No help in my time of need

Whats wrong with the world today:( I go pheasant hunting and thats when the unthinkable happens I fall through the ice:eek: It was 15 degrees and soaked to the bone mostly right side didn't want to get cell phone wet. As I'm flopping around in this knee deep water I'm thinking a great time for a lassie moment my dog will save me. Nothing ding dong keeps hunting pheasant:eek: No reaching his paw out or bringing a long stick over for me to grab nothing:mad: After all I've done for him this is the thanks I get. We'll I survived, but learned a very valuable lesson today wear a life jacket next time I go hunting:D Is there anything else I'm not thinking of that I should've learned?

why in the hell are you hunting for pheasants on a lakebed? you realize birds dont walk on ice or even take cover from ice.

heres a suggestion... hunt near trees... or crop fields.. or CRPs.. now if youre hunting for ducks or geese.. then i can see this happening.. but pheasants??

why in the hell are you hunting for pheasants on a lakebed? you realize birds dont walk on ice or even take cover from ice.

heres a suggestion... hunt near trees... or crop fields.. or CRPs.. now if youre hunting for ducks or geese.. then i can see this happening.. but pheasants??

cattails and willows are full of birds now. they walk on ice just fine. late season really sucks after water goes down after marshs freeze. ice breaks easier and cuts into your shins.

I have been getting all the birds up now walking on water. Thats where they are now. At least in this part of the world. Ice is 6" thick here. but there is always spring areas to avoid, you can see them most of the time. It will be the dark spot or the melted snow area. Bird man, are you telling me you never hunt cattails in SD???? Are you serious.

Hey Coot, wear stilts, that way when you fall through you stay dry.:D

That's the funniest thing I've ever read on this forum! FCSpringer was right in his comment!

You have to come duck hunting out here sometime. I'm pretty sure we'd have some good laughs out on the river!

I love duck hunting:thumbsup: Don't get me going down memory lane on ducks It'll never end:D Some coolpics: of duck hunting out there would sure be nice. Good laugh never hurt no one:thumbsup:

We'll I survived, but learned a very valuable lesson today wear a life jacket next time I go hunting:D Is there anything else I'm not thinking of that I should've learned?

We'll that may be going a little far, but at least a spare pair of pants, socks and boots. :) Been there done that....

At least in this part of the world. Ice is 6" thick here. but there is always spring areas to avoid, you can see them most of the time. It will be the dark spot or the melted snow area.

There are definitely areas on the sloughs that may not be completely frozen enough to hold your weight. I recently was out on one slough and my foot prints filled with water. The deep snow is acting as an insulator, so it will be a while yet. You want to especially take care around creeks. Safe hunting guys.:thumbsup:

. Bird man, are you telling me you never hunt cattails in SD???? Are you serious.

sure i have. just dont go where theres 1-2 foot of water sitting under a sheet of ice. im sure my gun range can reach any birds fly out where water is sitting.

I understand what your saying. Its dangerous but I know the waters not deep in the slough. I take it you don't ice fish:)

I do NOT ice fish, hunt ducks or geese. just pheasants and deer hunting is all i do. but i dont get alot of geese or ducks in my area so I didnt make a habit of hunting that. if i had grew up all my life in Pierre, SD, im sure i would be duck and geese hunting.

i need another beer. my other one taste flat.

Back