MN opener

I'm not liking the forecast for This weekend! 80's and sunny.:mad: Probably going to hit the 1st field and drive around and scout until magic hour. Hoping we get a nice cool down before SD on the 21st. I don't want to start hunting in 80 degree weather. We needed last weeks weather this week and for the rest of the month.

Yeah, pheasant hunting in 80 degree temps is not fun:eek: Good luck out there guys. Be safe and watch those dogs.;)

Nick

I was planning on going sadly this will be the first opener I can remember missing in over 10 yrs. dentist app and the boy has soccer. Everyone be safe and watch your Dogs with the temps a few birds are not worth it. There will be plenty of birds in the weeks to come. GOOD LUCK! :cheers:

I'm seeing a forecast of 69 for Saturday, and much warmer Sunday. We'll poke around Saturday, but I never get too excited until the corn is off.

Saturday is a no go for me this year, maybe Sunday morning before it gets to hot out I will hit a local piece just for the experience. Work is slowing down :thumbsup: next week so I may do a weekday day off hunt if the temps go back down. With MEA I am sure it won't be any quieter but a guy can hope!

Should be pretty warm, anybody else concerned about their dog and the heat? I plan on keeping him very hydrated!

Should be pretty warm, anybody else concerned about their dog and the heat? I plan on keeping him very hydrated!

I am very concerned, concerned enough that I may not go out at all on Sunday. May head out for 30-60 minutes near home just because I am beyond excited for the season. But all it takes is one long "birdy chase" of the dog going 100 mph for a few mins, then I wing the shot, and another chase ensues for the dog to find the wounded bird running like crazy. Dogs won't quit when they are on a chase just because they are tired, so better to be safe than sorry IMO. Saturday I cannot make it out do to a family obligation, but the temps look okay (not great) for the first part of the day Saturday at least.

I plan to hit the field at 9:00 and be done by noon unless I limit prior to that. :D I've got 2 liters of water in my WingWorks vest for the pooch. If it's warmer than I figure I'll take enough water to soak her down before we start the hunt and probably again when we get back to the vehicle.

Couldn't agree more, I had to shorten my two day trip to a day trip because of the temps on Sunday. might make for some tough scenting the warmer it is too. I wont be hesitant to yank him off a chase or mark (which I don't like to do) if it gets to be too much, no bird is worth it, especially with many more weekends to come and my 2nd trip already scheduled the following weekend :thumbsup:

Only hunted about 3 hours. Quit when it got warm. 3 hunters and we got 3 birds. Didn't see very many. Cover is still very lush and thick. We need a good hard freeze to knock some of that down. Lots of corn in the fields although it is starting to come out. And the wind didn't help matters today.

Our hunt was identical to yours Dakota. 3 guys, 3 birds. Thick cover. Wind was brutal. Was great to be out. Looking forward to the fields being a little more quiet. first WMA of the day was the only one you could count on, rather than hitting multiple in a day that haven't been touched, but not like that's never stopped me before ;)

Back