MN grouse hunters...

mutthunt

I was up in SNF west of tofte. First time ever walking for grouse.

I noticed that some old trails/logging roads have pink ribbon or Styrofoam plates placed on the entrance. At first I thought it meant someone was walking it. However I noticed that the same 'markers' were there for a couple days. And there were never any vehicles parked there.

Any insight on this for a rookie grouse hunter?

PS that's some tough hunting! Looking forward to doing it with my new draht next year!

I was up in SNF west of tofte. First time ever walking for grouse.

I noticed that some old trails/logging roads have pink ribbon or Styrofoam plates placed on the entrance. At first I thought it meant someone was walking it. However I noticed that the same 'markers' were there for a couple days. And there were never any vehicles parked there.

Any insight on this for a rookie grouse hunter?

PS that's some tough hunting! Looking forward to doing it with my new draht next year!

Maybe marking a timber sale--or helping some one find their way to a specific location--camp--log landing?

Were there and #'s on plates?

No info. Just a Styrofoam plate stuck on a tree branch. I didn't want to be 'that guy' and walk in on a trail someone else is walking.

I would guess it could be a bear guide who has a bait stand somewhere down the trail. They often mark the trail heads so that clients know where to go as they approach areas in the dark.

david0311

I would guess it could be a bear guide who has a bait stand somewhere down the trail. They often mark the trail heads so that clients know where to go as they approach areas in the dark.

I think you win the prize--that sounds very likely--didn't think of that option:thumbsup:

There was a guide that did something similar on the west side of the state with yellow and white marking tape.

He typically would put a sign a fifty-hundred yards past the road that said bear bait ahead.

All on public and non-posted land no less.

That might be it. Bears weren't really on my mind. Wolves were, especially after we came out of a 3 mile hike and a wolf followed us out, crossed the road and just stared at us. Creeped me out big time.

MN Grouse Limit

Had a good day today. The Cocker is starting to get this figured out. Just love how easily he moves through the brush & cover. Really looking forward to seeing him operate when the cycle starts to peak.

Surprised to see so many "ATV Enthusiasts" chasing Ruff's on a Monday.

ehLPUq.jpg

Had a good day today. The Cocker is starting to get this figured out. Just love how easily he moves through the brush & cover. Really looking forward to seeing him operate when the cycle starts to peak.

ehLPUq.jpg

That's great! I got to make my first trip to Minnesota this year grouse hunting. I loved it. I really hope to return.

outstanding downtown bang!!! cool looking lil dog & limit of ruffed grouse!!!

i went up by canada border last tue-thur saw more atv & road hunters then grouse man i was surprized that far north so much activity???

i managed 3 in 2 days hunting you kicked ass on this hunting trip!!! congrats on a sweet hunt & good lil dog u have there ...

Years ago when the atv trend started I hated Grouse hunters on them. Now I own 3 quads and have for many years. I STILL don't use them to hunt Grouse and still hate seeing people that do. We walk our asses off to reach remote coverts and there' s some fu@#&r on a quad that came in on a closed trail. Closed trails with barriers mean nothing to some of those people.

Last edited:
Jealous of your guys' pictures. Just got word that the breeding took for my DD. Should be here in March! Then more grouse!

I got out today and flushed 10 grouse plus moved a few more. I passed up some that my young EP didn't handle well and missed a gimme shot. Still a nice day for a walk!

ehLPUq.jpg

Nice Work, DB. And good shootin' too.

FBECS are 'da bomb in the grouse woods. We are at the absolute bottom of the cycle over here. It can only go up from here.!! :cheers:

Back