Neoprene Dog Vests

winchester21

Yo- So I'm going to be doing some duck hunting with my GWP lady this year and would like to find a good fitting neoprene vest for her. I bought an Avery (size medium) and it's the right size but it's definitely cut for a retriever so I'd have to modify it considerably for it to work. I'm curious if anyone on here knows of a brand that might fit a pointers body better. Thanks!!!

I bought one from Cabelas for my pointer-bodied Brit that fits fine.

There are two types of vest I have from cabelas the first is this one below it is a standard type easy to cut to fit your dog the plus the flex armour in the front

2944ec694cac0a69.jpg

The Second is this Avery Boater vest I like this one if you have to lift your dog out of the water it is easy to cut all also.

2944ec694cad5676.jpg

I have both for my PudelPointer and Chessie never had any major problems with those are my two picks if you decide to get the Avery I suggest getting from Macks Prairie Wings website you wont have to pay taxes. One other thing if your pup is a boy make sure you cut the tenders area so he can pee freely, hope this helps good luck

I have the Avery boaters vest, i have a local seamstress tailor it to my gsp so it fits right and doesnt rub him too bad as they are made to fit retrievers.

In my opinion these things are a waste of money. What happens with your neoprene waders when they get water in them? You get wet and you stay wet. I feel these vests only trap and hold cold water next to a dogs skin. The only times Ive seen my dog shivering while hunting was when I had a neoprene vest on her. I took it off and problem solved. If the vest could somehow keep all the water off the dog then maybe. But with the way they have to be cut to fit a dog there is no way to keep the water out. Try this, take a pair of chest waders and cut the boots off, then cut a long slit about waist high. Now put them on and go for a chest deep wade. You are going to get soaked and as long as you keep the waders on you will not dry out. I think these vests were made for cold weather, buy dry weather. Anytime they are used in water or rain, it is just a cold wet dog that I see. Again, just my opinion based on my experiences with these vests.

In my opinion these things are a waste of money. What happens with your neoprene waders when they get water in them? You get wet and you stay wet. I feel these vests only trap and hold cold water next to a dogs skin. The only times Ive seen my dog shivering while hunting was when I had a neoprene vest on her. I took it off and problem solved. If the vest could somehow keep all the water off the dog then maybe. But with the way they have to be cut to fit a dog there is no way to keep the water out. Try this, take a pair of chest waders and cut the boots off, then cut a long slit about waist high. Now put them on and go for a chest deep wade. You are going to get soaked and as long as you keep the waders on you will not dry out. I think these vests were made for cold weather, buy dry weather. Anytime they are used in water or rain, it is just a cold wet dog that I see. Again, just my opinion based on my experiences with these vests.

The blaze orange neoprene vest saved one of my dog's life, so I wouldn't say it was a waste of money. But, hell, you coulda put a blaze orange Tutu on that dog and it woulda done the same thing. :)

Either way, I'm grateful I had it on the dog.

When I had my last Lab (God rest her great soul), I gave-up on neo vests when hers abraded her forelegs, no matter how many times I trimmed it. After that, when we were in the duck/goose blind, if she was cold I carried a camo fleece blanket that I'd cover her with; that worked for duck blind applications. Mags wore a Skid-Plate when hunting Upland game. When it's cold & wet now, my pup wears a fleece vest.

I normally don't use a vest on my labs. Only if it is bitter bitter cold. I'm not really sold that they keep a dog that much warmer. I'm sure they help some. I like a dog to be able to shake when it comes out of the water and lick its coat. I think mother nature did a pretty good job insulating the dogs that make a living in the water. Not saying they are a waste of money and not saying I don't use them. I just don't use them unless it's so cold that their coats turn to ice coming out of the water.

I use one all the time when we are waterfowling. Maybe it doesn't make the swim any warmer, but it definitely helps when they are sitting in the blind afterward. On plenty of occasions, I will warm up my hands by sticking them in the neck hole. Trust me, it's warm in there.:thumbsup: If you're waterfowling and can't feel your fingers, give it a try. The dog likes the attention too. :)

Waterfowling tip of the day.:thumbsup:

Works for scuba divers, why wouldn't it work for a dog?

Works for scuba divers, why wouldn't it work for a dog?

best response-

I had a female Britt that had her chest sewed up a couple times- just didn't have much hair- I used the standard neoprene from Cabelas- it fit snug- never knew water to stay between it and her- sometimes she'd be on point for quite a bit in cold weather- sometimes she would swim for a retrieve in cold weather- she'd have ice hanging from her hair-snow didn't pack inside- I'll not say anythig bad about them- she liked it on in cold weather- enough for me

The two main reasons that I use a neoprene vest on my GSP’s when waterfowl hunting, is that my vest has a top-handle strap to help lift or assist the dog back into a boat and the vest also has buoyancy foam sewn into it. I agree that they do not keep the dog dry, but they do help regulate the dog’s body heat.

The idea behind neoprene is to trap a layer of water (hence the name "wetsuit"). Once your body warms the water you stay pretty comfortable. When I was younger and dumber we used to jetski on the missippi river all year long in MN. You were not comfortable but we never became hypothermic:D. That being said I rarely use one except maybe just before sunrise. I like that I have a place to put my hands to keep them warm. And my dogs look a little like Burt Reynolds in deliverence if I put the black side out.

Back