New CRP

Just heard that Farm Bureau is asking for CRP to be released to avoid a food shortage. Might want to talk to your elected officials.

Just heard that Farm Bureau is asking for CRP to be released to avoid a food shortage. Might want to talk to your elected officials.

Just rename it the Cash Retrieval Program (CRP). It's no different than declaring these phantom droughts so they can sell the hay.

Phantom droughts? You need to get out more. If they allow farming (row-crop), that will be an issue, who is going to be responsible for reseeding? It will cost $100 to $200 just for the seed. Those acres might not get back into CRP if the corn prices remain high, guessing you can still "buy-out" of the program. Seems like a a bad idea....let the farmers make some money and let the CRP be! I am confident the farmers can grow enough corn without the CRP acres.

I think spring wheat is the one they want most.

Remember why it is called a “Reserve” program, not a “Rooster” program.

Yep, Ukraine will put more pressure on things...how is the South American corn crop doing...more pressure. If CRP is allowed to be taken out without penalty, I am afraid it won't get put back in until this mess gets back to a "normal"...it could take a season or 2, but it might be a decade. There isn't a ton of CRP in my immediate, but if we lose it, that will be a large pecentage of the local birds.

How about we stop using ethanol... Use corn for what it was intended to be food..

Last edited:
I remove that controversial word for you...

Phantom droughts? You need to get out more. If they allow farming (row-crop), that will be an issue, who is going to be responsible for reseeding? It will cost $100 to $200 just for the seed. Those acres might not get back into CRP if the corn prices remain high, guessing you can still "buy-out" of the program. Seems like a a bad idea....let the farmers make some money and let the CRP be! I am confident the farmers can grow enough corn without the CRP acres.
I'm out there and live in it and everyone freaks out when July and August is hot and dry in KS. I'll agree the grass will brown up but a true drought where all the sub surface moisture is gone is not what is happening. The crops these days are so drought resistant that a hard summer is not a death sentence. And for the hay, there is hay piles sitting all over the country so I don't feel there is a roughage shortage. A wet spring that causes late planting is far more serious than a hot summer for crop health.

Last edited:
need that corn for ethanol, no one can afford $60k for an electric piece of garbage.
just wait for electric tractors, probably $750K for a nice one.

Currently, there are 22 million acres enrolled in CRP, and for the 2022 fiscal year, a statutory cap of 25.5 million acres is in place. As a result, there is the potential to provide farmers with access to millions of acres of cropland and pasture that would have otherwise remained idle in order to address both inflation and food security concerns.

“This should be a top priority,” Boozman writes. Notably, the European Union is considering a similar approach of allowing farmers to use fallow land to grow crops, counter supply disruptions, enhance food security, and reduce inflationary pressures following the invasion of Ukraine.

One article I read references “prime farmland” of about 4.7 million acres that is being targeted for crops; it’s part of the 15 million acres under the general crp sign up

I wonder if they consider that these tractors run on fuel we already have a shortage of, these crops grow on fertilizer that is already sky high and short supply, and they need chemical that the farmers may or may not be able to get this year due to supply issues??🤔🤔

But yeah, throw more acres at it. Hahaha

I wonder if they consider that these tractors run on fuel we already have a shortage of, these crops grow on fertilizer that is already sky high and short supply, and they need chemical that the farmers may or may not be able to get this year due to supply issues??🤔🤔

But yeah, throw more acres at it. Hahaha
If there is indeed a shortage of foodstuffs, which I admit no one can see the future, what would be your recommendation?

You want to see the SHTF watch what happens if we have a famine in Europe. Seems folks can stomach third world countries being hungry, I’m not so sure the reaction would be the same with starving white folks.

Hopefully we won’t find out.

Back