New Gloves!!!

A5 Sweet 16

So my old "light" gloves have had it. They've been fantastic. I've had them for maybe 5 years, & they've been great down to about 30 degrees (depending on wind & sun conditions). They're Hot Shot brand & were fairly inexpensive at Scheels.

20211206_184120.jpg

20211206_184143.jpg

But as is usually the case with gloves and boots, finding a similar replacement can be a major headache & about as fun as a toothache. Apparently nobody makes a "hunting" glove these days similar to my old ones.

But on a hunch, I went to check Runnings!!! What a fabulous glove selection!!! My guess is similar home/farm/outdoors stores might be equally well-stocked.
I already know I'm going to love these. $20

20211206_184211.jpg

And....a 60g Thinsulate version! $15 (Who am I to argue?)

20211206_184308.jpg

I smiled when I saw the header to your post. One of the constants in my hunting experience is the sensation of wealth and well-being on those occasions when I go to the dairy supply store in town and pick out a new pair of unlined deerskin goves.

Not sure why, but they always make me feel luxurious. It might go back to last century, when as a young man with his first decent-paying job, I walked into Marshall Field's downtown store and bought "expensive" leather gloves with wool liners. I'll tell you, man, I was stepping on up!

Wear your new gloves in safety and happiness. Everyone will notice them and think highly of you. Probably.

Be safe.

I smiled when I saw the header to your post. One of the constants in my hunting experience is the sensation of wealth and well-being on those occasions when I go to the dairy supply store in town and pick out a new pair of unlined deerskin goves.

Not sure why, but they always make me feel luxurious. It might go back to last century, when as a young man with his first decent-paying job, I walked into Marshall Field's downtown store and bought "expensive" leather gloves with wool liners. I'll tell you, man, I was stepping on up!

Wear your new gloves in safety and happiness. Everyone will notice them and think highly of you. Probably.

Be safe.
Thanks! Isn't it a fantastic feeling?! My wife didn't quite understand my excitement, after I'd rushed home last night to show them off, tell the story, model them. But I knew if I showed them off here, people would get it, & some may even be suitably impressed.
What remains to be seen though, is how many years from now I'll finally decide to dispose of the old ones. :unsure:

Thanks! Isn't it a fantastic feeling?! My wife didn't quite understand my excitement, after I'd rushed home last night to show them off, tell the story, model them. But I knew if I showed them off here, people would get it, & some may even be suitably impressed.
What remains to be seen though, is how many years from now I'll finally decide to dispose of the old ones. :unsure:
Never throw the old ones away! Some days you just need to slip them on where your shooting eye is a little off.

Sam's Club has a deal on my favorites again. Nice flexible cabretta leather in a pretty comfortable but tough glove. I wear these till the temps hit the teens. A bit over $8 per pair right now in a pack of two. Hunting, yard work..whatever. They hold up well.

0078504212803_A

Sam's Club has a deal on my favorites again. Nice flexible cabretta leather in a pretty comfortable but tough glove. I wear these till the temps hit the teens. A bit over $8 per pair right now in a pack of two. Hunting, yard work..whatever. They hold up well.

0078504212803_A
I've been using these for a couple of years for hunting and farm work and they are really good quality - not too thick or warm.

I have a hard time keeping my digits warm. I don't care for wearing gloves. Last week I purchase a different pair. Not sure about them yet. Seirus Xtreme All Weather

1426-Original-Xtreme-Glove-Blk0_hires.png

Last edited:
I very seldom wear gloves.
I prefer not to wear any either because I like the feel of the shotgun in my bare hands.

That being said, there are some conditions where I simply have to. Once it drops below about 35 degrees or so, I put a thin pair on. Once it drops down to about 15 degrees or lower, then I put my thicker Cabela's brand hunting gloves on (they have a specialized trigger finger on each hand). If its below zero, I use both.

I've hunted with people who NEVER used gloves of any kind. We were heading out to hunt in about 8 degree temps and he didn't put any on. He said he never wears gloves, ever. 😮

The most important factor IMO is that you can operate the gun as effectively as you would be able to without wearing gloves. If you can't do the same functions wearing gloves, get new gloves.

I rarely wear gloves either. And when I do I wear fingerless gloves from first lite. Idk how guys can wear leather gloves or "work" style gloves and handle a shotgun well. Somehow you do it because I see your bird pictures but man, I couldn't do it haha

I rarely wear gloves either. And when I do I wear fingerless gloves from first lite. Idk how guys can wear leather gloves or "work" style gloves and handle a shotgun well. Somehow you do it because I see your bird pictures but man, I couldn't do it haha
If you get gloves that fit like a glove, it's easy. The problems arise when your gloves fit like something different.

Back in the 80s, my Lab brought me a live bird that was a young man's very first bird.

Father and son had been looking for it for quite a while as they intended to mount it as his trophy. I happened by, heard the tale and sent my Lab in where they thought it fell. Annie did her job and brought me the bird after 5 minutes of tracking all over the field, finally pinning it in the fencerow. It was wounded but very much alive and I gently took it from her to dispatch it without damaging it. It twisted around and spurred the ball of my left thumb leaving a deep cut about 3/4" long; he got me pretty close to the bone. Probably should have had a stitch or three but I wrapped it in duct tape and pressed on. Been wearing leather gloves ever since, lol.

Now I'm older, my skin is thinner and briars and such can tear my hands up. So it still works for me. Doesn't seem to have bothered my shooting any but the cabrettas are thin and flexible.

Striker Ice and Mountain Made are excellent gloves for hunting in cold weather. Important for a ND hunt in December to keep digits warm.

In the early 2000s when I was shooting a lot, we would shoot trap during the winter because there wasn't a lot of sporting clays going on. We tried a lot of gloves. FootJoy winter golf gloves turned out to be our winner. They're not good for real cold weather. Below 20. I even wear them duck hunting. They're not waterproof but I've learned to adjust. I have several pairs. For shooting, they do need to fit like a glove.

I used to wear the wool fingerless with a mitten fip-top. You have to really pay attension as if bird flushs you better have you fingers started opening the mitten. I once got caught with a surprise rooster flush, no time to get the fingers out of the mitten top, I got the saftey off, pulled up and pressed through the mitten enough to get the trigger pulled...got the rooster. Never had to try that again.

Back