New habitat Project

Experienced 1 season of growth on the re-planted crp project. Have 66.8 acres planted out of 80 in S E Iowa. The flatter areas fared better than the rolling terrain because it was able to retain more of the what little moisture we received. My seed dealer said I couldn't have picked a worse year to begin a new seeding project with a crystal ball. Met with biologist 2 weeks ago and walked the property. He was very optimistic with what he saw, in light of the extreme draught we experienced. We didn't cover the whole piece, just covered north and south ends due to time constraints. Afterwards, I noticed 2 areas of growth containing a red stalky tree-like shutes(no branches) around 30-50' diameter 12 -18" tall. My thought was willows, but not in area close to water. Red shaft reminds me of dogwood we had in backyard as a kid, without the bush-type formation. Any insight as to possibilty of plant recognition, it's effect, positive or negative, to a habitat project. Any website with pictures containing young growth would be helpful. Have a lot of work ahead burning and mowing to get rid of foxtail and thistle.

Last edited:
Did You check to see if the plant is perennial?
If You had Willows before on the land it likely came back. If Willows weren't present on the acreage before the CRP then probably not Willows.

In crp since.97, replanted last spring. Planted journey ready tallgrass prairie, pollinater mix, switchgrass.,firebreak mix and sorghum food plots. No willows on place prior to re-seeding. Biologist hasen't seen it, by description is thinking red osier dogwood. If so, good for birds.

Birddog, Sounds like good stuff you've got going.:thumbsup:

A work in progress. Seen a few pheasant last Ocktober, my partner saw and missed 2 roosters, practicing conservation. Kicked up 8 hens end of November, and never really pushed it hard since, leave well enough alone. Also kicked up large covey of quail, at least 20, some small birds indicating late hatch. Did shoot at large yote broadside 10 yards with 20 gauge but didn't stop it, hopefully to die off later. Talked to our township road crewman, always tells me only place he consistantly sees birds is on our stretch of road. 3 of us have 80's in crp ,all contingent. The 2 west of me expire in '14, and I know at least one most recently sold on west will fall to the plow. Mine will remain as long as I own it. Had thought about the P F Legacy program, but, lack of cooperation from the local chapter made me reconsider.

Back