lost a friend

Jet

I don't post here often but lurk frequently. Our lab unexpectantly passed away last week and my son has been heartbroke. Jet was his first puppy and they were best buddies. He was a fine hunting companion as well. All that being said we are looking for a new puppy, either a lab or a gsp. I know the timing is not great as most don't breed this time of year and it is to late to get a pup ready for the upcoming season but if anyone knows of any upcoming litters in Kansas or eastern Missouri please let me know.

On the bright side for all the quail hunters, I was expecting to have one of the best years in recent memory in my neck of the woods. I've been seeing quite a few pairs on the roads every day for the last 2 months. In years past I might only see 2 or 3 on my road all summer.

20131228_123804_zps027821ad.jpg

Last edited:
So sorry to hear - please accept my heartfelt condolences from Canada. Good luck on your search for a new pup. I lost my lab in April and have my new pup now, but she won't be hunting this fall.
Dave

Sorry to hear about your loss. I am on my first bird dog still and am dreading the day that happens. Keep your head up and know you got a hunting buddy watching from above. Good luck in your search for a new pup and do your best to keep your head up.

JEF

That's the problem with dogs. We almost always outlive them. Hard to believe that they can become as much a family member as they seem to.

Can't give you much input on a new dog except this. It's not unlike hiring. It's much better to make the right hire than it is to make a quick hire.

All dogs go to heaven...hope things get better for your son. I've lost two over the past year and understand your grieving. Best of luck on a new pup soon.

Turtle,

I don't really know anything about the breed so I'll have to do some research but I'd be more than happy to take the boy for a look. I'm in Iola most everyday at some point. Shoot me a pm with contact info please.

Jet, there is no good way or time to lose a dog. Even at 15, their time has passed too soon and the memories persist because of the deep value we give them in our lives. I do have pups, but they're English setters. If the fall is as beautiful as the grass stands are right now, you and your son need to be rustling the grass together with a new and inspirational partner. I wish for you that kind of season!!!

Sorry for your loss Jet. Losing a dog is always hard to go through, the best medicine is puppy breath. Good luck in your search, I will keep my eyes and ears open.

My sympathies.

Man and dog is the greatest deal in partnerships on earth, but somehow time disappears between pup's arrival and mourning the loss. It is really painful for me.

Best wishes.

Troy,

I've looked at your pups before and would love to have one. I lost my 12 year old setter last summer and never did replace him. Unfortunatly my wife is totally against another setter for some reason. I don't think they shed any worse than a lab but that is her excuse. My last one was alittle high strung which was great in the field but got us in trouble at home.:eek:

Troy,

I've looked at your pups before and would love to have one. I lost my 12 year old setter last summer and never did replace him. Unfortunatly my wife is totally against another setter for some reason. I don't think they shed any worse than a lab but that is her excuse. My last one was alittle high strung which was great in the field but got us in trouble at home.:eek:

Jet, I put two of my all-time best in the ground last November and lost a bitch this spring in her 7th week of pregnancy. I understand your pain! You have to get what you want and what pleases the family. If I hear of anything, I'll let you know. Check out gundogcentral.com, gundogsonline.com, and gundogbreeders.com. Might find something close to home!

Jet I know of a litter on the ground right now up in Iowa near Humeston. I believe it's an all yellow litter. Talked to him a couple of weekends ago and they will be ready to go soon if not now. Pretty sure he had a few not spoken for.

I have had 2 labs from him and both outstanding gundogs. This guy has some of the nicest labs I've ever been around. Calm, great house dogs, and all business in the field.

I can get you his number if your interested.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your dog... I wanted to let you know that earlier this year I picked up a GSP from Muddy Creek Kennels in southwestern Missouri (near Joplin). I'm really happy with him thus far. Sorry again and good luck on your search.

- Chris

Sorry this sad event was what brought your thread up. Hope to hear more from you. Glad you're in the hunt for a pup. Nothing like a pup to chase away the gone dog blues. Your son looks like a fine lad who a pup and dog would love to pal with. I don't know if you've ever considered a rescue dog. There are now specific breed rescue organizations. I myself got a dandy 9 mo. old rescue Brittany back in August '07 who was successful the very first season. Just a thought; I know rescues don't appeal to all.

Thanks everyone for all the well wishes and ideas.As everyone who has ever owned a dog knows it is a hard time when they leave us but life does go on. We are adjusting and my son has learned a hard but important life lesson, nothing lasts forever. Hopefully we'll find a new pup soon. I have considered getting the boy a pup and trying to find a rescue or started dog for myself so we don't totally miss this season. Time will tell. Keep the ideas and leads coming.

Life has been to busy for me lately but I'm off now for the holidays and wanted to give an update of my search for a new pup. First of all thanks to all for the leads, advice, help, condolences, ect.
I was able to locate a pup about the end of August that was 8 weeks old and I just so happened to be familiar with the mothers bloodlines. The father was an unknown but had a nice pedigree. He had never been on birds before and was up for sale as well. Long story short about a week after getting the pup home I went back and bought the sire as well. He was just over a year old at the time and had never been on birds or shot over. It has taken some work but he is looking like he is going to be a real nice dog. Hunts hard, runs well and handles pretty well with his limited training. The pup is just now a little over 5 months old and has already shown great promise. He has pointed multiple coveys of quail and made his first dead bird find just the other day. He is a handful in the house and has made my son rethink his position about wanting another puppy a couple of times but he is a great dog so far.

Father and son after a hard day in the field.

20141215_150427_zpsb47d50b5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A little play time.
20141001_184940_zpsc66ffa48.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Looks like a chip off the ole block. Happy days ahead.

Oh ! I completely understand about a pup being a handful in the house. I'm currently enduring the same frustrations. :D

Just remember the cardinal rule "A tired Shorthair is a good Shorthair"

Back