New Hobby

JMc

Super Moderator
Hey guys; I'm taking up fly fishing this year and need some advice on rods and reels. I have a cheap rig now but want to get a nice rod for mainly trout fishing in NM and CO. Don't want to drop to much coin but willing to listen to your advice...so let me have it.

The rig depends on the type of water you plan on fishing. Small freestone streams in the high mountains are great with a 7-8ft 3-4 wt. But if you are fishing larger freestone rivers or tailwater rivers with bigger fish a 9 ft 5-6 wt would be best.

As far as brands, again it depends on how much you want to spend. Redington and St. Croix are good rods to consider. I would also recommend going to a fly shop or Cabelas and casting several different rods. Rods come in many different actions and different casting styles prefer different actions/brands. Kind of like everyone has a favorite rooster gun, favorite load, favorite dog.

Welcome to a hobby that is like a sickness. I have been guiding fly fishing in MT/WY/UT since the late 80's. There is a never ending learning curve so you never get bored.

Have fun.

For trout fishing a good all-round rod is a graphite 8.5 foot long five weight. Put a 5 weight weight-forward line on it. I like Scientific Anglers lines - very nice handling. Have the shop put the line on the reel WITH BACKING LINE. You'll want 4x, 5x & 6x tippets and 4x, 5x & 6x leaders in 7.5 foot and 9 to 10 foot lengths. A good enough rod and real is Cortland. You can usually buy a Cortland rod & reel combo for a fair price unless the shop is too snooty for such functional equipment. Get breathable chest high waders - cheap ones are fine. I don't recommend waders with built-in boots. Wading boots should not have a felt bottom - they are getting outlawed here and there. Fly fishing is great. Trout are delicious. Nothing quite like a nice cast that settles a dry fly onto the surface and then a trout snarfs it -- FISH ON!

Last edited:
Don't want to drop to much coin but willing to listen to your advice...so let me have it.

A man of your fine taste in shotguns and gun dogs and you don't want to drop much coin on a fly rig-------Come On Man. ;)

I have several St Croix and love them. But I agree with a post earlier.
Take the rod out and try casting it some. In my experience, depending on your level of casting skills. A more expensive rod does not translate into a better cast.
As your skills improve at that time I would consider a high end rod.

I still recall starting a buddy out on FFing years ago. I explained to him, buy a cheap set up.
He did, I believe he spent $30 at a Wal-Mart for the whole thing.....He also caught the nicest Cut Throat with it. You should have seen the L.L. Bean and Orvis types turn green with envy.:D
In FFing high$$$ equipment does not = better success in fishing.
Enjoy the sport

I am going to be fishing with JMc this year and am in need of even more advice than he is, so keep them coming. All advice is appreciated!

A man of your fine taste in shotguns and gun dogs and you don't want to drop much coin on a fly rig-------Come On Man. ;)

:D Still have my dads old Sears Ted Williams pump that he made me pay $100 for 35 years ago, so I figure I started low then, why not now...:p. Trust me, zeagle68 can back me up on how tight my dad is.

:D Still have my dads old Sears Ted Williams pump that he made me pay $100 for 35 years ago, so I figure I started low then, why not now...:p. Trust me, zeagle68 can back me up on how tight my dad is.

Fly fishing is in my future also, just haven't had the time yet, but maybe this year.

JMc

It sounds like you might have aspirations of retirement.

I would recommend a Redington outfit. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Model: Pursuit 480-2 8'0" $159.95

Wait, aren't you in Texas? You should be a bass fisherman.

I would suggest an 18-20ft bass cat with an optimax and about 10 assorted g loomis and lamiglass rods with abu Garcia and diawa reels (all bait casters).:D

Oh man we're almost as crazy about fishing as we are about bird dogs and hunting.:cheers:

Haha...you are right about that and I do have some pretty nice bass rigs but I've never got into bass fishing. Other than upland hunting, I can't think of anything better than walking up a quite stream with my dog and rod. Just seems to be what I'm looking forward to do.

Mmm I would agree. For me it is finding a "hidden" mountain meadow with a beaver dam and small pond in it...good luck finding one of those in Eastern Nebraska LOL.

But in the above case I use a St. Croix Imperial Model I764.4 with an old Daiwa reel that has 100yds of backing.* Not that I have yet to need the backing in a 4 weight. (yes I could go with a lighter rod/line outfit)

*for those who do not know. The term Backing when used in a fly reel is the fishing line that goes behind the fly line. So first goes the backing then the fly line. The weight of the fly line is what you are actually casting. If you get into a bigger fish, you will run out of fly line and into the backing.

I have several St Croix and love them. But I agree with a post earlier.
Take the rod out and try casting it some. In my experience, depending on your level of casting skills. A more expensive rod does not translate into a better cast.
As your skills improve at that time I would consider a high end rod.

I still recall starting a buddy out on FFing years ago. I explained to him, buy a cheap set up.
He did, I believe he spent $30 at a Wal-Mart for the whole thing.....He also caught the nicest Cut Throat with it. You should have seen the L.L. Bean and Orvis types turn green with envy.:D
In FFing high$$$ equipment does not = better success in fishing.
Enjoy the sport

I know nothing about fishing,but know this statement to be true.I grew up with a rich kid,new Dodge truck,new four-wheeler,new gun,more expensive and larger in cal. every year.1K binocs. etc.The guy couldn't put a throphy whitetail,or even a decent one on the ground if his life depended on it. When he'd see a 150-160 whitetail strapped to my $500 two wheel drive ATV,He would visibly bristle,and say something like "You put your Hill's tag on a prairie buck huh"? No son,dropped him right behind the cabin with Grandpa's Model 70.Spotted him with my $100 Nikons.

Temple Fork Outfitters "BVK" is a pretty good mid-priced rod (@$250.00), made outside USA, however I believe most will be in this price range. No need to drop to much on a reel for a trout rod, basically just holds the line. I usually do more palming and rarely put a trout on the real. You will find that you will prefer a certain type of water/size and over time buy equipment for that type.

Excellent point Rusty Trigger. The size of water I fish and the size of fish I normally catch.
The reel only holds line. No need for an expensive real at all.
Also JMC and Zeagle68. If you fish in Texas I am betting they have pretty good pan fish their also. I believe you might call them Bream?
Try a light weight rod low cost reel with some small poppers in a float tube. That is a good time up here. It gets you good practice on Dry Flies also. In the beginning I would always set the hook when I saw the fish take the fly or the popper. (of course my reflexes were better then too) Don't do that. Wait half a second then set the hook.
:cheers:

When I bought the house I'm in, the prior owners left a bunch of stuff which included a Shakespeare Wally World Special Fly Rod and Reel. I beleive it is 7' 4wgt. My uncle lined it up for me and I do go out to the backside of the dam and catch perch. I'm headed to Austin is a few weeks and going to bounce in on Cabela's and go from there.
Thanks for all the advice and information. I know zeagle (another uncle by the way) appreciates it as well. I'm sure we are in for the time of our lives when we go. 3-4 crazy upland hunters trying to fly fish...yes, I'll take pictures!

Jim, since you will be in Austin, I suggest at least stopping in at Sportsmen's Finest, located in west Austin out in Bee Caves. Those guys/gals know their stuff. I find Cabela's doesn't have the informed staff, but if you know what you are looking for, then it is a decent place. If you haven't been to the Cabela's in Austin (Buda), you may be disappointed in the fly fishing department.

Ditto on the view of the Cabelas staff.
Rusty Trigger, now you got me curious...Perch as in White Perch or Yellow Perch.
Just curious what Texas has. I love to eat Yellow Perch, never tried a White one.

JMc and Zegal68. After you take up the sport of Fly Fishing...then you can take up Fly Tying. Which some flies do use feathers off of a pheasant. So you can mention to the spouse how efficient you are in your pursuits.:D

JMc and Zegal68. After you take up the sport of Fly Fishing...then you can take up Fly Tying. Which some flies do use feathers off of a pheasant. So you can mention to the spouse how efficient you are in your pursuits.:D

Do be carefull as after Fly Tying comes Rod Building and other follies- really though its a fun sport all the way from small native Brook Trout on small dry flies to big Bass or Large trout on large flies, its is a blast of a time.:thumbsup:

Back