New Gun

SDJIM

New gun today, I finally broke down and got the 20/28 ga two barrel set O/U.
Its Franchi Veloce Squire with really pretty wood--can't wait to take to the skeet range.:cheers:

SWEET!!!!!!!!!! Congrats

I have a multi barrel set myself. They are a real dandy to have.

Keep us posted on how she shoots

Any pics?

TBD not sure yet, she keeps saying something about a new Toyota Avalon. Yes she spoils me badly,darn

you should tell her she gets you. :rolleyes: NO it didn't work all that way for me. :p Nice gun, happy hunting.:)

New gun today, I finally broke down and got the 20/28 ga two barrel set O/U.
Its Franchi Veloce Squire with really pretty wood--can't wait to take to the skeet range.:cheers:

I think you will love that one !!!! I have the same in a Beretta 686 . Dream to shoot!!! If you have time , put up a couple pic's for us to drool over!!!:thumbsup:

Congrats on the new gun.

Well took it to the skeet range today --had very mixed results
Shot a round using the 28 ga barrels got 19 birds--pretty good for me
Shot using the 20 ga barrels and had a malfunction on the 4th shot on the bottom barrel,had firing pin imprints on primer but very shallow--tried 4 times no luck so I finshed the round with a borrowed 20 ga
Shot another round with the 28 ga barrels with no problem,then put the 20 ga back on and the bottom barrel fired just fine, not very encouraging anyone have any ideas as to what is going on here.:confused:

Kinda a bummer

x

Just guessing that th 20 ga. barrels mount slightly "different".
You may want to contact where you bought it from.

I have had similar experiences with cheap trap loads, did you try various shells the first time? or the same shell over and over? A shell which refuses to fire the firat time in my experience will not fire in that gun barrel ever! Some guns are pickier with ammo. Other thought is you might not have had the barrels precisely fitted the first time, new guns need some breakin to work at the most efficient. Should a hang fire ever happen..... no, but in todays mass production and indifference to quality control a bad shell or two can find it's way to market, and so can a shotgun not fitted properly at the factory. Franchi's have been very well fitted over the years, even if a bit fragile in the durability department, due to the early alloy frames which save a ton of weight, and surely make it enjoyable to handle and carry. Try some different ammo first.

There have been some hard primers and some shells with flat primers instead of domed primers. The flat primers have been a problem.

What kind of ammo were you shooting?

I'm guessing it was a poor shell issue. Did it do it with several shells or just one particular shell. They are one the cheapest shells on the market.

i do like to pride myself on my O/U's will fire anything you put in the pipe but there is such a thing as ammo that just won't go off. It most likely won't ever happen again. if it does, send in for service.

Did it with several shells but again later fired one just fine--will try several other brands of shells and see. Thanks for the input
I stopped at the gun shop where I got it and they will stand behind it 100%,ya gotta support the locals

That is the good thing most of the time about dealing with a local shop. They will do all they can to help resolve a problem. Unlike the big box store where your just a number.

I don't know, you all think it's a shell problem. Maybe you all are right. One question did you clean the gun before you shot it? If not the firing pin may have been fouled up. old and knew brought a great point up about break in, for shot guns.

they come from the factory loaded with crap to keep them from rusting........................................

New Gun OK

That is the good thing most of the time about dealing with a local shop. They will do all they can to help resolve a problem. Unlike the big box store where your just a number.

I took the gun back to the gun store at 9 am and they said they would have their gun smith look it over by Fri.
Just got a call from the gumsmith himself and there is nothing worng with the gun, he fired 10 rounds of seveal different brands with no misfires, his thinks it was the cheap ammo. The firing pin protrusion is normal, so I'm happy again.

Once again try to buy local instead of the big box stores, they care about you as a customer.:cheers:

I took the gun back to the gun store at 9 am and they said they would have their gun smith look it over by Fri.
Just got a call from the gumsmith himself and there is nothing worng with the gun, he fired 10 rounds of seveal different brands with no misfires, his thinks it was the cheap ammo. The firing pin protrusion is normal, so I'm happy again.

Once again try to buy local instead of the big box stores, they care about you as a customer.:cheers:
SWEET..now go shoot it and have fun with it. I'm going to take my 20/28/410 out this weekend myself

Pictures

20-28incase.jpg

20-28garight.jpg

20-28galeft.jpg

20-28gabottom.jpg

Franchi20-28ga.jpg

I have admired that model for some time. Nice touches like the pierced top lever, jeweling finishes, etc. makes it comparable to many fine guns which are priced many thousands more, and weigh a lot more. Glad it was faulty ammo, but is sure is depressing that we now have to worry about ammo integrity from Remington, along with the well documented firearms quality control. Take a 200 year old reputation of quality and innovation, flush it down the tubes in 20 years. You have to wonder what the management and ownership are thinking!!!

Back