New, old, shotgun

Kismet

UPH Guru
For years, I've wanted a 12ga single shot with screw-in chokes. I'm not getting any younger, so I took a Winchester 370 12ga full 30" and had it cut down to 25" and a screw-in improved cylinder choke installed. It's light, was pretty beat up on the stock and forearm when I got it, and, basically, I figured I couldn't hurt it much more than the previous owner?(s)? already did. The Win 370 is not a collector model. :)

Picked it up today from the gunsmith and took it out hunting. Neat little gun: fast to the shoulder, easy to track with, and the lighter weight makes a difference to this old guy. Nice large trigger guard to allow winter gloved finger access to the trigger.

The dog didn't care. :)

I did have to restrain myself from shooting at far-flushing birds--birds I would have gotten with a full choke, as I did earlier in the week. I only got the improved cylinder choke insert so far, but will probably get a mod in the near future, so when the birds are out there, I can make a field change.

Stock is refinished, and I think I'll have either get an extension for the hammer or do a JBWeld extension for heavier gloves, but that's a small thing.

We got two birds today and now I have to eat pheasant for a few days, since Wisconsin has a four bird possession limit...including the birds in the freezer. The State has changed that limitation for duck hunters, but nothing on pheasants so far.

I believe the waterfowl possession law is a federal deal I doubt we'll see a change for pheasants although it'd be nice.

Yeah, you're right--migratory birds under Federal rules, but think the DNR is the only one with Wardens enforcing them; come to think of it, never met a Federal warden, but we don't have a lot of Federal properties around here.

I really wish I could have some birds in the freezer and still hunt during season. Upland bird hunting with a dog is my personal favorite activity. I don't mind the restriction on daily limit, but some years the window is so small when weather and bird availability come together, be nice to take the opportunity.

Not likely, but maybe someday.

Two more birds came home today. :)

Mick really is showing skills. The second bird kept on flying, only to falter just as it crested high ground and disappeared from sight. I figured it was light hit, and called the dog over for the 75-100 yard ( or more ) tromp. I'd lined up some leafless trees as directional aids, and walked up and down towards them. Mick came over near me and hunted the thatched high grass and weeds. I expected to have him work over some ground ahead of us, but he started getting interested about 10 yards sooner. I stopped and watched the dog work (my favorite part) and darned if he didn't stick his head into and through tall ground cover and then start an intimate discussion with the rooster! The bird was completely camoflaged and not where I expected it to be.

I concluded the discussion, and praised the beastie lavishly. My praise is something which he routinely ignores. Once found or retrieved, he loses interest--in the bird and in me.

On the trip home, I dropped one of the birds off at a friend who can't walk the fields very well anymore. He's a good guy, even if he MUST take the first shot.

The new single shot 12 has accounted for four of the eight birds this season. I'm quite pleased.

Looks like a fun gun Kis, I really am starting to like the idea of a single shot more and more. Oh and that is one handsome pup you have there, congrats to you and Mick on finding one another.:cheers:

Looks like a fun gun Kis, I really am starting to like the idea of a single shot more and more. Oh and that is one handsome pup you have there, congrats to you and Mick on finding one another.:cheers:

Thank you, QH.

Needed some shells, so made the trek down to the nicest sporting goods store in Wisconsin, and while there, asked about a modified choke. Turns out that Winchester, Mossberg, and some other mfr. finally got their stuff together and used the same threading for the chokes. I'm using a Mossberg improved cyclinder now, and bought a modified for other times and conditions.

Tried to make sure I'd find the new choke when I needed it. Glove compartment, game bag, hunting jacket pocket...just didn't seem to work, given my failing memory these days. :)

Then, the skies opened, and a voice in my head said, "Well, what will you KNOW you have with you when you want it?"

Ta-daa !
Swiss Army pocketknife has phillips head blade. :)

Still really liking the old, new gun...six out of ten birds this season came home because of it. There ARE more birds out there this year.

I'm faster with it, and a smarter shot because of it.

If you are serious about a single shot I'd advise you to look for a Savage 220. They are a hammerless single shot. My first gun in 1956 was a Savage 220A in .410 ga. A number of years ago I bought a 220B in 16 ga. They are really nice single shots with a tang safety and no hammer. You can find them in various gauges on GunBroker.com.

I have a Browning single shot recoiless trap gun with screw in chokes. Not sure I would carry it for hunting. A bit of a beast.

I'll never forget when I was a young cocky gunslinger with a Rem. 1100, getting humbled by a guy with an old beat-up single shot. I've never looked down on a man's shotgun since!!

I was going through old posts and came across this.

Lord, I do miss Mick.

Dogs which have left me still live in my head and heart.

Be well.
Glad you brought back this post. With all the benefits of our modern age--clothes, electronics, guns, and, well bred and trained dogs--and, given the state of the wild bird populations, I'm glad to see other people here using single shot guns...limiting their opportunity on birds to one shot per bird. As for myself, I have two single shot guns, a Savage 220D, 20ga, and a Lefever 16ga, Long Range Field and Trap(?) that's stock heavy. It would be great to see companies like CSMC build new single shot guns...I believe CSMC currently has the rights to mfg. Savage guns (A.H.Fox). I'd like to have a new mfg. Savage single shot, using modern metals and screw-in chokes.

I picked up a Savage Stevens 94 in 12 ga. recently. It was missing a couple parts but I had some pieces laying around that I was able to use. I plan on using it to get some roosters in the fall.

Yeah, but a model 94 has an external hammer on it. I prefer Savage 220 series because they were made with a box-lock (internal hammer) frame, with top tang safety. Savage also offered these in combo sets. The rifle barrels they offered were: 30/30, 22 mag, 22 Hornet---some other calibers, also, I believe.

They’re getting hard to find in decent condition. I’ve had a couple of them, a 12 and a 20. Resold them both for a ridiculous profit.

Back