New A5 first day at the range

PTM

Enjoying some mild winter weather I decided to go try a few new guns out including the new A5, a 1962 Stevens 311a, and the Winchester model 24 all in 16 gauge. First up was the Stevens I shot it marginally well but decided it needs a pad to increase lop. Next up was the Winchester model 24, I'd read all the negativity about this gun akin to a 2x4 but went on a streak with this gun, bad mount, bad stance, not focusing on the bird didn't seem to matter, I couldn't miss I remember thinking maybe they did build things better back then, this thing is awesome. Finally it was time to shoot my A5, one of two guns of many that has killer looking wood, I launched the bird and the target exploded but something did not feel right, In horror I saw that the stock was cracked from one side of the receiver to the next. I did the only thing I could, I got the 24 out and shot some more clays. The A5 was 99,999 short of its guarantee, we'll see what Browning says or does, Scheels prepared it to send it back tommorow. The shell was a one ounce rgl, maybe they did make things better in 1950. It's a bummer but at least I wasn't injured. That was a damn fine looking stock, my guess is that there was a existing crack as it followed a grain line pretty uniformly. What a buzzkill.

Wow sorry to hear about the A5 and yes glad you were not hurt. I saw you had a Winnie 24 and was going to ask you how you liked it.....your report has answered that question. I know they are the blue collar sxs for Winchester, but I thought it would be a good shooter, or at least it fits you well. Keep us posted on your adventures with the A5.

Enjoying some mild winter weather I decided to go try a few new guns out including the new A5, a 1962 Stevens 311a, and the Winchester model 24 all in 16 gauge. First up was the Stevens I shot it marginally well but decided it needs a pad to increase lop. Next up was the Winchester model 24, I'd read all the negativity about this gun akin to a 2x4 but went on a streak with this gun, bad mount, bad stance, not focusing on the bird didn't seem to matter, I couldn't miss I remember thinking maybe they did build things better back then, this thing is awesome. Finally it was time to shoot my A5, one of two guns of many that has killer looking wood, I launched the bird and the target exploded but something did not feel right, In horror I saw that the stock was cracked from one side of the receiver to the next. I did the only thing I could, I got the 24 out and shot some more clays. The A5 was 99,999 short of its guarantee, we'll see what Browning says or does, Scheels prepared it to send it back tommorow. The shell was a one ounce rgl, maybe they did make things better in 1950. It's a bummer but at least I wasn't injured. That was a damn fine looking stock, my guess is that there was a existing crack as it followed a grain line pretty uniformly. What a buzzkill.

Pat:

Sorry to hear about the stock issue - wonder if the stock bolt was loose.

In my previous messages I wrote about the difficulty I'm having with the installed rear grip coming loose. Must be a lot of inner power to the rear of the receiver with this gun.

I think I would have duct taped the stock and continued...just kidding here.

Stock Bolt

Jon,

It loosened the non bolt side of the receiver as well, the part that cracked was the top of the stock above and behind the massive wrist. Hopefully Browning can provide an explanation, some Kid at Scheels probably took it apart beyond what the book says, complete speculation of course, I sent the spent RGL to Browning as well but I doubt it will provide evidence of anything. 100,000 shots come hell or high water is what the ad says.

Patrivk

Jon,

It loosened the non bolt side of the receiver as well, the part that cracked was the top of the stock above and behind the massive wrist. Hopefully Browning can provide an explanation, some Kid at Scheels probably took it apart beyond what the book says, complete speculation of course, I sent the spent RGL to Browning as well but I doubt it will provide evidence of anything. 100,000 shots come hell or high water is what the ad says.

Patrivk

"Massive wrist" ? Not sure what/where you are referring.

Product defects happen, it's just unfortunate that it had to happen to you. Could very well have been a weak spot in the wood that was not detected during the manufacturing process. Cracked stocks in shotguns are not that uncommon. I'm quite sure Browning will resolve the issue as they certainly wouldn't want any bad PR on their newest shotgun. Question is will they be able to match the wood on your Sweet? Keep us updated.

A5

For sure George, and to be fair Scheels offered me my money back and I asked for a new gun or replacement stock, I think it's going to be/is an awesome little gun, especially in the early season when birds are close, You have to at least give Browning props for putting out the A5 and Citori in sixteen, there are other modern options but it will cost you a lot more money. Well hopefully it will get back in the next few months.

"Massive wrist" ? Not sure what/where you are referring.

The "non-bolt" side of the receiver...would assume this is the front. A loose mag. cap could cause the receiver/barrel area to be loose.

Did you clean this gun before shooting?

Yes, the slide assembly, the chamber area, the inside and outside of the barrel and I lightly oiled the rails. The book said not to break down the assembly and I did not remove the trigger group. The barrel was tightened down as according to the book, the shell ejected and loaded another round. I did not feel any excessive recoil, I did break the clay target on my stock breaking shot. I'm talking about the receiver on the non ejection port side close to the radius of the huge pistol grip stock, there appeared to be a pin in this area. The wrist is what I'm calling the area behind the radius, the break happened below the upper tang area on the top of the stock. I'm looking forward to what Browning says caused it, I'm almost sure it was a pre existing crack in the stock.

Yes, the slide assembly, the chamber area, the inside and outside of the barrel and I lightly oiled the rails. The book said not to break down the assembly and I did not remove the trigger group. The barrel was tightened down as according to the book, the shell ejected and loaded another round. I did not feel any excessive recoil, I did break the clay target on my stock breaking shot. I'm talking about the receiver on the non ejection port side close to the radius of the huge pistol grip stock, there appeared to be a pin in this area. The wrist is what I'm calling the area behind the radius, the break happened below the upper tang area on the top of the stock. I'm looking forward to what Browning says caused it, I'm almost sure it was a pre existing crack in the stock.

Good luck with the new gun. If the dealer would give your money back, why not order a new gun and let the dealer work with Browning...at least you would have a gun to shoot. Just a thought.

You were saying it had nicely figured wood. sometimes highly figured wood, is weak wood, This may have been the case.

OK, as the proud owner of a pristine and great shooting '67 Sweet Sixteen along with a Citori Feather 16, I've been keeping an eye on this blog for some time. At the Amarillo gun show, I finally got to fondle a 'new' A5 Sixteen and was disappointed. Not sure what I was expecting but just did not like it. Nothing against those of you who have one but I'll believe I'll pass. If you are looking for one, Damron's Pawn and Gun as one...$1599.00.

OK, as the proud owner of a pristine and great shooting '67 Sweet Sixteen along with a Citori Feather 16, I've been keeping an eye on this blog for some time. At the Amarillo gun show, I finally got to fondle a 'new' A5 Sixteen and was disappointed. Not sure what I was expecting but just did not like it. Nothing against those of you who have one but I'll believe I'll pass. If you are looking for one, Damron's Pawn and Gun as one...$1599.00.

Wondering what's not to like? Much lighter gun than the A5. Did you have a chance to shoot?

Tell us more...

Thanks

Purely feel...it could be the best shooter in the world but if I pull it off the shelf and I'm not comfortable with it, it goes back on the shelf. I won't carry a gun that doesn't feel good in my hands.

Now, what you don't know about me...I am not gun poor so I'm pretty picky. That really sums it up...I'm sure it's a great gun and yes it's light, although no lighter than the Citori Feather 16 or my Feather Cynergy 20 but I believe if I went with a light auto, I would go with the Montfeltro 20 over the A5...I know; blasphemy.

Purely feel...it could be the best shooter in the world but if I pull it off the shelf and I'm not comfortable with it, it goes back on the shelf. I won't carry a gun that doesn't feel good in my hands.

I know what you mean Jim, I have picked up newer guns with wood stocks and they just feel cheap and poorly made. I have not handled the new sweet 16 A5 and my comment do not pertain to this gun, but I can understand. I'm with you I won't carry a gun that doesn't feel good in my hands and if I shoot one that feels great then I'm not happy till I have one in my gun cabinet!

Those older Sweets are tough to beat. I love my 1960 Sweet. While I'd like a new A5 Sweet it would have to be one heck of a gun to replace my '60 model.

Finally got to heft a new S16 at Pheasant Fest Sunday. Really nice, but the experience pretty much got them out of my head. Just not all that supertastic, especially compared to my old S16, which I love beyond belief. The unfortunate thing is that now I'm researching 16 ga. O/U's. So far, the front runners are FAIR & Fausti. (Not interested in a White Lightning.) Going to be 50 in a couple years & feel a midlife crisis shotgun coming on.

O/U

Just went down that road. The Fair is 2800 to 3000 and the entry level Fausti is going to get you for 2500. There are so manny guys that dig the White Lightning that I reversed course and ordered one from Reeds, If I don't like it there is always a ton of guys looking for them, I was going to leave it nib for my son but I may need to test it out for him. On the A5 the only choice you have is the old one or new one in semis unless your going to consider the Remington line up sportsman, 1100, etc. Back to the Fausti, the Class SLX is one beautiful gun. The Rizzini Autumn is another beauty but comes with fixed chokes. I have a Marlin 90 in 16 en route, that one has a closet following. The 16 o/u world is pretty limited I just want one of each. :D

Back to the Fausti, the Class SLX is one beautiful gun.

Yes. Yes it is. I'm thinking the Class LX is ALMOST equally gorgeous, but a little less painful on the checking account. Of course, whether I spend $1,500 or $15,000, the tough part is going to be finding the right lamp shade to hide it under when bringing it into the house.

so, I gather you returned the Sweet Sixteen and ordered a White Lightening?

Back