Loan your dogs to a buddy?

nope!

I've taken my friends dog out when he couldn't go. I taught that golden how to hunt.One of my dad's dogs hunted with me a lot.We do not use e collars, or kennels. I don't think I would loan my dog out.I don't think she would hunt.

From the replies it seems like the majority of people would say no, but often circumstances are brought up. An adult son who can't be trusted with a dog in the field due to incompetence, a "friend" who you only talk to once a year, a sensitive or unsocialized dog. I understand and agree with all of that. I won't go into my entire life story, but I've known my best buddy for over 20 years, hunt with him, and have held the dog in my arms when she was only six weeks old. I spend a lot of time with her apart from hunting. A big part of the reason they let her hunt with me is they know I do everything I can to benefit and protect her. I am lucky to have a great dog to hunt with and such good friends as well. For those out there who don't have any really good friends, I hope that someday you do. It is truly one of life's great blessings.

My hunting buddy I would both let him take my dogs and also would take his dogs if I needed them. That is the only person I can think of that I would allow to do that. Actually just had a conversation earlier this week about me taking his dogs and guiding with them as his work schedule has gotten busy and he would like for them to get some work.

I've taken my friends dog out when he couldn't go. I taught that golden how to hunt.One of my dad's dogs hunted with me a lot.We do not use e collars, or kennels. I don't think I would loan my dog out.I don't think she would hunt.

WOW!
Two surprising revelations from the Goose!!
1. He has a friend!?
2. He thinks anyone would want to use his dog!😈😳

Not on your life. If someone wants to borrow my dog, they can, if I am invited as well, and then only if I approve of the hunting situation. Too much invested, both in time, money and emotion to let my hunting partners out with someone else.

My 5 year old draht is by most all accounts, a superb pheasant dog. I trained the hell out of her, she's a NAVHDA VC. That being said, she wouldn't be half the dog she is if I hadn't loaned her to my father in law every fall. He lives in SD, but doesn't have the time to train another dog (he was a died in the wool lab guy). So him and his group of buddies used Lena as their dog. She was hunting 3-4 days a week. She saw hundreds and hundreds of wild birds in her first three years. I could never have given her that education.

Best choice I ever made.

Now when we hunt together, she goes with him on one side and I take the pup on my side. It's worked out great.

Edit: I should note that he is a veterinarian, so I was never worried about the well being of my dog!

Last edited:
It’s like lending your buddy your crotch rocket…most of the time not a good idea! My dog responds to my certain body language, certain sounds of my whistle, and commands. I think he would be confused and not listen, because he’s confused. Probably say no just because I don’t think the buddy or dog would have a good time. If he would listen I’d say yes, just like the crotch rocket….you wreck it you buy it. Would I ever borrow someone’s dog? Yeah, if the dog would listen and work for me, but if It would not listen nah, doesn’t sound like a good time.

There's certainly a difference between family vs friends and a family member that's also a Vet is also a game changer.

There's certainly a difference between family vs friends and a family member that's also a Vet is also a game changer.
I generally agree with your point, although I certainly have friends that I would happily loan my dog to and family that would never in a million years get my dog! Haha.

I have, and probably will again in the future. I hunt a lot, so not a lot of opportunity to loan them out. As far as hunting with someone else they would hunt with anybody. If I'm there they do want to hunt with me.

I worry about my dogs enough when I am hunting with them. It would take an incredibly special set of circumstances before I allowed someone to take one of them hunting.

Hunted ND in December 3 or 4yrs ago by myself, no dog. Stopped at a farm to ask for permission to hunt. Turns out where I wanted to hunt was the farmer's dad’s place. We jawed for a good hour and then he mentioned his son was home from school, and then stunned me by offering to let me take his son's lab hunting with me the next day. I told him I wasn’t comfortable with that, then he went one further and offered me his son to go hunting with. No Bull. I accepted that offer, came back the next morning, and the son & dog, a ranch hand and myself, off we went.
I’ve met a lot of nice farmers in my life but only 1 or 2 that reached that level of hospitality. The other in Colorado who we stopped to ask permission (was granted) and told me and my brother to make ourselves at home while he went to the store! Literally left his door open for us, and left.

I've hunted with my son, who is now 39, for over 30 years. He knows how I care for our dogs, knows how they behave in the field and how they act when they get birdy. I have in the past, and will again lend him my dog(s) for both ducks and pheasants. He well knows if anything happens to them that is his doing, he'll be at the top of my S-list.

Back