance. May have to step back sometimes, and throw in a few other tricks to get them chasing like sucker birds etc. This way works well for many, never has a gun shy dog, develops confident flush and delivery. And has the dog finding game, flushing and retrieving shot birds by around 6-7 months. Steady to flush wing and shot around 11-14 months.

Special thanks to all you guys who provide excellent info. I truely love this site. GSP training is my favorite hobby at this point, and I truely appreciate all these tips.

I agree with Fcs totally but I think maybe the pointer could have also confused pup into thinking that's what you do when you smell a bird, just stand there.

I have some questions:

1. Had the dog been exposed to live birds before?
2. Has the dog had any training or field time prior to this?
3. Had the dog been introduced to gun fire prior to this?

I have a feeling the answer to all 3 questions might be "No". In any case, listen to what FCSpringer is telling you on this thread.

The dog is still young and needs a chance to learn and explore along with some knowledgeable guidance from the handler. I certainly wouldn't base anything on this first experience. All dogs are different, even within breeds. She might just be a little timid yet. Give her a chance. But she does need to be brought along properly.

Wow, 2 pages of replies in 24 hours. What a palce this is. Breed is English Springer Spaniel. Sam (English Setter)is all bird in the field and pretty much ignores the other dogs in the field. The opwner had plans to get her started sooner but emergency back surgery got in the way. The plan is to get to to a local pro that has a great reputation. As an after thought, I remembered she had been carsick on the way up and that probably didn't help.

To answer some of the questions:
1st time for everything other than walks and basic obedience tng.

Lotsa great advice form al and I'll post updates as she progresses thru her schooling.

Carptom: Sure! I take anything that'll help. I sent a PM with my email

Thanks to all for the responses

Wow, 2 pages of replies in 24 hours. What a palce this is. Breed is English Springer Spaniel. Sam (English Setter)is all bird in the field and pretty much ignores the other dogs in the field. The opwner had plans to get her started sooner but emergency back surgery got in the way. The plan is to get to to a local pro that has a great reputation. As an after thought, I remembered she had been carsick on the way up and that probably didn't help.

To answer some of the questions:
1st time for everything other than walks and basic obedience tng.

Lotsa great advice form al and I'll post updates as she progresses thru her schooling.

Carptom: Sure! I take anything that'll help. I sent a PM with my email

Thanks to all for the responses

Hey brother,

I believe it was FCS springer you need to pm for training tips. You probably don't want to read anything I wrote:eek:

PM sent with email address.

Tanks!
G

Back