lots of birds!!!

benelli-banger

was out for a grad party this weekend...impressed by the number of birds seen! all the locals were commenting about the birds as well...good sign. lots of moisture...maybe too much, but it should bode well for the grass and insect production. the late spring will delay nesting a bit, as the birds didn't have the needed green grass to eat to produce their eggs (per an article I read recently). overall, things look good...crops are delayed, could be some corn that doesn't get planted...crop insurance doesn't cover the corn if planted after some date in late May...26th? 28th?

Mike,

That is some positive news! Might mean some younger birds for the opener but I have seen it before with very young roosters in the first part of the season. Hopefully they produce lots of little ones!

was out for a grad party this weekend...impressed by the number of birds seen! all the locals were commenting about the birds as well...good sign. lots of moisture...maybe too much, but it should bode well for the grass and insect production. the late spring will delay nesting a bit, as the birds didn't have the needed green grass to eat to produce their eggs (per an article I read recently). overall, things look good...crops are delayed, could be some corn that doesn't get planted...crop insurance doesn't cover the corn if planted after some date in late May...26th? 28th?

Do you think most of the farmers were able to get there crops in time?

yes....I chat with several of them regularly...they are close to being done with beans at this point...it did dry up starting around May 8th or so...

My nephew how lives in northern Indiana saw a hen with 10 chicks following her. They have a butt load of snow this year and a cold wet spring . So maybe we will get some good news this year

South Dakota is all over the place this year. In my area it is dry, in some parts of the state it has been very wet and are still planting. We will see.

another system moved through a good hunk of central SD early today...it appears to be over my general area right now...they want rain about now...again, temps are pretty ideal for chicks, whereas last year about now they were REALLY hot, as in causing chick mortality...

Haven't seen any wild pheasant chicks yet, here in NE South Dakota. Really thought we would be seeing them by now. Farmers mowing hay fields so not a good sign for nesting pheasants. SDviking

Yesterday I was cutting some first year alfalfa seeding. That must be the perfect environment for chicks. Small bugs and worms everywhere, a lot of diversity of plant specie. I did see quite a few chicks too.

Back