Nephew

Goosemaster

My nephew only hunts 5 days per year in December. It's tough going in December on the north Canadian. I may have to take him to one of those game farms.He has been skunked 3 years in a row.

He gets several good opportunities per year.He is a short guy, but he has a bit of an attitude when I try to help him. So basically I just turn him loose out there on his own. He doesn't know how to read my dog, so that's a negative. My cousin rarely shoots a rooster, but good at getting permission.

Maybe he needs to hunt with a pointer. I don't think I've ever been skunked on a 3 day hunt.I started out shooting my dad when I was 14.

I’ll bet dad was a fast hunter and he wore camo too. Probably was slower when you were 15 with all that extra lead.
He was a guy who didn't have good dogs, and lived a very cushy life.In his younger years, he was a solid hunter,although never great. He liked expensive scotch, and expensive clothes. He shot a beater shotgun, but had several nice guns in his closet. He drove expensive vehicles, but very rarely paid to hunt.

Please clarify…. You started out shooting your dad or shooting with your dad?
Sorry. I started to shoot more birds than he, when I was 15.From then on, I put a butt whipping on my dad and friends. I was more fixated on hunting than they were.

I know this sounds New Agey, but tell him to believe he's going to hit the bird. I have been out twice this year and have snapped off shots without really seeing the bird and doing what I need to do. I grew up hunting ruffed grouse and shooting really quick is a habit that's hard to break.
The other thing is to find a morning and throw a couple dozen clays. Let him see them break; have someone watch him. He'll be way more likely to hit something "by accident" if he's had practice doing things on purpose. Good luck.

I grew up hunting ruffed grouse and shooting really quick
I hunt pheasants most of the time in the upland realm, but once a year I hunt grouse in the northwoods. The number of grouse I've placed in my bag I can count on two hands. If you're regularly harvesting ruffed grouse, that is something to brag about. The difficulty compared to a rooster is not even close.

I know this sounds New Agey, but tell him to believe he's going to hit the bird. I have been out twice this year and have snapped off shots without really seeing the bird and doing what I need to do. I grew up hunting ruffed grouse and shooting really quick is a habit that's hard to break.
The other thing is to find a morning and throw a couple dozen clays. Let him see them break; have someone watch him. He'll be way more likely to hit something "by accident" if he's had practice doing things on purpose. Good luck.
I just hope he can drop 1 bird. Just one will be a huge victory for him. I think he is shooting behind.

I hunt pheasants most of the time in the upland realm, but once a year I hunt grouse in the northwoods. The number of grouse I've placed in my bag I can count on two hands. If you're regularly harvesting ruffed grouse, that is something to brag about. The difficulty compared to a rooster is not even close.
Yes, I have been ruff grouse hunting once.Had a blast.We were in the foothills of South west montana.

talked my nephew into come out from Maine to hunt the SD opener. unfortunately, hunting was poor and he got no shots. looks like he's coming out in April for spring turkey.

Opening day central to NE Sd was a hard one, crazy winds. Most public land I hunted was in bad shape and was extremely dry out.

Back