Lutefisk Supper

Dakotazeb

I'm not Norwegian, actually German and Danish. But I grew up in a Norwegian community in Minnesota. I have always remembered in the fall the Lutefisk suppers at the local Lutheran churches. Also remember the smell. Anyway, I've wanted to try Lutefisk again to see if it's actually as bad as I remember and stated by many. My wife wasn't going to be home for supper tonight so I thought this was my opportunity to try making Lutefisk. It actually wasn't that bad. No strong odor or taste. It was flakey but yet a little gelatin like. Dipped it in hot melted butter like you would lobster along with some salt and pepper. For sides I have hash browns and peas. From what I've read peas and potatoes are a must with Lutefisk. Here is a photo of the dish before I ate.

LutefiskSupper.jpg

Yuk, I'll eat the fish, but peas are made for shooting out of straws and sling shots,LOL. I am Noviegin, and I like the stuf. I like it baked with a little lemon pepper butter basted on. PS St. Pauls LOL.

Last edited:
That looks like a chunk of Walleye:)
I'm not Norwegian, my Wife is, she has not had Lutefisk and I can't talk Her into trying it.:confused:
I'm gonna have to do like You Zeb, try it sometime when I'm home alone. Maybe on a hunting trip.:cheers:
Hows it go with beer?

Lute-a-fisk, lute-a-fisk
Lefse, lefse
Ve're from Ballard High School
Ya sure ya betcha

Had lute every Christmas and New Years with my grand parents that raised me. Served with cream sauce, pepper it was OK, but we've replaced it with halibut, salmon, crab, prawns all from local waters in Alaska

I'm not Norwegian, actually German and Danish. But I grew up in a Norwegian community in Minnesota. I have always remembered in the fall the Lutefisk suppers at the local Lutheran churches. Also remember the smell. Anyway, I've wanted to try Lutefisk again to see if it's actually as bad as I remember and stated by many. My wife wasn't going to be home for supper tonight so I thought this was my opportunity to try making Lutefisk. It actually wasn't that bad. No strong odor or taste. It was flakey but yet a little gelatin like. Dipped it in hot melted butter like you would lobster along with some salt and pepper. For sides I have hash browns and peas. From what I've read peas and potatoes are a must with Lutefisk. Here is a photo of the dish before I ate.

LutefiskSupper.jpg

George, it is a Christmas eve tradition at our house. We eat it much like you but roll it up in lefsa lots of butter and salt & pepper. It's fantastic and I can't wait to get my fill of it. it's pretty much all I eat on Christmas Eve. :10sign::10sign::10sign:

Just a note. It has to be cooked much like lobster. Water w/little/salt brought to a boil. In goes the fish...as soon as the fish flakes off. Take it out and drain in colander. Then into a glass bowl. If you cook it too long, might just as well throw it out. It will get like jello and slimy. NO CREAM SAUCE STUFF>..YUK, YUK, YUK!!! Roll it up in Lefsa..YA, YA, YA..butter, salt & Pepper

I soaked it in cold water for an hour, took it out and salted it. Let sit for 30 min. then rinsed off the salt. That is suppose to firm it up. Placed the fish in a glass baking dish and sealed it with aluminum foil. Baked at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. I cooks in it's own juices. It was nice and flakey. Never heard of rolling it in lefsa.

Vikings, Vikings Rah, Rah, Rah.. Lutefisk and Lefsa Ya, Ya, Ya. It's a Minnesota thing. :cheers:

I am part Norwegian, but that stuff has never appealed to me.

I am part Norwegian, but that stuff has never appealed to me.

Eat it done right and it's very good. Eat it done wrong and you will never want to eat it again. It's just that kind of thing.

I hunt with the boys from Olsen Fish in MPLS. Largest producer of lutefisk in the country, yet they sell less every year. I went thru the factory last year and you would not beleive the process and looks of the stuff. I will eat just about anything but have not tried it yet. My whole neighborhood is Sweedes and Norwegins. 6 Lurthern churches within 5 miles of me an Olsens supplys them all. They sell herring mostly.

What I remember of Lutefisk growing up in a Norwegian community in Minnesota where the Lutheran churches had a Lutefisk supper every fall is that it smelled terrible and was slimey like jello in texture. Of course that was 50 years ago. I've wanted to try it again just to see if it was as bad as I remembered. I think I did a good job of preparing and cooking it as it turned out to be fairly firm and flakey. I was not strong tasting at all. In fact it really didn't have a lot of flavor to it. Is it something I'd make again? Yeah, I think so. But not anything I'm rushing back to the store to buy more right now. Maybe next fall again.

From everything I've read how you prepared and cook it is very critical. Overcooking and they say you end up with a bowl of fishy jello.

I hunt with the boys from Olsen Fish in MPLS. Largest producer of lutefisk in the country, yet they sell less every year. I went thru the factory last year and you would not beleive the process and looks of the stuff. I will eat just about anything but have not tried it yet. My whole neighborhood is Sweedes and Norwegins. 6 Lurthern churches within 5 miles of me an Olsens supplys them all. They sell herring mostly.

When it comes to herring I want the skin on chunk Gaff herring, not the fillets. The only way herring is good is with the skin on it. Olsen supplies most of the fish on the holidays. There's the Day fish market in Day Minnesota. Day is between Mora and Cambridge. west of Hwy 65 something like 10 miles. Just fallow the signs to Day. We always got our pales of herring from them.

Lutefisk

We've been doing it in the microwave the last few years and it works good. You probably remember the romegrot, sutsupa, lefse that goes with it. Always had it with meatballs and potatoes. I'll try it with peas. Good call on that. Thanks.

We've been doing it in the microwave the last few years and it works good. You probably remember the romegrot, sutsupa, lefse that goes with it. Always had it with meatballs and potatoes. I'll try it with peas. Good call on that. Thanks.

What the heck are romegrot and sutsupa??

100 percent norsk

Romegrot is a dessert made from cream and the other thing is a warm fruit soup. All good stuff. I'm sure my spelling is not quite right. I sort of grew up on all that stuff. All four of my grandparents came over on the boat, so the recipes came with them. I should be out your way on the 26th, weather permitting. I hope the birds will sit a little tighter this time.

Back