Long Distance Traveling for Birds

The places I have stayed at in ND, SD, and northern Wisconsin all allow dogs inside the residence. That has included a mix of Airbnb and "cabins". It's kind of a must for us. The dogs get a good cleaning and look over, any needs get tended to, then they get to stretch out and rest on comfortable dog beds with their people.
I know I enjoy to stretch out and a good comfortable nights sleep after a hard day hunting.....I feel my lab has earned that too.
Sure, it may limit lodging options in some areas and it may add a pet fee, but in the overall scheme of things with what I have invested in my dog, equipment, etc.....it's not that big of deal.

I've done it both ways. I pulled a camper from Buffalo NY to Alberta to go bird hunting one fall, not to mention several years to Montana. Last few years I stayed at motels. Both have their pro's and cons.
A few thoughts about pulling a camper. It adds another half dozen snags that can pop up on the road, flat tires, trailer lights, etc.. For me now, a bird hunting fossil, it adds more stress to the actual drive as you have be on your toes at all times. The old computer with hair on it doesn't compute as fast as it used to and you really notice it when in heavy traffic say getting around Chicago and you are pulling a 23ft camper.That being said, I think the camper is easier on the dogs as they are used to sleeping in the same space each night and you can get them up and out to drop heat much easier in the morning.
Nobody sleeps well with restless dogs pacing and sniffing around a strange motel room all night.
From what I read on this thread, there is no perfect solution. Why haven't they invented that teleporter from Star Trek yet? "Scotty beam me and these two labs to the prairies of Alberta or the cornfields of SD. Energize!"

I have used both a trailer and an AirBnB, however with the price of fuel right now it makes more sense to rent an AirBnB than pull a trailer 6 or 7 hours.

Drew

Owning a trailer or pulling a trailer will never make good economical sense.
Ive stayed in motels that I shouldve been wearing a body condom the entire time. Unidentifiable body fluids in the shower etc.
Most motels it doesnt seem like it would be that hard to at least vacuum wall to wall between guests. Almost none do. Look along walls and in corners and be prepared to learn a lot about previous people in that room.

I know it's a bit off-topic, but what is your setup for dogs sleeping in the truck?
We have springers. 3 hole aluminum dog box that is large enough for 70-80 lb labs for sure. We have 4 dogs between us. On mild nights 3 dogs get their own spot and the 4th sleeps in the truck cab. On cold nights we will double dogs up for warmth. Have remote sensor in kennel to check temp from inside. Have done this down to single temps and 30 MPH winds and no issues at all. Should be noted that our dogs are outside dogs so this is no big deal for them. Works great for us but know it wouldn’t for some and that is fine.

Ive stayed in motels that I shouldve been wearing a body condom the entire time. Unidentifiable body fluids in the shower etc.

These two statements are ironic.

My trailer may not make economic sense, but it definitely makes hygienic sense.

BTW: The "dog rooms" in pheasant country seem to be very much as you described.

Last edited:
The places I have stayed at in ND, SD, and northern Wisconsin all allow dogs inside the residence. That has included a mix of Airbnb and "cabins". It's kind of a must for us. The dogs get a good cleaning and look over, any needs get tended to, then they get to stretch out and rest on comfortable dog beds with their people.
I know I enjoy to stretch out and a good comfortable nights sleep after a hard day hunting.....I feel my lab has earned that too.
Sure, it may limit lodging options in some areas and it may add a pet fee, but in the overall scheme of things with what I have invested in my dog, equipment, etc.....it's not that big of deal.
Never leave your dog in a cage.You let them sleep on the bed inside the room.Thats common sense.

The chaos of multiple dogs loose in the truck or hotel room is too much for this guy. Plus I like a nice stogey or 2 while I'm on the road and I don't like the dogs breathing that either.
You are missing the points Would you put your dog in a zoo.Same thing.

Good comment

Most motels it doesnt seem like it would be that hard to at least vacuum wall to wall between guests. Almost none do. Look along walls and in corners and be prepared to learn a lot about previous people in that room.
Yeah if you have dogs,you get the worst room they have,that's a given.

There goose goes again, replying and quoting his own posts. He's the only person here that ever does that.

Some of these guys get a nice topper, then put a mattress in the truck bed. That might work for ruffled grouse, but where I drive to hunt you'd be choking on dust all night due to driving gravel roads.

Back