New or used?

sloth5202

I know this is my second thread in one day but I'm all wound up waiting for my new gun and pheasant season so my mind can only think about a few things....

My question to you guys is when you are buying a gun do you buy new or used?

My latest gun purchase was a used gun on gunbroker.com and it was so slick. I was a little overwhelmed at first but after browsing for a while and going to some gun shops to shoulder some guns and check out prices I felt much more informed and a lot less overwhelmed.

I realize the website does have a lot of dealers on there but it was nice to see and compare prices on a lot of used guns. This isn't an easy task when actually visiting numerous store's. How many of you guys buy your guns online? What kind of research do you do? Do you prefer new or used guns?

I like New Guns. I have bought a few online from CDNN. I did a search and went to the MFG. Website to get the info I wanted..........Bob

Both. I like some new guns and I like some quality older fine made guns too

I shoot best with a gun I bought new, a Winchester SX2 light 12, But I'm a sucker for old classic doubles, last two still waiting for, a Westley Richards, and Woodward. Gun I grab to hunt with, a 12ga. Parker VH, built 1908, with 28 inch blls. imp/mod. on #2 frame, 8# 's but balances so well you'll never know. So much history in the old guns, you can only imagine what they have witnessed! They almost have souls.

I shoot best with a gun I bought new, a Winchester SX2 light 12, But I'm a sucker for old classic doubles, last two still waiting for, a Westley Richards, and Woodward. Gun I grab to hunt with, a 12ga. Parker VH, built 1908, with 28 inch blls. imp/mod. on #2 frame, 8# 's but balances so well you'll never know. So much history in the old guns, you can only imagine what they have witnessed! They almost have souls.

Agree 100% on the old stuff oldandnew

I made my living selling used cars. I am a big believer in used cars and used guns. I have never had a problem or lemon in either category. I will let somebody else take the depreciation.

I guess I should have rephrased my question... I'm on a pretty small budget when it comes to buying guns. Would you guys rather buy a used firearm or maybe a more price conscience new gun from maybe an inferior manufacturer?

I really wanted to buy a semi-auto but looking at my budget I really couldn't afford a decent brand name gun. I read some reviews on some of the new budget autos and there were just too many horror stories out there for me to to pull the trigger. My experience in the past with purchases other than guns has been that when you go off brand more times than not you tend to get what you pay for (i.e. electronics... usually they just don't last very long).

What do you guys think?

I would prefer a used Browning, Beretta, Remington, Winchester, etc to a new something else.

If you want an autoloader, look at any of a variety of Winchesters, from model 50's thru 1400's (most didn't like at the time because they weren't built like Model 12's, but I know dozens which have functioned perfectly for 40 years) thru the SX 1, 2, 3. Can't go wrong with Remington 1100's and 11-87's. all capable of many thousands of rounds without problems. price can be anywhere from $300.00 on upto whatever. But price shouldn't be an issue. beauty of gun ownership is there is no limit! and you don't have to own it forever.

I bought my first gun new and my second gun used. I think I got a terrific deal on the used gun and would do that again for sure.

I buy both new and used rifles and shotguns but seldom buy used handguns...don't have a valid reason other than it's just the way I have done it. I have no issues buying used.

Back