Need help buying new gun

bbasil

I'm thinking about upgrading my Remington 870 express to a nicer 12 gauge o/u. I've been doing some research but am having trouble narrowing down which models to look at. I'd like something lighter but can't afford to spend a fortune. I need to stay under $1500. It will be used for 60% pheasants, 30%grouse, 10% sporting clays. I've been looking at the Franchi SL.

http://www.franchiusa.com/franchi-instinct-sl-shotgun/

I like that it weighs only 5.6 lbs. Franchi also seems to have had some quality issues in the past. They're owned by Benelli and there's a 7 year warranty so maybe that's not such a big deal anymore. Most of the shops around my home don't carry Franchi either. I'm not a real expert so I'm a little nervous about buying something used as I don't know what to look for and I like the warranty of a new gun. Should I be considering a 20 gauge as well?

I bought one last year and I love it. I purchased it in twenty. I would bet a twelve at that weight would beat you up pretty good. The twenty shoots real nice and is like carrying a toothpick all day. Great gun for the money.

The Franchi looks like a nice gun but at 5.6 lbs the recoil of a 12 ga. could be nasty. Especially with heavy field loads. Certainly nothing you would want to spend a day at the trap range with. But it might be okay with some light 1 oz. - 1 1/8 oz. loads in the field. Even a twenty at that weight can have excessive recoil. You might want to try shooting one in each gauge before you buy it.

new gun

I'm in the same boat you are. I looked at the Citori 725 Field and i liked the look and feel. It's about 2K at Buds Gun Shop. The Franchi is really a nice gun, too. It will be a hard decision. The Citori is heavier and will absorb more punches to your shoulder. I've never owned or shot a ou before, so I am in uncharted waters here. My M2 has a raised rib and the Citori is pretty low profile, but I'm not a very good shot anyway so I don't think it will matter much. Let us know what you decide and we'll take it from there.

Winchester 101

All,

I thought I'd throw this model out there, for the last three years I used a 12 guage Winchestere 101, at 7 pounds it was light enough to carry and absorbed recoil fairly well, I upraded to a Beretta this year but have nothing but good things to say about the gun. They come in at around the same price point as the Franchi maybe a little more, made in Belgium now and not Japan.http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=328193729. I did shoulder a Frachi Instinct SL and for as light as it is, I didn't seem overly "whippy". The 101 looks nice with the alloy receiver.

That CZ Upland Ultralight looks interesting. I like the price too. I might have to check that one out as well.

Carried a Franchi SL 20GA this season. It's operation has been fine and a pleasure to carry in the field. I consider it a very good gun for the money. Since in Illinois anymore we carry the gun in the field more than shoot it Weight was important. Made this season very enjoyable for an old man that can barely carry himself around anymore.
Thanks
Bob

I have accumulated a stable of Winchester, Beretta and Browning O/U's that I often use to outfit visiting family/friends for pheasant hunting. After trying them all, the gun that almost everyone prefers is the Citori 725 Field. It is all about what fits you .... but I would strongly encourage you to take a look at the Citori.

if your going to shoot it alot,clays and hunting,i would spend the money for one of the B' GUNS.browning or beretta.just think it'll stand up to 10k -15k
rounds with good service.simpler to fix.everyone should own at least one excellent shot gun

franchi is owned by berreta.you probably know that
i want one of them franchi auto 28 ga.,48 al i think its called.but thats another thread.

Another option that would allow you to look into some of the better made, more popular brands, yet stay within your price range is used guns. Several online gun brokers to choose from and browse thru their listings. below are just a couople.

Gunbroker.com
Gunsamerica.com

Back