Low area bushes recommendations

sdviking

Hey guys looking for a little advice on what bushes to plant on the down slope of a draw, still about 10 feet above water level when at it's highest point.

I have planted lilacs on one side on the top of the ridge and on the other side two rows of red cedars. I want to put a row of bushes next to the cedars on the downslope side. Plus another row of bushes next to the lilacs on the down ward side. Both new rows will go in this Fall or next Spring.

Zone 3 for hardiness. Maybe Crabberry bushes?

Thoughts

Viking

Crabberry? Crabapple or Cranberry?

I personally like dogwoods and ninebark for lower areas where you want shrubbery without height such that you'll have to worry about hawks and owls perching in it.

didn't think of those

Thanks for the input, I will look them up and see if it fits the location.

Was lucky enough to put wood chips around the lilacs and cedar trees this past weekend prior to it raining about 3/4 of an inch. All bushes show signs of new growth which is encouraging.

Attached are a few photos.

SE Corner May16, shows the slope of the area I am working on
SE Draw May 16, shows the reverse view. Shows the row of lilacs
Draw West side 2 row, shows the two rows of cedars.

Lots of work ahead. I need to move some top soil to fill in the holes in the field left by removing the rock piles. The clay I would like to use to make an approach.

To the west I still have to plant 3 acres of blizzard buster.

SDviking

Slowly coming together

Was back at the honey hole for a few days after the fourth of July. I used a New Holland Uniloader to remove 15 dump truck loads of clay and 10 loads of topsoil which I am using on other parts of the property. So now the low spot is V in shape and a out the size of a basketball court. We received 1.5 inches of rain and now there is about 2 foot of water in the low spot.

Lilacs on the east are looking good, and cedars on the west are doing Ok, probably an 80% survival rate on the cedars, 100% on the lilacs so far.

bushes

I planted a bunch of blackberry bushes along draws and fencerows. We are in a different zone though. Had plenty to pick and eat this year and they provide good cover when mixed into trees or fencelines.

black berries

Hey thanks for the input. I have raspberries in the garden, and didn't think of maybe putting them out along with the lilacs. Wasn't sure if they could handle the stress of native grasses always trying to push them out. But with all the off shoots from the raspberries I can give it a try. Good Idea and thanks. Viking

I see honeysuckle a lot used for breaks etc. In MN maybe that work? Then inside the honeysuckle they plant crabapple pheasants seem to live it... Especially near corn & cattails...

Raspberry & blackberry be cool mine ripen around 4th of July. They make nice thick wall if bushes & produce fruits. Win win...

I'd say look into Nanking bush cherry or other bush cherrys they also do similar to Berry's just not as thick from bottom up

Small Munsterland owner

Thank you for the suggestion. I do like idea of Nanking bush cherry, Hope to prep an area this fall so I am ready to plant those next spring, I'm thinking a small patch of 4-6 on the upper SE side of the low spot, with the lilacs to the east. Crab Apples, I 'd like to plant 4-6 on the NE side of the dam, along the run off ditch, I don't think I want to plant them too close to the cedar rows, due to issues apples have with cedars. Love working on this area of the property, it has great potential to be a nice honey hole.

Just planted some biologic on a few of the areas west of the low spot, that didn't produce due to lack of rain in June. Not expecting much of a result due to late planting but I thought I would give it a try.

Viking

Thank you for the suggestion. I do like idea of Nanking bush cherry, Hope to prep an area this fall so I am ready to plant those next spring, I'm thinking a small patch of 4-6 on the upper SE side of the low spot, with the lilacs to the east. Crab Apples, I 'd like to plant 4-6 on the NE side of the dam, along the run off ditch, I don't think I want to plant them too close to the cedar rows, due to issues apples have with cedars. Love working on this area of the property, it has great potential to be a nice honey hole.

Just planted some biologic on a few of the areas west of the low spot, that didn't produce due to lack of rain in June. Not expecting much of a result due to late planting but I thought I would give it a try.

Viking

U have time with the bio logic u looking for a deer plot? Try some dikon radish turnip sugar beat mixs many company's put out I like frigid forage I'll get the exact name I plant it in late august after I pull my potatoes & sweet corn done... I've seen pheasant in sugar beat turnip mix's in SD & ND ...

If no Nanking bush cherry try Hanson's they will produce within 2 years... They come in 3 packs I'll get the nursery we used...

food plot

I have three areas in my soybean field that were to wet to plant to soybeans this spring. Last weekend I hooked the digger up to get the weeds under control. Now I am interested in putting in some winter peas or turnips or clover, so that after the beans are harvested there will still be something there to keep the wild life around. I did plant some turnips/clover mix on the back side of the dam instead of leaving that area black. It rained the next morning so I am hoping for good results.

Never really planted food plots for deer, just pheasants, but the winter forage blend has me interested in giving it a try.

Any advice or mistakes not to make are appreciated. V/r SDviking

I see honeysuckle a lot used for breaks etc. In MN maybe that work? Then inside the honeysuckle they plant crabapple pheasants seem to live it... Especially near corn & cattails...

Raspberry & blackberry be cool mine ripen around 4th of July. They make nice thick wall if bushes & produce fruits. Win win...

I'd say look into Nanking bush cherry or other bush cherrys they also do similar to Berry's just not as thick from bottom up

Careful on the type of honeysuckle you use. We have a big problem with it here in Missouri but mostly in forested areas. It can spread and be hard to get rid of. It is good cover but it chokes everything else out. Sumac is one too that can produce food and be a little thinner.

I have three areas in my soybean field that were to wet to plant to soybeans this spring. Last weekend I hooked the digger up to get the weeds under control. Now I am interested in putting in some winter peas or turnips or clover, so that after the beans are harvested there will still be something there to keep the wild life around. I did plant some turnips/clover mix on the back side of the dam instead of leaving that area black. It rained the next morning so I am hoping for good results.

Never really planted food plots for deer, just pheasants, but the winter forage blend has me interested in giving it a try.

I have no good tips on food plots lol I just plant sugar beats turnip's & radish types to help put good stuff back in soil after we pick potatoes & veggies outta my garden & it helps to arrow a deer or 2 also we plant squash pumpkins & Mellon's with the deer food plot deer & rabbit are thick come Oct/Nov. Actually seen a hen turkey this June ... If u plant it they will come lol

If u leave the frigid forage turnip sugar beat radish mix over winter it will sprout the next spring & provide some vertical cover doubt hens will nest in it but could bring chicks in it after they hatch it gets 3+ feet tall if left & has moisture...

The nursery I ordered the the Hansen's bush cherry they were outta Nanking bush cherry was called GURNEY'S seed & nursery outta greendale, IN... some very cool stuff to order in there. . can't wait for my plum & peach trees to produce...

Maybe some Lil big apple trees could be good??? Shorter then standard apple trees & produce in 2 years avian ppredators mite not like them as much...???

Hope some of this mite help... There is another nursery online I looked at had mostly fruit trees & Berry's but lots suited for northern climites like MN WI SD ND etc. Something ez like fruit trees online.com or something good for a 2nd variety of fruit trees to help pollinate etc

Careful on the type of honeysuckle you use. We have a big problem with it here in Missouri but mostly in forested areas. It can spread and be hard to get rid of. It is good cover but it chokes everything else out. Sumac is one too that can produce food and be a little thinner.

Good thing to mention...

Here in MN SD & ND wear I seen them there was no sign of spreading but these are hevi farming areas they use them to catch soil or as snow breaks etc. So thick u can't walk through unless u find a spot to crawl through to other side lol they must use the not so invasive type of honeysuckle... Good thing to do so research on b4 planting...

Here is the name of the frigid forage food plot mix I use... Big-N-beasty brassicas

If u go on the frigid forage web site u can see all the mix's & also punch in ur zip code to find a dealer near u its kinda a pain to find but cheaper then ordering online from them...

Future Projects

I was able to plant some Fall small grain mixture along the borders of my soybeans, the area that was to wet to plant this spring, My brother took the bag of turnips and beets and planted an area surrounded by trees. I will have to look into the forage you recommend. I'm always willing to try new stuff to see how it produces. Rains seem to keep splitting our area either going north or south.... Sometime this fall I will start ground prep to put in some more bushes next Spring. Leaning towards a berry producer for sure. Apple trees, Uggg, I planted two this spring and failed protect them with fence. For some reason the deer ate them right down to the ground. I think the next time I plant Apple trees I will establish the fence first.... I really thought the deer would leave the trees alone until Fall, but I was wrong.

Attached is a picture of this years hatch. Most are about the size of Partridge already. giddy Up!

SDViking

I was able to plant some Fall small grain mixture along the borders of my soybeans, the area that was to wet to plant this spring, My brother took the bag of turnips and beets and planted an area surrounded by trees. I will have to look into the forage you recommend. I'm always willing to try new stuff to see how it produces. Rains seem to keep splitting our area either going north or south.... Sometime this fall I will start ground prep to put in some more bushes next Spring. Leaning towards a berry producer for sure. Apple trees, Uggg, I planted two this spring and failed protect them with fence. For some reason the deer ate them right down to the ground. I think the next time I plant Apple trees I will establish the fence first.... I really thought the deer would leave the trees alone until Fall, but I was wrong.

Attached is a picture of this years hatch. Most are about the size of Partridge already. giddy Up!

SDViking[

Apple trees are a pain we planted 2 apple trees & 2 peach trees this spring the deer hammered the apple trees & a plum trees I now fenced off lol but left the peach trees alone??? Maybe peach trees mite be the ticket??? I'm sure the deer eat peaches ???

Good you are seeing pheasant chicks that's always a nice pay off

Update

Looks like my row of lilis made it and 70 percent of the two rows of ceders. Dam is now 6 foot deep and the bottom clay is drying out so I should be able to go a little deeper this fall. Turnips are looking good at 18 inches tall on the back side of the dam. My sorghum food plot that looked sick earlier this season has exploded and is now shoulder high. It's a plot the size of a football field with corn on one side and harvested beans on the other. I was able to prep two rows. One on each side of the dam to plant to bushes next spring.. viking

Freedom Honeysuckle. Love it. Awesome. One of my top 5 shrubs.

Willows and better yet silver maple for low spots.

My cedars grow fast than rocky mountain juniper. I do not plant woody cover to feed birds in any way shape or form.

Russian olive puts on mass fast to.

Low bushes

UGUIDE, will have to look into the honeysuckle, never planted them before. Russian Olives, don't they have thorns on them? Those trees do seem to draw pheasants. The cedars I planted with the intent of wind break, and winter cover on the west side of the dam. Two rows started but would like to add a third next Spring. I definitely want a row of bushes next to the lilacs that produces a berry if possible...

Also hoping for cat tails along the banks but what do you think of alfalfa on the drier sides or just go with native grasses or tall Canary grass..... this area is intended to be a little 2 acre honey hole. sdviking

Back