Lots of hunters

Yes I have been hunting the plains since the 90s. I’ve only driven the last 4 years, flying with a stashed vehicle in Seattle. Since retirement I have stashed a trailer in MT and drive just a car. Most NR licenses I’ve had in a year is 4. You must take a different route than me to see that many ruffeds, the amount of spruce chickens by the border was amazing.
Well, the long drive to/from ak is a love hate sort of deal. My timing must have been off...saw very few spruce hens near the border this year, but gobs of them last year. It varies y to y...

That wouldn't surprise me. Times they are a changin...

I just hope it doesn't become a cash cow like south Dakota, where farmers charge people 300 dollars a day to hunt. Those Guchie pheasant hunting ranches are starting to pop up.One of the ranches I used to hunt north of Lewistown turned into one.😐😐😐
The rich dudes are going to go and not much you can do about them. I drove across Washington to hunt pheasant last weekend and I spent nearly $300 for fuel to get there. Amagine driving to eastern Montana for hunting? WOW Lodging and food prices are out of sight too. Economics is going to solve the problems your looking at. This country going green is a bigger concern for me

Hell, Goose, before internet I was hearing about how great Montana is. I bet anyone who owned a birddog heard about the trainers spending months out there in tents. There was also Gun Dog magazine. Up until the 90's there were millions upon millions of birds killed in Iowa and Kansas. When they petered out, (except around Remi's house) those who could afford it turned their sights on S.D. and MT. I'll take mediocre hunting over looking for a parking place. I've put off Mt. for decades. Now it sounds like I'm too late.
This season, I have seen hundreds of out of state hunters!! Jesus! What yhe hell is going on? Not all of these Gucci, suburban driving blue bloods are having success. I know that.

There still are places with many wild birds. We just have to travel further to find them and are fewer places like that to find. Nothing ever stays a secret very long in this info crazed world. Enjoy what we have today, no promises for tomorrow. Keep family and friends close.
I don't like seeing these pheasant hunting ranches popping up in Montana. That is a bad deal for free hunting. These are not local ranchers doing this.These are rich California's with major cash.

I don't like seeing these pheasant hunting ranches popping up in Montana. That is a bad deal for free hunting. These are not local ranchers doing this.These are rich California's with major cash.
What pheasant ranches? Can you give me some locations and phone numbers?

Ha ha good one
I would guess the number of hunters is less now? I always hear "yup, I'm going out to Montana to start the season."

Mainly from rich guys, or guys who "work from home."
By now they should all be heading to Arizona to go after "scalies."

Kinda what turned me off to that chubby guy from north Dakota with a podcast. He's talked down about pheasant hunting on multiple occasions, dismissing them as old hat and running his mouth about how many he shoots a year. If someone wants to turn their nose up at roosters in favor of chasing around little quails and partridge that's fine. In my book a wild ring neck will always be number one. I'll step off the soapbox now.

I would guess the number of hunters is less now? I always hear "yup, I'm going out to Montana to start the season."

Mainly from rich guys, or guys who "work from home."
By now they should all be heading to Arizona to go after "scalies."

Kinda what turned me off to that chubby guy from north Dakota with a podcast. He's talked down about pheasant hunting on multiple occasions, dismissing them as old hat and running his mouth about how many he shoots a year. If someone wants to turn their nose up at roosters in favor of chasing around little quails and partridge that's fine. In my book a wild ring neck will always be number one. I'll step off the soapbox now.
The pheasant is yhe king of upland game,other than the turkey. Big game hunting is for rubes.Pheasant hunting is for educated people.

Small-town motels in MT and ND are typically around $70/night. Finding a cafe is a whole different story ... Gas is indeed the largest expense.

Small-town motels in MT and ND are grea typically around $70/night. Finding a cafe is a whole different story ... Gas is indeed the largest expense.
Great comments. Cafe's in small towns can be terrible!! They can also be good. I'm not going to mention any names.Montana has been swamped with bird hunters this fall.

Hell, Goose, before internet I was hearing about how great Montana is. I bet anyone who owned a birddog heard about the trainers spending months out there in tents. There was also Gun Dog magazine. Up until the 90's there were millions upon millions of birds killed in Iowa and Kansas. When they petered out, (except around Remi's house) those who could afford it turned their sights on S.D. and MT. I'll take mediocre hunting over looking for a parking place. I've put off Mt. for decades. Now it sounds like I'm too late.
Montana has been hunted really hard by out of state hunters this fall.I don't know why.One of the places I like to hunt,had 4 guys from Minnesota on it the I there day.Thumbs down.

Back