New Gloves!!!

Well went to the Dollar General and bought a 2 pack of gloves for $3. One pair has rubber teets the other doesn't and they are thin. Well I hunted with them this weekend and I actually really liked them. No problem finding the safety, pulling the trigger or loading. Had my wife pick up another pack in case I loose them, which is generally why I never wear gloves. They are a winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sam's Club has a deal on my favorites again. Nice flexible cabretta leather in a pretty comfortable but tough glove. I wear these till the temps hit the teens. A bit over $8 per pair right now in a pack of two. Hunting, yard work..whatever. They hold up well.

0078504212803_A
love these-have several pairs in their "designated" places.

Late post. I loved the glove stories. I'll admit to being a glove nut and probably have 10 pairs in my kit box. I almost always wear gloves, usually just thin soft leather types unless it's below 30. Then maybe thin leather on my shooting hand and a warmer one on my left hand. I'm always browsing the stores for the newest "perfect gloves". I even found some cool "orange" gloves, I think they are made by Husqvarna. I learned a new lesson this season. I have 100gm and 150gm Thinsulate insulated WP sets from Gander that have a techno-trigger finger. That works fine on the trigger but the thumb doesn't work the tang safety on my Win 101 very well. That cost me a bird this season. The next day it waseven colder so I switched to my Maxus with trigger guard safety.

Even when the weather is warm enough to not need gloves, I like them for protection from sand burs I'm plucking out of dog feet, sharp rooster spurs, etc.

Tom

Update on the Wells Lamont work gloves at the beginning of this thread: They are fantastic!!
I also bought a pair of Sitka Pantanal cold-weather gloves to replace my worn out Manzellas. I've only had to wear them on one short hunt & haven't pulled the trigger in them yet. But they feel good & should be decent for dexterity/shooting. I can at least feel the safety through the leather-tipped trigger finger. That said, the day I tried them, we had -30 windchill & a few fingertips still got painfully cold. I don't think there's a glove on the market that'll keep fingertips warm & allow you to shoot a shotgun in that type of weather. Please prove me wrong if you can.

That said, the day I tried them, we had -30 windchill & a few fingertips still got painfully cold. I don't think there's a glove on the market that'll keep fingertips warm & allow you to shoot a shotgun in that type of weather. Please prove me wrong if you can.
I've never hunted when the wind chill is that cold. I've hunted when the air temps were at or near zero degrees with minimal or no wind. These are the gloves that I use. My fingers do not get cold. I hunted twice in December when the air temp was between 0 and 5 degrees without issue.

I put a thin pair of those stretch gloves on first and then the Cabela's Trigger-finger gloves with Windstopper on over top. The specialized trigger finger on each hand is especially beneficial. The leather palm helps for grip too. I bought them about 10 years ago. I am not sure if they are still sold there.

There is another thread that talked about adding hand warmers near your wrists to heat up the blood that is being pumped to your hands and fingers. I've never tried that but several other posters indicated that it is effective.

Attachments

• cheap gloves.jpg
    cheap gloves.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1
  • hunting gloves.jpg
    hunting gloves.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1
I used to wear the wool fingerless with a mitten fip-top. You have to really pay attension as if bird flushs you better have you fingers started opening the mitten. I once got caught with a surprise rooster flush, no time to get the fingers out of the mitten top, I got the saftey off, pulled up and pressed through the mitten enough to get the trigger pulled...got the rooster. Never had to try that again.
I like the thinsulate lined dress gloves from menards there made out of sheep skin so they are really supple but the longevity isn’t there but I usually look for them at the end of winter and most the time they are marked down to about 6$ at one time I had a good pair of kangaroo leather lined shooting gloves that lasted many many years you can’t find them anymore

There is another thread that talked about adding hand warmers near your wrists to heat up the blood that is being pumped to your hands and fingers. I've never tried that but several other posters indicated that it is effective.
I tried that this past weekend, I didn't seem to notice a difference. The next day I put one on my wrist and in my palm, it made a difference - but it also wasn't as cold... so who knows. Tried a new setup: hand warmer on my wrist and palm, used athletic pre-wrap to hold it in place. Put on a rubber glove. Put on some mid-weight gloves that provided good mobility and dexterity. Seemed to work for my fingers that always go numb, but I have certainly hunted colder weather.

I tried that this past weekend, I didn't seem to notice a difference. The next day I put one on my wrist and in my palm, it made a difference - but it also wasn't as cold... so who knows. Tried a new setup: hand warmer on my wrist and palm, used athletic pre-wrap to hold it in place. Put on a rubber glove. Put on some mid-weight gloves that provided good mobility and dexterity. Seemed to work for my fingers that always go numb, but I have certainly hunted colder weather.
Put the hand warmers on the BACK of your hand not your palm..blood vessels there!

Update on the Wells Lamont work gloves at the beginning of this thread: They are fantastic!!
I also bought a pair of Sitka Pantanal cold-weather gloves to replace my worn out Manzellas. I've only had to wear them on one short hunt & haven't pulled the trigger in them yet. But they feel good & should be decent for dexterity/shooting. I can at least feel the safety through the leather-tipped trigger finger. That said, the day I tried them, we had -30 windchill & a few fingertips still got painfully cold. I don't think there's a glove on the market that'll keep fingertips warm & allow you to shoot a shotgun in that type of weather. Please prove me wrong if you can.

I recently bought a pair of battery- powered glove liners - need to be worn with something over them. I opted for a pair of mittens that open in the middle. Have yet to try them out but I suspect the mitten will be a bit cumbersome and awkward. Getting the stock to the shoulder in cold weather is hard enough, without adding a bit of fumbling with gloves et al!

Jon

Last edited:
Brent, what's the backstory of when you got the air let out of your tires???
Hunting a really big public area. There was another guy on it. We only had like 20 minutes of daylight left, & we weren't anywhere near each other. I got a couple pheasants. Never heard any shooting from him. Got back to my truck & he'd let the air out my tire.

Hunting a really big public area. There was another guy on it. We only had like 20 minutes of daylight left, & we weren't anywhere near each other. I got a couple pheasants. Never heard any shooting from him. Got back to my truck & he'd let the air out my tire.
No stem removal? I carry a 12v cordless compressor so Ill take a flat tire in exchange for 2 birds allllll day long!

No stem removal? I carry a 12v cordless compressor so Ill take a flat tire in exchange for 2 birds allllll day long!
No stem removal. I started the truck & the low pressure alarm started beeping at me. Got out to look & he'd left the cap in the gravel right by the tire. Not completely flat. Just down to like 15 psi or something like that.

What a dick move, mess with my rig like that better prepare to get your ass kicked into eternity

I kinda have this rule of thumb that I don’t mess with guys when there actively holding guns!

I officially give everyone permission to laugh at me as you will anyway. I've found in extreme conditions I have trouble feeling my trigger finger as its been froze too many times. Several years ago, at the advice of an old timer I met in the cattails, I started using "wool" chopper mitten liners with hand warmers on top of my hand. Not the leather chopper, just the liner. I can easily feel my safety and reach the trigger in the mitten and hands stay warm well below zero. I had my wife sew a fleece backing on the TOP of the liner as strong winds will blow through the wool. It also helped keep them dry if in a wet snow storm but it often isn't a wet snow when the temps are real cold.

I officially give everyone permission to laugh at me as you will anyway. I've found in extreme conditions I have trouble feeling my trigger finger as its been froze too many times. Several years ago, at the advice of an old timer I met in the cattails, I started using "wool" chopper mitten liners with hand warmers on top of my hand. Not the leather chopper, just the liner. I can easily feel my safety and reach the trigger in the mitten and hands stay warm well below zero. I had my wife sew a fleece backing on the TOP of the liner as strong winds will blow through the wool. It also helped keep them dry if in a wet snow storm but it often isn't a wet snow when the temps are real cold.
P&L:

I have a similar arrangement: Battery powered glove liners with the mittens over the liners. The mittens have a slot for hand warmers, so I include those as well.

I like the idea of wool on top...

Had surgery on my left ndex finger - new joint and it's really sensitive to cold; fortunately I can bury this hand under the gun. Long story and too boring here.

Back