Michigan to Mitchell SD

2 Labs

Hello, typically when we go to out west my wife and I travel through the UP and stay at our son and daughter in laws outside the twin cities before driving into SD. This year we plan to drive straight to South Dakota spending one night on the road. Any suggestions which town to stop in? I would like to be able to hunt in South Dakota the afternoon of the 2nd day. Just do not think I can drive it straight through. Thanks, 2 Labs

My partner and I do this trip every November. We always stop at Cabela's in Mitchell to buy licenses, hunting/shooting stuff we don't need and talk to guys coming and going bird hunting.

We usually stop for the night in La Crosse, WI. Plenty of nice places to stay and eat. Easy drive to Mitchell the next morning.

NB

If you are coming from the UP and heading to SD I am assuming you probably travel through the Twin Cities. I would stay some place west of the Twin Cities to avoid coming through there during rush hour in the morning. Doing that should get you into pheasant country by the afternoon of the second day.

If you are coming from the UP and heading to SD I am assuming you probably travel through the Twin Cities. I would stay some place west of the Twin Cities to avoid coming through there during rush hour in the morning. Doing that should get you into pheasant country by the afternoon of the second day.

I agree with Zeb! get west of the Twin Cities before you stop. Mankato is a nice town with plenty of new places to eat and nicer hotels.

Natty, thanks. We live in the middle of the LP in Midland so the stop in Lacrosse sounds good. How far of a drive the next day to Mitchell? We are headed out on 11/18 this year then will spend Thanksgiving at the kids before heading home. Last year went out the first of November and had to come home via Chicago from the twin cities because of 6-8" of snow in the UP. Thanks everyone for the responses!

Mitchell, SD

I have been going from Gaylord, MI to Mitchell, SD for the past seven years. We go through the UP and we drop down to LaCrosse and over on 90. Is it quicker to cut across to the Twin Cities and then down? Any input would be appreciated.

Headed to Mitchell end of October. Plan on staying in Lacrosse WI for the night noticed quite few motels when we pass by the town. Any place in particular is better then another as far being dog friendly? Thanks, 2 Labs

LaCrosse hotels

Good evening! Our group had been going out to South Dakota for about 11 years now. We leave from Gaylord and go to through the UP. We have stopped in Lacrosse a few times on the way back. We have stayed at the Econo Lodge, exit #3. Great restaurant next door called Edwardo's. I have two golden's and my buddy a English pointer. In the past, they have had a limit on size and number but we just tell them that we have a dog and ask for a room in the back so that we can run the dogs outside. Never a problem. Good luck and good hunting! John from Gaylord

Back