Non-toxic shot

Well no sh**. He's the one who stated he does it to avoid confusion. I avoid it by only using lead. lol
Soooo... You avoid confusion by going lead-only, even though it is illegal on WPA and GPA. Versus going with non-toxic only, which also avoids confusion and is legal on all properties?

I just carry all non tox, saves confusion .
I do the same when Ive been to SD. My home range is MN, and we only need non tox on WPAs which I don't hunt alot. I always have a box or 2 of steel with me in MN. But in SD I keep it simple as well and only use non tox. Usually because I've hunted GPAs out there.

Not saying anyone's methods are wrong. But I've had to shoot non-tox on public land for probably about 30 yrs now. Maybe I have superior brain power (doubtful), but I've never found it hard to keep straight. If I think there's a chance I'll wander onto a WPA or GPA, bismuth. Anything else, lead. Lead being superior & less expensive, I just find it impossible to NOT shoot it where I can. Plus, I enjoy having different loads to consider, shoot, obtain, test, etc. All part of what I love about pheasant hunting. I hate cardboard shell boxes. They fall apart & are hard to cram shells back into. So all my shells go into clear Ziplocs. Makes swapping out shells in my vest pocket quick & easy.

"Zip-locks!".....I could un-retire my old hunting coat that has holes worn through the front cargo pockets! Brilliant! Well maybe not quite brilliant , but a good idea to put that coat back into service. No use for non-tox where I hunt. Considered having someone's wife sew liners on the inside of the pockets or some other fix...I should make sure I haven't pitched it before I get to excited about it.

In South Dakota I don't mess with lead. To me it isn't worth it. I often hunt WIA's, GMA's, WPA's, and other private lands in one day. Life is too short to worry about whether I inadvertently dropped a lead shell into my vest pocket. All it takes is one. Life is too short. If I'm on one of my 28ga benders, I'll have two vests, one for 20ga and one for 28ga, both non-tox.

Some guys have 2 vests, tox/non tox. I have 2 vests for different gauges.
Since I do not like to weigh down my vest with shells, I use two different shell belts. Put the weight on your hips and not your shoulders. Your shoulders tend to get stiff and sore carrying the gun and will impede gun mount. Stay nimble.

Back