NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

Dumped another 0.65" out of rain gauge at the Ponderosa from Tuesday night's rain. Now some rain again, sometimes heavy.

Temps to be approaching 100 degrees for the weekend. Hot, dry and windy in forecast, but at the moment it is rain.

From the weather bureau facebook page at 0945, Thursday, June 8, 2017.

US National Weather Service Dodge City Kansas
50 mins ?
...Now passing 19" for 2017 at Dodge City...
With the current rain this morning, the annual rainfall total has passed 19". Normal is 8.44". Anyone want to go for 20"?

Last edited:
2.40" in several locations in south and southwest Dodge City in the past few hours.

Sounds like a year of recovery from the drought of 12 and the fire of 17. Sure a lot better than being dry right now! Enjoy it while it lasts.

Yes Drifter, that is true. My wife and I were sitting in McDonald's this noon during a downpour and I mentioned that it could dry up just as fast. I had to dig some postholes and I don't remember the last time I could bury my MY-D-HAN-D 12 volt post hole digger and still be bring up moist soil. The first one I had to dig was in a driveway area and I just knew is was going to be hard, but it was easy digging. I'll sure take this moisture even though I am way behind at the Ponderosa. The critters have a jungle to live in at the moment.

I could use a little!! Had about 10 drops but one heck of a lightning show!! 95 degrees tomorrow and I am not ready for that! Took about 10 minutes today for me to get a little red and it was not that hot out. Scramble for the Sunscreen!Darn Norwegian skin tone!:D

FROM THURSDAY, JUNE 8, 2017

US National Weather Service Dodge City Kansas
11 hrs ?
...Rainfall reports from heavy rain around Dodge City earlier today...
Location Amount
6 SW Ft. Dodge 4.70 in
7 SSW Ft. Dodge 3.40 in
7 S Dodge City 3.25 in
5 WSW Dodge City 3.00 in
1 SW Dodge City 2.69 in
4 SW Dodge City 2.50 in
3 SSW Dodge City 2.40 in
5 SE Howell 2.30 in
5 SW Ft. Dodge 2.00 in

I did not think it was possible to have a good hatch in both Kansas and Missouri. In the past, Missouri's dilemma is heavy rain in June.

This year, as last year, looks good. Good rain early spring. Nice and green with just the right amount of rain.

And Kansas is getting its rain!

Good year to be a bird hunter.

All I know is that last year I saw the highest numbers of quail and turkeys at the Ponderosa in my lifetime. I am anxious to see how the next few months turn out. Hopefully, the birds will be fruitful and multiply. PTL

I had 0.80" at the Ponderosa vs. the heavy rains near Dodge.

The wheat is really mixed in the area. Some standing good and others down or twisted and turned from heavy blown rain.

I would guess harvest will start in the June 27-July 1 time frame.

I have not seen any hatches of quail, pheasant, turkey or lesser prairie chicken yet. I suspect there are some around the Ponderosa, but with my limited time at the moment and the tremendous cover I may not seen them until cutting wheat. I am seeing some whitetail fawns.

sounds most promising thank you so much for your updates. with the number of birds from last season, a mild winter, lots of bugs and cover, oh boy.

I am seeing a lot of rooster and hens paired up. Does that mean the snow, cold, and rain destroyed the first round of nesting? If so, will the wheat harvest destroy the nests they are rebuilding?

Well, that all but missed us! Had .04 in the gauge! That won't do any good at all! We're dry and I'm needing some moisture so I can get to my summer burns. It's getting so dry that it is near impossible to get the disk in the ground. I'm getting marshes ready for the NAWCA grant right now. Also trying to plant millet and set back cattails and trees. It'll be time to start getting some gly on some of those and maybe mow them later. Probably can't get the disk through all the residue to get millet in this year. Durn beavers set back our dry-down and we're late getting to this point. I'm mowing stuff taller than the tractor ROP.

Actually, I saw you from above on Google Earth. I think the rains will return very soon and keep up the great work Maynard.

Last edited:
Hope everyone is loving this mild weather we have been having lately. Haven't heard much about chick sightings / conditions in a while. How are things looking out there? I'm hearing some good things about quail broods from the local wildlife area manager in the eastern part of the state. We've been fortunate enough to receive timely rains this summer and vegetation / crops are looking great!

Hard to see anything at the jungle at the Ponderosa. Lots of tall weed growth. CRP grass and forbs are in excellent shape. Not seeing many pheasants, but again so much cover. Seeing nice quail hatches along the trails. Seeing a number of quail hatches along the roads in places not known for many quail. Turkey hatch has been excellent. Other critters, like coon, have done well and need a little thinning out. Deer are in velvet and putting on nice growth this year. Haven't seen any lesser prairie chicken hatches yet.

Interestingly enough I travel a loop from NE KS where I live out to central KS along the I135 corridor and then down to OKC and over to Tulsa and then back north to home. I lived in Central KS from 2001-2013 and don't remember ever seeing a rooster fly across 135. I've seen at least 1 pheasant fly across the highway on every trip this summer. I have a fair number of friends still in the region and the reports from central KS are encouraging. The truth is I look pretty hard for pheasants as seeing them in my neck of the woods has gotten to be a rare treat. I'm hoping that what I'm seeing is a reflection of improved populations and not wishful thinking. I was seeing a few more birds in NE KS the last couple of years but I haven't seen any this year. The cover is ridiculously thick this year so it's hard to tell if that's because the birds aren't there or if there just isn't a reason for them to be out. I'm hopeful for the latter. In any case, I absolutely love this thread. Thanks guys!

Back