million dollar rooster.

It's just a funsie gimmick to add a little spice in the mix like a $$$ tagged fish - I got no problems with it whatsoever, but most likely nobody's ever gonna bag the thing anyway or they would never make the offer in the first place. I'm with those who hope that if anybody ever does get the million dollar rooster, it is someone who really needs it! Any bozo who would hunt ONLY for that reason ain't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed - but to me it's a kinda cool little long-shot bonus for those who happen to be kicking around in the area anyway (not that I would go buying lottery ticket chances on it or anything)! :p

I wouldn't come to SD just for that, but I sure might if I didn't have to drive past plenty birds much closer to home in CO, NE & KS to get there!!! But hey, if I was in the area anyway & just happened to knock it down - there would be absolutely no complaints whatsoever on my end!...Besides, I'm a minister & I happen to know a "deacon" on this thread who already has the windshield-bagged bird in his freezer & has promised to cut me in on the deal with a golden-pheasant dinner & a free high-$$$ private hunt out of some of the proceeds!!! :D

I do see your point. However, Cabela's has been doing this for a number of years. So far I don't believe there has been any evidence of the kind of abuses and stupidity you mentioned.
Reread my whole post.
My two points were the safety issue such as people being out there that didnt need to be plus why does everything have to be about money?
Im glad Cabelas has been doing this for years.What have they gained,more sales??

Reread my whole post.
My two points were the safety issue such as people being out there that didnt need to be plus why does everything have to be about money?
Im glad Cabelas has been doing this for years.What have they gained,more sales??

Hi Shooter. Sorry, I wasn't trying to belittle your points. I understand your points exactly. I'm simply saying that in all the years that Cabelas has been doing this gimmick I haven't heard of a single person going pheasant hunting just because you have a chance of winning a million dollars. I just don't think that happens.

As for what Cabelas gains...It gets people in their stores. In order to be eligable to win the $$$ I think you have to stop in at Cabelas and register. If you happen to bag the million dollar bird you are out of luck if you haven't registered.

Myself and a hunting partner shot a banded rooster near Huron but it was not part of the Million $ contest. The band read "Rooster Rush 2010 Huron Chamber of Commerce". After calling the number on the band we were advised it was a $100 reward band. They said they released 10 birds in the area.

What they don't tell you is.....they released the birds into the mature bird pen....they released them alright.......just to another pen :D:laugh:

Aberdeen is looking to get more dollars up their way vs. Winner, Mitchell, Redfield's Convention Bureau. Yes, it would be a promotional tool. Has Cabela's gave away any big prizes in the past years with their banded roosters?

List

Looks like Brown County has their first 10 bands registered.

http://www.milliondollarbird.com/?q=bands-pulled

A few $100 winners and a couple $250 winners so far. Not too shabby for just being the 2nd full weekend into the SD season. Of the 10, 8 look like they are locals to Brown County...remaining two are from Wisconsin.

Good luck to the lucky band come January 7th.

Any guesses how many of the 100 birds are bagged by the end of the season?

Neil
www.uplandgameadventures.com

Back