Longer Pheasant Season for SD?

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=25,81764

I hope the preserve owners and a few landowners do not kill this like they did last year.

I hope it passes also. The best thing we can do is provide comments and support for the proposed season. You can submit your comments at:

http://www.sdgfp.info/Commission/Proposals.htm

Your comments will be read to the Commissoners at the Commission meeting to be held on April 2 and 3 in Sioux Falls. It would be even better if you could attend.

Here is a example of a good comment.

I would like to voice my support for the proposed rule change extending the pheasant season. I think this is a positive step and it will continue the interest and tradition of pheasant hunting in South Dakota.

Given the relatively low hunting pressure late in the season, I would think there to be minimal impact to the pheasant population. Late season hunts can be challenging but rewarding for the avid hunter and any opportunity to further the sport with friends and children would be very welcome.

Thank you for the opportunity to comment on this proposed rule and please enact this change.

LM

I just sent 'em an e-mail with my input for the extension: reminded them Kansas' (and I think Nebraska) season goes till the end of Jan.

The preserve owners that oppose this stuff really get my dander up. The preserve owners can hunt I believe from Sept. 1 thru March 31. And what really sucks is that some of these guys are very rich. They have gone out a bought a bunch of land and turned it into a preserve. Now they have their own private hunting land for themselves and their buddies to use 7 months of the year while the rest of us get to hunt 2 1/2 months. I imagine that they do enough to make their land legally a preserve but I know for fact of several that are nothing more than a hunting place for themselves and friends. I think there needs to be stronger regs regarding the operation of a preserve.

Then they don't like it when we want an extra week to hunt. Really takes the cake, doesn't it?

Not from your area but this is interesting. It would be nice for a non res. to get out there later too, after the season closes here. To touch on the game farm thing, That is one that can definately be seen from both sides. There are several of them that for sure count on this for there living but then there are some I know personaly that simply pay a 500$ lic. for a shooting preserve and just hunt all year here. Tough issue.

Not from your area but this is interesting. It would be nice for a non res. to get out there later too, after the season closes here. To touch on the game farm thing, That is one that can definately be seen from both sides. There are several of them that for sure count on this for there living but then there are some I know personaly that simply pay a 500$ lic. for a shooting preserve and just hunt all year here. Tough issue.

In SD a person is required to pay a fee for hunting preserve on a contigious parcel of land. If he has two parcels not connected then he'd have to pay two fees in order to hunt on both parcels as a Preserve. In addition he must keep track of and report how many birds are harvested and is then required to replace each bird harvested with a pen raised bird. Just that requirement alone would prohibit most folks from applying for a hunting preserve permit just so he could hunt longer and shoot more birds. It would probably be cheaper to just pay to hunt on someone else's preserve.

LM

In SD a person is required to pay a fee for hunting preserve on a contigious parcel of land. If he has two parcels not connected then he'd have to pay two fees in order to hunt on both parcels as a Preserve. In addition he must keep track of and report how many birds are harvested and is then required to replace each bird harvested with a pen raised bird. Just that requirement alone would prohibit most folks from applying for a hunting preserve permit just so he could hunt longer and shoot more birds. It would probably be cheaper to just pay to hunt on someone else's preserve.

LM

I wish that was the case here, I am not quite sure about the particulars but The training club just has to buy a 500$ permit and then no one has to get individual permits. Otherwise we each have to obtain a free one and put ribbon on each bird, With the Game preserve lic. we don't have to do all that,And we can train with live birds and ammo all year. Actualy the neighbors love it because there is a ton of birds that fly away some on purpose and some not.

I e-mailed SD GFP in favor of this. I try and get out for a "finale" after the new year, and this year it will be tough as New Years day is a Friday and the season closes on Sunday...not much time to hunt! Seems like a good compromise in relation to the proposal that got shot down last year.

I emailed my support for the season extension to GF&P as well. The average annual pheasant mortality rate is 70%, so there's no reason from a biological standpoint not to extend the season. I've harped on this before so I'll leave it at that.

Back