Nonresident license increase for next year

no problem, one more drought year and continued piss poor WIA's and the SD experience will no longer be the value it once was.......so, my real question is, who stuffs the $1.1 million in their pockets?.......tell me who NEEDS this money and what it is used for!!!!!:mad: this is bullshit! i am calling G&F Monday and will rip their ass!

My beef is why can't I buy a year long license. SD would sell a lot more licenses if they were season long.

They dont restrict the amount of ten day licenses you can buy, so in effect, they do offer a season long ability to hunt.

And what would you think would be a reasonable fee for a season long license? That is the ultimate question..

They dont restrict the amount of ten day licenses you can buy, so in effect, they do offer a season long ability to hunt.

And what would you think would be a reasonable fee for a season long license? That is the ultimate question..

So off the top of my head if I hunted everyday of the SD season and repeatedly bought the licenses it would cost me about $1,000. Of course this very far fetched. But if I skipped all of my MN hunts and did it in SD it would be somewhere in the $350 range. My MN fishing/small game license with pheasant stamp cost me $35. I doubt many out of staters are going to hunt more then 20 days in SD so I would say a reasonable season price would be less then two ten day periods.

no problem, one more drought year and continued piss poor WIA's and the SD experience will no longer be the value it once was.......so, my real question is, who stuffs the $1.1 million in their pockets?.......tell me who NEEDS this money and what it is used for!!!!!:mad: this is bullshit! i am calling G&F Monday and will rip their ass!

So stay home:p This year is not as good a deal for residents either--quality habitat does not equal really great hunting when mother nature plays dirty---birds are down 50+% maybe more over two years ago in my CRP--no rain--hot temps do make a difference.

As for a price increase--what else that you buy as not increased over the last couple of years and who stuffs the $1.1 MILLON in their pockets? why of course it's the greedy landowners with CRP---???? Oh BTW good luck with the GF&P:D:D

Last edited:
As a non resident, I would think that if a season license would be somewhere north of $500 it would still be a bargain.

With regards to the current system, I would like to see a 9 option for the same money, with the ability to break it into 3- 3 day increments, instead of 2-5 days. but leave the 10 /2-5s intact for those that are traveling longer distances and stay longer..

I don't like to spend more than I have to on anything but as a non-resident hunter $120 or 110.00 Big deal. Minor when you consider gas prices, hotel, food, beer, ammo and so forth. As long as the money is spent towards the fish and wildlife of SD I have no issue with the increase. :cheers:

I don't like to spend more than I have to on anything but as a non-resident hunter $120 or 110.00 Big deal. Minor when you consider gas prices, hotel, food, beer, ammo and so forth. As long as the money is spent towards the fish and wildlife of SD I have no issue with the increase. :cheers:

i agree, but i am damn suspicious where a sudden windfall of a million dollars is headed....never heard a peep about their budget being one million short?
i smell fish......they didn't have the balls to raise resident prices.

i agree, but i am damn suspicious where a sudden windfall of a million dollars is headed....never heard a peep about their budget being one million short?
i smell fish......they didn't have the balls to raise resident prices.

Read the posted article again--costs to run the GF&P have risen 18% since the last increase in fees---EVRYTHING costs more today than it did a few short years ago and I'm not opposed to an increse in resident fees too. Face it---costs will continue to increase not just in SD but every where and the SD GF&P has to operate from fees charged to sportsmen, it's not just hunters and fishermen. Snowmobile owners pay a fee to use the groomed trails in the state and there is talk of a fee on ATV's and other off road users. Mt Rushmore was to be a free place forever--it still is except to have to pay to park your car there--they- will always find a way to offset costs. For those of us that want to hunt birds or to fish or anything else--we are going to pay for it and a lot larger percent too.

I wish it was not so---but it is and will not get better--enjoy the bargan while you can. :cheers:

I am well aware that you can buy multiple licenses. 2 years ago I bought 9. A lot of guys close to the boarder get turned off because of the two 5 day periods. They just want to go and hunt the weekend or just a Saturday a few times a year.

Why don't just use a season license, for say $1000.00. Go everyday, a lot of non-residents would do it thinkiing they may be back later, no split 5 day seasons, go as long as you want. I would suggest jacking up the resident licenses too. I will say that what is charged is less than buying a big game license in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho. In my opinion, pheasants are more entertaining! $1000.00 here or $1000.00 elsewhere pay your money, and take your chances. If you do it, you will need to sell 1 for every 8 now! That will take care of the overcrowding! Might be a little unsettling to the pay to hunt guys. By the way if you think the pheasant hunting abused by the state, how about waterfowl, it's a drawing!, and all the other pratfalls, and laundry list of cannots. I would also throw out SD in the compact of state wildlife agencies, ( basically they in for punitive damages for violations, but do not use the recip. lisence fees, ND does), or have every other state make SD residents pay the same rate that sportsman pays to hunt in SD.

Read the posted article again--costs to run the GF&P have risen 18% since the last increase in fees---EVRYTHING costs more today than it did a few short years ago and I'm not opposed to an increse in resident fees too. Face it---costs will continue to increase not just in SD but every where and the SD GF&P has to operate from fees charged to sportsmen, it's not just hunters and fishermen. Snowmobile owners pay a fee to use the groomed trails in the state and there is talk of a fee on ATV's and other off road users. Mt Rushmore was to be a free place forever--it still is except to have to pay to park your car there--they- will always find a way to offset costs. For those of us that want to hunt birds or to fish or anything else--we are going to pay for it and a lot larger percent too.

I wish it was not so---but it is and will not get better--enjoy the bargan while you can. :cheers:

I have asked this question many times to those who say.."EVRYTHING costs more today than it did a few short years ago" as a justification for just about everything there is that keeps going up in price. Like this is just exceptable. Do you take the same approach when our government keeps spending to stay afloat? I bet not. Then I don't except it when GF&P sticks it to us either. Why do they not have to tighten their belts and make cuts just as any other program? Why is it exceptable to allow them to spend away...but that same approach isn't exceptable to heating assistance for the poor and elderly? I'm apposed to any increase in hunting and fishing costs. They only serve to help dwindle the numbers of us hunters. $1,000 season long license costs...WTH? Then to think that driving away the crowds would be a benefit to the sport...NO it would only be a benefit to the current generation who has the capital. It would be the demise of many. They would be forced from the sport. Too much me, me, me here IMO.

Hunting for the average JOE

I have asked this question many times to those who say.."EVRYTHING costs more today than it did a few short years ago" as a justification for just about everything there is that keeps going up in price. Like this is just exceptable. Do you take the same approach when our government keeps spending to stay afloat? I bet not. Then I don't except it when GF&P sticks it to us either. Why do they not have to tighten their belts and make cuts just as any other program? Why is it exceptable to allow them to spend away...but that same approach isn't exceptable to heating assistance for the poor and elderly? I'm apposed to any increase in hunting and fishing costs. They only serve to help dwindle the numbers of us hunters. $1,000 season long license costs...WTH? Then to think that driving away the crowds would be a benefit to the sport...NO it would only be a benefit to the current generation who has the capital. It would be the demise of many. They would be forced from the sport. Too much me, me, me here IMO.

So just what is the answer? Freeze everything--make due with the funding you have--or better yet cut it 50%. Have state employes (GF&P) drive the truck we provide--but due your own maintance as there are no funds to do that--if it breaks down completely then use your private car or walk. You could always just suspend all hunting and fishing--camping and other things the GF&P supports--then you could take the money saved by shutting them down and apply it to your favorite other goverment program.

I don't have the answer--but it's a cold hard fact that everything that anyone needs, be it a goverment agency or you and me, costs more every day. Some days I'm glad that I'm 65 and won't have to watch the demise of public hunting as we know it----get rich or find another hobby because this one is on it's death bed. Woke up this morning feeling good--think I'll go take a long nap:(

I wish Kansas would grow a pair and value their resource as much as SD does. Way too cheap to come to my home state and hunt:mad:

There has already been an off road "tax" put in place.If you operate any motor vehicle on Federal land (the Nat Grassland)your vehicle must either be licensed and registered or have a current ORV decal.Kinda sucks living here on the Natl Forest as I have 6 dirt bikes, a Jeep,a four-wheeler and a Rhino.I license everything that's street legal,then sticker the rest.Don't get me started on Mt Rushmore,when they tore down that beautiful little visitor center built by the WPA and built that concrete behemoth and started charging for parking,they lost me.Have not been there since even though it's 22 mi away.

So just what is the answer? Freeze everything--make due with the funding you have--or better yet cut it 50%. Have state employes (GF&P) drive the truck we provide--but due your own maintenance as there are no funds to do that--if it breaks down completely then use your private car or walk. You could always just suspend all hunting and fishing--camping and other things the GF&P supports--then you could take the money saved by shutting them down and apply it to your favorite other government program.

I don't have the answer--but it's a cold hard fact that everything that anyone needs, be it a goverment agency or you and me, costs more every day. Some days I'm glad that I'm 65 and won't have to watch the demise of public hunting as we know it----get rich or find another hobby because this one is on it's death bed. Woke up this morning feeling good--think I'll go take a long nap:(

I'll agree with you Jim, I don't want to see public hunting go away but at the same time. There's a ton of fat that could be cut from GF&P's. Hunter and fisherman have ALWAYS pulled their weight. It's about time some of these RVer's, bikers, hikers, birdwatchers, Etc. started picking up more of the tab. Every time they raise the cost of this sport, many draw the line and go take up something else. Each time, you have those who only give a rip for themselves that say hurray!!! more for me. When really each time that happens. we loose voices and voters that help support and empower us at the poll's. GF&P's can make cuts just like everybody else. We can't raise the price forever and ever...because soon the end will come. When there's just not enough people doing it to even have hunting weigh in come time for decisions with CRP vs Big Ag for example.....it will be plow it under and drill baby drill.

Last edited:
I'll agree with you Jim, I don't want to see public hunting go away but at the same time. There's a ton of fat that could be cut from GF&P's. Hunter and fisherman have ALWAYS pulled their weight. It's about time some of these RVer's, bikers, hikers, birdwatchers, Etc. started picking up more of the tab. Every time they raise the cost of this sport, many draw the line and go take up something else. Each time, you have those who only give a rip for themselves that say hurray!!! more for me. When really each time that happens. we loose voices and voters that help support and empower us at the poll's. GF&P's can make cuts just like everybody else. We can't raise the price forever and ever...because soon the end will come. When there's just not enough people doing it to even have hunting weigh in come time for decisions with CRP vs Big Ag for example.....it will be plow it under and drill baby drill.

So if you are a hunter who also camps in your RV you should have to pay more?If you are a hunter who uses a dirt bike/ATV for back-country access you should pay more?if you are a hunter who walks (hikes) to his hunting spot you should have to pay more?That's just silly.Remember that at least half of us pay the taxes that are supposed to manage public lands,those folks include birdwatchers,bicyclists,dirt bikers etc.We who pay taxes are already pulling our weight.RVers pay min $25/night on a Natl Forest Campground,then pay for access to the boat ramp and the beach.Off-roaders use the same campground and have to buy an OHV decal,etc.You chase them off as well as the sportsman,then who supports multiple use with their vote?Please consider joining us in the Blue Ribbon Coalition which preaches tolerance and solidarity between public land users.Pointing fingers at others with different ideas about what constitutes recreation is simply intolerance and has one predictable outcome.That outcome is to let the radical antis dictate what goes on with public land.

We can scream about the fact that upland hunting is becoming "play for pay sport", For some I assume, that will ruin the sport, no birds, that ruins the sport quicker! The DU guys got right, and they are worlds ahead of us uplanders. We need to see the stark landscape of barren grasses, ( if their are any), and suck it up. Most of us are to old to see some future promise. Maybe we can see the beginning. That's what the old Duck Hunters saw in 1937. It's play for pay, backbreaking labor through acre by acre, we can claw back, volunteers to raise awareness, and money street by street. Year by year for 50 years, or how long you last. $35.00 does not provide much more than a voice support. It's O.K. but we need more, and we need matching support from corporate,government, and beneficial private benefactors. We had many good years, we need to own up and pay for it. We need "productive" members in the ranks. Not guys who reminise with the past, do that in the nursing home. It's going to get costly, go to the country club and take up golf. I spend $2000.00 per year on a duck club. We need to spend that on quail and pheasants we will see the result.

Back