New initiative by PF

labrador

Pheasants Forever has indicated they will release a new habitat initiative on February 25th during a virtual event.

Two questions:

1. What do you think PF's initiative will be?

2. What one thing (not weather) do you think would be most beneficial to wild pheasants.

1. Have no idea.
2. Increase the Habitat.

Original question 2 poorly constructed by me. What one thing/program would you like to see implemented that would be of the greatest benefit to wild pheasants regardless of cost?

Put some of these on pheasants. See what comes of it.
The ones they put on ducks are $1,500 a piece, but you said cost wasn't an issue.

#1, no idea

#2, I will go with 5 stands first answer; habitat....create more of it....incentives for private land owners (that is where the land is) to create it.....sounds like crp...blocks or filter strips. Can't get more birds without the habitat.

It would be interesting to get a half dozen local roosters with those gps units just to see their travels.

Buy land in pheasant country. Manage it for pheasants. Enroll it in that state's version of WIHA. Use proceeds from CRP, crop share, WIHA lease payments, oil/gas/wind, etc. to buy even more land.

I'd like to see PF make an arrangement with the powers that be to focus on and improve the guaranteed public hunting lands. Land that is owned by the State or by the Feds, land that can't be leased out to private interests. Land that is and will always be open to public hunting.

Regarding the travel/disbursal of pheasants... we did an experiment in Surrogators last summer. We raised all melanistic mutants in several units. These birds turned up many miles from the release locations. Many of these sightings occurred prior to any hunting pressure or the need for birds to travel for food or cover. My hypothesis is that movement of birds is much more substantial than we perhaps believe it to be. The movement may be precipitated by aggression from other local birds driving them away or pushed by predators, who knows.

In my area there just is very little public owned property for improvements to be made in. The public I have seen, looks to have great cover....kudos to the state!

They can stop trying to recruit me as a member again. I'm sick of the emails, mail, and phone calls. Same with Ducks Unlimited, NRA, and NWTF too. Its like once they have your info, they're like a used car salesman. Just relentless

So you have quit pheasant hunting and wanting to create habitat. No need to explain any further. I hear you, loud and clear.

So you have quit pheasant hunting and wanting to create habitat. No need to explain any further. I hear you, loud and clear.
Incorrect. I just don't want to be a member of those organizations anymore and I believe one request to stop bothering me should be adequate.

I did not indicate I quit hunting nor wanting to create habitat. Glad you presumed that though.

I've got a friend that ranches in western South Dakota. His ranch has a relatively large amount of cropland for that part of the state. I never realized how much of a positive impact Winter Wheat has on nesting/brood rearing until I started hunting there. I would like to see some cooperation with farmers to get more Winter Wheat planted in areas that are lacking in nesting/brood rearing habitat.

Has anyone who has been in sales for more than 10 minutes ever stopped at the first NO? Seriously, these groups believe they have a good program, enjoy getting kids into the outdoors, perpetuate hunting and creating habitat. Actually, they likely know you purchase a hunting license and your interests should be in-line with theirs, but it doesn't sound like that is the case. Quit buying hunting licenses might be the only was to avoid the harrassing calls, but don't do that, we need to get more into hunting, the more numbers, the louder the voice.....much easier to take away from a few that it is from many. They are working to help you, even if you don't want their help. Might be a topic for a different thread, but what exactly soured you on the habitat groups? I do spend some money at their programs. I look forward to the local PF banquit and talking to like minded folks. If you need places to hunt, network at these, you need help with creating habitat on your land or with food plots, talk to the directors they want to help. Personally, I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want be a member of these kind of groups (if you show-up on this type of site)....but there are a few here that will bash on them (PF) everytime they get brought up.

I've got a friend that ranches in western South Dakota. His ranch has a relatively large amount of cropland for that part of the state. I never realized how much of a positive impact Winter Wheat has on nesting/brood rearing until I started hunting there. I would like to see some cooperation with farmers to get more Winter Wheat planted in areas that are lacking in nesting/brood rearing habitat.
The other thing that has been amazing to me is what the new stripper heads leave behind in regards to bird habitat. we find lots of birds in the taller stubble these heads leave behind.

They can stop trying to recruit me as a member again. I'm sick of the emails, mail, and phone calls. Same with Ducks Unlimited, NRA, and NWTF too. Its like once they have your info, they're like a used car salesman. Just relentless
You are not alone. I once donated to a candidate for office, seems my name was turned over to the national party and I got requests seemingly from every candidate in the nation. I no longer belong to any organization.
Sorry if that offends anyone.

You are not alone. I once donated to a candidate for office, seems my name was turned over to the national party and I got requests seemingly from every candidate in the nation. I no longer belong to any organization.
Sorry if that offends anyone.
Yep I get it. I find it hard to join any org. I don't think PF or DU do as much as they could, but than it is only $35 for PF. Do I get anything for my $35 other than a magazine that has stories of how great they are doing, no. Will I continue to belong, probably, because I am an optimist that thinks the numbers of members might get some congressman from somewhere to reconsider his vote on CRP. Is that sensible, heck no and my wife will tell me it is a waste of my money. But it is only $35 and I probably give more than that to panhandlers and I really know that is a waste. Don't know what else to do to work towards more habitat.

Back