Nonresident min hunting age?

zoellner25

Pretty simple question here, but don't seem to be finding a clear answer on the state's website. Is there a minimum age for non resident youth to pheasant hunt? My son is 10 and has hunter safety. Thinking about a trip to Kansas this fall, thanks.

Thought they could hunt without a hunter safety card if with an adult up to like 16? I think they changed to that a few years ago. I think 16 is. It off on upper age limit for youth hunters.

I bring my boys from PA. They are 12 but that is min age to get hunter safety card here. I would check with a KDWP office. I would hate to see you waste $$$$. My boys have a great time. I am sure yours will too.

thanks guys, that's what I thought too but wanted to make sure. He will be under my direct supervision for a few years anyway.

Good info. My 10 year old is begging me to bring him this Thanksgiving. We will be marching shoulder to shoulder since he has never upland hunted before. I have two good dogs so hopefully he can take at least one home and become hooked for life.

Better make sure your 10 year old has a non-resident license even though the Firearm's Safety course is not required at this age.

http://kdwpt.state.ks.us/Hunting/Applications-and-Fees

My 10 year old will be hunting side-by-side with me this year too. It should be an exciting season even if there are few birds.

Bilbo Baggins

I know when I purchase a non resident on line license for my kids I need to enter hunter safety info along with date of birth. Only Kansas youth residents under the age of 12 do not need hunter safety. I have researched this a lot when I started bringing my kids. I still recommend contacting the kdwp office. I could be wrong but I do not think non resident under 12 can purchase a license.

I would check but was able to purchase my boys out of state license without a hunter safety number till he got it.

My now 15yr old son has been pheasant hunting with me out in KS since he was 10yrs old. Once he was 11yrs old and took hunters ed, then I boughth him a license. He started off at 10yrs old just carrying around a BB gun, learned the ropes, safety, do's and don'ts, etc. Then once he took hunters ed. I let him carry a 20ga pump remington youth model. He has now progressed up to my ole winchester 1300 12ga pump. Heck, he is 5ft 10inches and 160lbs :eek::eek:

We are both looking forward to the upcoming season. We actually did okay last year, however with all the rain this year, we hope it will be better.

Plus, we both look forward to having a nice T-bone at the Bad Habit in Dodge:thumbsup::10sign:

Greg

My now 15yr old son has been pheasant hunting with me out in KS since he was 10yrs old. Once he was 11yrs old and took hunters ed, then I boughth him a license. He started off at 10yrs old just carrying around a BB gun, learned the ropes, safety, do's and don'ts, etc. Then once he took hunters ed. I let him carry a 20ga pump remington youth model. He has now progressed up to my ole winchester 1300 12ga pump. Heck, he is 5ft 10inches and 160lbs :eek::eek:

We are both looking forward to the upcoming season. We actually did okay last year, however with all the rain this year, we hope it will be better.

Plus, we both look forward to having a nice T-bone at the Bad Habit in Dodge:thumbsup::10sign:

Greg

Greg
I did the same. I had both my boys just walk for two year to learn the ropes. In PA they need to be 12 to hunt as well. I figured they should walk for two years, get the hunters safety, then flush 'em and crush 'em. My oldest as well 14yrs old. 5'9" 155 lbs. has been hunting KS since 10. Started with 20 ga. pump now this year on a tight budget, my 12 yr. old will get the pump and the oldest will either get my Browning gold or an 1100. I still believe, whether actually in the hunt or just walking along, the kids love it. When we come out is usually around youth football championship weekend. My kids have missed the game just to come out and walk.
Making memories one year at a time!!

Little Baggins is Ready

Here is what happened in the past week. I contacted KDWPT and did not get an answer yet. So, Little Baggins completed his Texas Hunter Safety Certification today by being in class all day and scoring 97% on the exam. We stopped at Academy and purchased his Texas Youth License and got HIP certified. Purchased an nice 20 gauge youth over and under yesterday. Went out shooting last night. We are both set for the doves in the morning and will both be shooting 20 gauge over and under guns.

Scouted the area we will be hunting and the doves are as thick as mosquitos. We should be in for some excellent morning action between the water and pecan groves.

Am I dreaming or is this real?

Next up, some duck hunting here in Texas in late October and the Kansas Youth Opener in early November.

Non-resident hunters, regardless of age, are required to have a non-resident hunting license. A youth license is available for youth up to 15 for $37.50. Hunter's education is required for youth 16 and older and youth not hunting under the direct supervision of a licensed adult 18 or older. In Kansas, youth have to be 11 to be hunter education certified. Out-of-state certification does meet the Kansas requirements.

Thanks Troy. I think Little Baggins got burned out on those fast moving doves this morning and wants to move back to his BB gun. We sure had a good time and the doves were thick today.

Back